THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need a recommendation for a Riflemaker M98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a recommendation for a Riflemaker M98
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted
I have a pair of Satterlee M98 actions and turkish blanks that I have had since 2010 and 2013 that I would like to find good tradesman to complete.
Sometimes life get's in the way of getting things done. Most of the connections I use to have,have either retired or passed. Thanks

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are blessed in the US with very talented gunsmiths who can do the commission and do it well. Some will take 3-5 years to complete. Iron out the details in advance.
Don’t waste pretty walnut on a rifle that looks good but doesn’t fit.
If it was me. I’d get hold of James Tucker near Medford Oregon 1 541 601 4960 jctstocker@charter.net. Get fitted by him or a highly reputable stock fitter, usually at high end shotgun stores or net search. Send the measurement to James and have him do his magic. You will get a tux that fits you.
Look into the American Custom Gunmaker’s Guild and browse their directory. Here’a a few names off memory at the moment.
Goseph Smithson, Darcy Echols, Stuart Satterlee, Al Lind, mark Penrod, Lone Paul, Reto Buehler, Gene Simillion. We have a few acomplished smiths on this forum also. Steven Todd Hughes, Jim Kobe and more. I hope I didn’t screw up their name spelling.
Attend the annual ACGG show and feast your eyes. You will find someone. Enjoy the journey, congratulations.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember the name but his handle on this forum is Gunmaker in S Dakota. His rifles are exquisite.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cannot forget Duane Wiebe.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Well,I was hoping that the backlogs weren't running that long.If anybody is less than 2 years please drop me a PM.

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not go back to the Maker who made the actions - in this case MR. Satterlee himself.

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
James Anderson is the man behind the Gunmaker alias and he builds a fine rifle, as do the other gentlemen mentioned. Also, Ralf Martini is very talented. But I agree with the consensus that it will take 2 to three years for the finished rifle...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have all of this - CALL STUART! He is very good at his craft.

If you are bargain hunting, don't. These are superb actions and deserve a pro who will do it right.

If you are hesitant, contact me and we can discuss a deal on those actions and blanks....

I am not a gunmaker but know good when I see it. His actions are good.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Kolo Pan & Dogcat, call Stuart he's working on one for me right now and his completion estimate was not 2 years and I felt his estimate was quite reasonable.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Have to agree with Kolo Pan & Dogcat, call Stuart he's working on one for me right now and his completion estimate was not 2 years and I felt his estimate was quite reasonable.

I took your advice and contacted Stu....we shall see what happens.

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Ok talked to Stuart and he is going to build me a 505 Gibbs which he can start after Gundog. Me and Stu have had the Gibbs project on ice for many moons...so it's a win win for both of us.
As far as my Rigby's I'm talking to three guild members currently. Time to me is important and one gentleman can start the projects beginning the first of the year. I'll post when things get cemented. Thanks

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FAST996

In addition to the calibers, it would be fun to hear what your plans are for the two rifles that you will have done up for you. You know, barrels and wood and style and all of that good stuff.

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAST996:
Most of the connections I use to have, have either retired or passed.

Too true.

A .505 by the original maker is a fine solution.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
FAST996

In addition to the calibers, it would be fun to hear what your plans are for the two rifles that you will have done up for you. You know, barrels and wood and style and all of that good stuff.

I found a blank for the 505 Gibbs to send to Stuart. I think it rings all the bells.

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Ooooooooooo WWWOOOWWW!
Call me. call me!

I am backed up though and Stu builds a pretty nice rifle.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Ooooooooooo WWWOOOWWW!
Call me. call me!

I am backed up though and Stu builds a pretty nice rifle.

Backed up sucks! I'm really curious these days about far far newer tech. than manual and hand tools.

With virtually every barrel contour being different, barreled action differences in general. Figure out how to scan barreled actions and stocks then combine the two for inlet and shape. Hand finishing and checkering is where the human takes over.
Plus, who knows what else a guy could do with this.

Hit this link.

any thoughts?

ttps://oqton.com/geomagic-designx/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=H%20-%20Geomagic%20Design%20X%20-%20US&utm_adgroup=Design_X&utm_content=&utm_term=&msclkid=b1f01dc5dd5a10dc3687799bf845dea4

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Stu
I'd love to have the latest & greatest in software. But...

My Milltronics can digitize the profile along the side of a barrel held between centers. Then export a dxf from the DOS software for the Renishaw. Import it into Vellum and offset the radius of the probe. Import the offset dxf into the Milltronics as a path for a 3d-sweep cycle to follow and program the barrel channel in 2 pages of conversational.

This will run a Y-Z arc just like the bullet boards we used to run at Dakota. I've only used it for pattern work as I glass all my custom work for a perfect inletting and run it on my manual duplicator.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the time will come when the whiz guys just fill in numbers and throw a block of wood into a machine and out will pop ( or poop ) a CUSTOM stock!

No chisles, rasps,files sandpaper...Gunsmiths will wear a three piece siut with shiny shoes ...and a fresh manicure.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I guess the time will come when the whiz guys just fill in numbers and throw a block of wood into a machine and out will pop ( or poop ) a CUSTOM stock!

No chisles, rasps,files sandpaper...Gunsmiths will wear a three piece siut with shiny shoes ...and a fresh manicure.

Not likely to happen in the custom world unless AI can map the grain structure, layout and any residual stress in a block of walnut first. animal

They will probably outlaw sandpaper first.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
There are folks that still want the finest and that means custom or a better word- bespoke!

My wife and watched the series below last year. You make think the opening is a little pretentious and a bit over the top, but it was a great series - bespoke British shooting suits, traditional fabric mills, Purdey shotguns, and traditional British hunting. While not British, I think there is something in all of us that yearns for the days when the sun never sat on the British Empire and officers and gentlemen were afoot in the field in the day hunting.

https://youtu.be/8dIDV_HJ01E

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fast996, Did you buy that stick of Turkish Walnut? I have been looking at that web-site and wondering how they are to deal with. All of the wood venders that I have used in the past have either passed on or retired. I haven't had a chance to work with Turkish Walnut yet (just English, Claro, and Black) and want to try using just to see what differance there is.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 307RIFLE:
Fast996, Did you buy that stick of Turkish Walnut? I have been looking at that web-site and wondering how they are to deal with. All of the wood venders that I have used in the past have either passed on or retired. I haven't had a chance to work with Turkish Walnut yet (just English, Claro, and Black) and want to try using just to see what differance there is.

I will send you a PM

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's a truly beautiful and well laid out stock blank.

This should turn out to be a great rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote