New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiebe - 6 Shooter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
9.3x64mm built on a ZG-47 action. Has Duane's pocket floor plate, which allows 5 rounds in the magazine plus one in the chamber for a 6 shooter.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet...

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Beautiful...but, as usual, the bolt's on the wrong side. Frowner

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another sweet and beautiful rifle!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle, very sleek with a wonderful stick of wood. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mike! You and Forrest are starting a trend with the 9.3x64's from Duane.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Could you share the barrel length and forend length please.

Thanks,

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what species of game do you plan to hunt with the rifle? I find it interesting that some people will hunt with a double (two shots) and others hunt with a 6 shot bolt.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...a 9,3 Brenneke
...a Mauser 98 system
...a Duane Wiebe Custom rifle

What can possibly go wrong?.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks as though a three position safety has been substituted for the backwards ZG 47 safety, definitely a good move.

I know this will meet with universal disagreement, but I like the right hand (starboard) side of the rifle better than the left (port). The undeniably spectacular figure in the wood on the left side diverts attention from the lines of the stock. Also there is a bit too much figure in the magazine section of the stock, which causes me to wonder if the strength of the stock is not compromised.

It is a beautiful piece of work, and I'm sure Duane left the choice of the stock blank up to the customer, and would not have undertaken a job if he felt there was potential weakness in the blank.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Damn that is a sweet rig. The lines flow so well that the pocket plate looks like it was born there.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An outstanding gun congratulations to the owner and to the gunsmith. Spectacular.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A lot to like about that rifle.

Curious what contour barrel it has?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mike, Glad to see that minty action got the top shelf treatment it deserved. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did a little contouring at the breech end

That's what caught my eye. Very nicely done, all the way around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more photos:

The bbl before and after contouring

Wood came from Luxus....matched set of blanks with the lower blank in the photo used on the 9.3x64mm

Dry

Wet

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those pics! I really like that contouring. MHC, please keep us in the loop as you get to use it.

Fantastic stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Alaska hunt - took a real nice moose with Phil Shoemaker. He was an excellent host and made sure we had our fill of rain & wind.

Riding the wing

posted Hide Post
impressive to say the least! what did you do to protect such a lovely rifle from the elements

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Well played...

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extremely nice rifle. Good for you and Duane.
Only a true hunter would be ok having that rifle strapped to a bush plane wing like that.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's nice! Congrats to all.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle. Congratulations to the builder and owner. I'm a true hunter, but I don't think that I could strap that rifle on a bush plane wing, especially with a portion of the stock exposed. Very nice moose also, all's well that ends well.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. Incredibly nice proportions, again.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Alaska made sure it received a proper christening and thorough baptism as well.

both Mike's and Forrest's rifles are superbly done and shoot and handle as well as they look.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice old Moose! Reminds me of some moose from over on the Yantarni side. Congrats!

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Mike

Damn fine looking rifle and damn fine looking moose.
Gratz on both counts!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike! Really nice! Thanks for sharing.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Love the 6 shooter!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Love the rifle & trophy moose!

Great to see someone put the time & effort into building a dream

rifle, then go ahead & use it. Definitely not a safe queen!

Well done

Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what needs to be done to a standard mauser action to fit the 9.3 x 64 catridge?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Excellent; makes me face the reality that I am just a hack with a file and a big hammer when I see work like this.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Excellent; makes me face the reality that I am just a hack with a file and a big hammer when I see work like this.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another fantastic rifle.
You sir have class tu2
Please add 9.3x64 to the heading of this post for easy finding "Wiebe 9.3x64 six shooter", thanks.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I too am curious as to what measures you did to protect the wood and metal.

I certainly hope I have the cajones to take my wood and blued 9.3x62 out hunting like that one day. Thanks for sharing and nice moose!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I too am curious as to what measures you did to protect the wood and metal.

I certainly hope I have the cajones to take my wood and blued 9.3x62 out hunting like that one day. Thanks for sharing and nice moose!

The weather: it rained every day. I've gone through a few hurricanes in Houston and the weather reminded me of that. The rain & wind came in bands....heck it even rained sideways!!! I was sick of it. When I saw the bull I decided to kill it, so I could get out of the rain...ha, but really not kidding!

Put a coat of Howard's Feed & Wax on the wood.
Put "Frog Lube" on the metal and wiped it down every day or two.
Put tape over the muzzle/barrel.

Kept rifle in a thin rubber Gun Sleeve while glassing....it was a spot and stalk type of hunt. Spent a lot of time glassing. Pulled the gun out of the sleeve when we spotted the bull (knew he was a shooter)...sat down and got my rifle on my shooting sticks. Guide said 300yds....thought I could make the shot. However, the bull was moving through some willows and didn't have a clear shot, so waited. The bull was moving left to right and the wind was at our back....the bull came into the clear and the guide said 350yds. I knew where my rifle shot out to 400yds..... We were 1/4mile from the park boundary and the bull would wind us in the next 50yds if he continued moving to our right. It was now or never....turned the scope up where I could see him, (which was 5x...looked after the shooting was over)but the x-hairs were still steady from a sitting position on the sticks...put the horizontal x-hair on his back line and shot. He dropped at the shot....had broke his shoulder and clipped the underside of his spine, which also cut the artery between the heart and lungs. He did manage to get up so shot until he fell over for good as didn't want him getting into the park and we didn't know how bad he was hit.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

For those that are hesitant about taking a blued steel, wood stocked rifle out hunting.. (of all things!)..It's largely a non -existant concern fostered by a couple generations brought up on a line of force fed stainless & plastic

rotflmo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You've definitely earned your "How to care for a beautiful rifle in UGLY weather" certificate! Your rifle came out of it in better shape than my S/S Ruger.

There's a good reason the weather reminded you of a hurricane, my wife said we got socked with the tail end of a typhoon that went past Hawaii earlier that week.

And, that was some great shooting! Hindsight being 20-20, your first hit would have been a one-shot-kill but when a brute like that wobbles back to his feet in that kind of country, it's only wise to stay on target. Plus, an extra shot or two gives the camp across the river something to ponder...

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote