THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Advice needed, where to purchase a custom....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed, where to purchase a custom....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am not in the financial situation to have my own gun built for me and would have come to the conclusion the only way I can get one is to buy one used. I check the auction sites and Hallowell and Co. Is there some other avenues I should be persuing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
champlinarms.com

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.gunsinternational.com. rather than pages and pages of new stock firearms, GI lists many custom and high-grade firearms. What are you looking for?

Posts: 20105 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser or pre 64 in a standard caliber -.243 thru 30/06. Nice walnut, metal work etc. Ideally a well used gun from a prominate maker. I would be buying the gun to hunt with, no safe queens

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check your PM's.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hallowell.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13416 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hang out here there are very nice customs offered at very good prices. On a regular basis

Posts: 19402 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to Dallas next week, there are a few there for sure and you can pick them up and handle them.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have kobe make you one to your specs - nothing comes close to having it made for you

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Custom rifles are best purchased used in my experience. While having a bespoke rifle is a treat and something made to your measurements and specifications is indeed a joy, for someone seeking to enjoy a custom rifle on somewhat of a budget, used is the way to go. I think most folks having bespoke rifles made are not doing so under any illusion they will make money on the rifle, which is rarely the case. I would guess that most custom rifles depreciate significantly the instant they are delivered to the new owner. If you want to have a nice custom made rifle to hunt with and are looking to do so on a budget, used is the way to go. Champlins has an email list you can subscribe to and get updates when something new comes into George's shop. Sign up for that, as well as checking out the other places mentioned.

Mike

Posts: 21287 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the venues mentioned would be a great place to start. Also check out Dismal River Armory here in Nebraska, he has some really nice stuff.

Good luck in your search

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffin & Howe; Collectors Firearms.

Posts: 79 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A used custom rifle sold at a retail establishment will cost considerably more than if purchased on a forum such as this. They will likely make $1,000-$2,500 or more over what they bought it for in trade, especially if it's a known maker. Take your time and wait it out.

Posts: 20105 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Biebs - the guys on this forum have a very good supply of custom rifles and are often willing to sell one because they have their eye on the next one they want!

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcdone:

Collectors ridiculously prices their firearms. A gun shop of last resort.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, only lawyers can afford those places :-)

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

Yes, only lawyers can afford those places :-)

. . . plaintiff's lawyers perhaps.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

How much do each of the elephants you shoot depreciate when they hit the ground?

100% ?

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Memories do not depreciate . . . setting aside dementia and Alzheimer's . . . but in the latter case not too sure I would be worried about my rifles either. Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out First Stop Guns who advertises on Guns International. They really try to turn their inventory. As an example, they have a custom 300 Win Mag made by David Norin. He is a member of the Guild and at $3500 this is a bargain.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by dcdone:

I agree. Based on their published prices, I don't see how they ever sell anything.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

At $20,000-$40,000 per elephant for each of the thirty or so you have shot that's a lot of memories. You could have a full rack of custom rifles and those memories would have been enhanced each time you you took a rifle to the range or simply sat in a chair and stroked it lovingly.

Surely you can't get the same feelings from one of your plastic stocked and painted rifles you have shown on AR.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
Mike,

At $20,000-$40,000 per elephant for each of the thirty or so you have shot that's a lot of memories. You could have a full rack of custom rifles and those memories would have been enhanced each time you you took a rifle to the range or simply sat in a chair and stroked it lovingly.

Surely you can't get the same feelings from one of your plastic stocked and painted rifles you have shown on AR.

. . . and if I was to start down that road I would buy used custom rifles as opposed to having them made. Just a wild guess, but I would imagine that something like 70-80% of custom rifles sell used at a significant fraction of the original cost. Particularly rifles made in the last 10-15 years. Anyone buying a custom rifle with a view towards the rifle appreciating is likely to be disappointed. As I said, I am not knocking bespoke rifles made to a person's unique requirements, but from an economic perspective . . . which is what the OP was raising . . . I think you are far better off purchasing a used custom rifle versus a bespoke rifle.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was not meaning to start a debate on the worth or need for a custom made rifle. I have drooled over many of the rifles posted on here and hope one day to own one. I was simply trying to find other avenues than those I listed to find one.Thank you for all of the advice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BT, go for it....I think you'll find that the search is half the fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike: Think of all the money you'd saved by not going elephant hunting..or..was that a wise financial investment..maybe a second hand elephant would be smarter (grin)

Posts: 3476 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . given the amount of lead from poachers already in most of the elephant I have shot, I think most are in fact secondhand . . . Frowner

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
Mike,

. . . and if I was to start down that road I would buy used custom rifles as opposed to having them made. Just a wild guess, but I would imagine that something like 70-80% of custom rifles sell used at a significant fraction of the original cost. Particularly rifles made in the last 10-15 years. Anyone buying a custom rifle with a view towards the rifle appreciating is likely to be disappointed. As I said, I am not knocking bespoke rifles made to a person's unique requirements, but from an economic perspective . . . which is what the OP was raising . . . I think you are far better off purchasing a used custom rifle versus a bespoke rifle.

Reminds me of the comment about an AR member who died; he was really into double rifles and could not understand why anyone would go on a hunt when they could have had another fine rifle. As much as I love rifles, my hunting memories mean a lot to me. I did just get done spending about 12K to build and outfit two rifles: a Stiller 338 and an AR 6mm Hagar with a Krieger bbl, outfitted with Nightforce and March scopes. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bt8897:
I am not in the financial situation to have my own gun built for me and would have come to the conclusion the only way I can get one is to buy one used. I check the auction sites and Hallowell and Co. Is there some other avenues I should be persuing?

Check your Private Messages.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hunt for custom rifles at bargain prices is one of my favorite pastimes. I see sellers with guns on their websites that they have had for years. I troll gunbroker regularly as well. Don't be in a hurry as there are plenty out there and the market is soft. Be willing to offer a lower price, some of these guys will deal. I have also found a few nice stocks and then planted a barreled action in it with decent results at really low cost; well below the cost of stocking alone. There is a nice Frank Wells at Cabelas that is reasonable and I have made several really good buys at their stores. Enjoy the hunt. They also have a nice Dakota that is reasonably priced. Nicer wood and they hold their value. Missing rear site so hit them low. I know they will deal.
http://www.cabelas.com/product...0%26y%3D0&Ntt=dakota
http://www.cabelas.com/product...%3D9&Ntt=custom%2B70

Posts: 377 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote