THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom stocked Winchesters /Winchester type wood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom stocked Winchesters /Winchester type wood
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lots of beautiful photographs of custom rifles here. Mostly "French" or "English" or so called "Turkish" walnut.

Has anyone restocked their model 70 rifle with Winchester type wood (fancy black or claro type walnut) R. L. Wilson has some great photos of beautifully stocked winchesters in Black Walnut in his book. Anybody here went that route?
Do you have any photos to show?

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I have a thread going on restocking my Winchester 70 with claro walnut.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/2661058371

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have never restocked a M70 but would use American black or Claro. More appropriate IMO than European. I would also go with a conservative mid-upper grade without too much wild figure or flash, similar to Evan's. JMHO.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple pre-war Model 70's, stocked in nice Black walnut.

The top one is a .257 Roberts, and the bottom one is a .270

Posts: 680 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I use Accurate Innovations for all the B&M rifles---Extremely pleased with these. If you are not familiar with AI, they have a full length aluminum chassis that the action fits it, not only does it weather proof the wood, but it makes the stock recoil proof as well, which is far more important to me than weather.

As I understand this bastogne is California grown

Below is a 50 B&M with a very hi grade bastogne

475 B&M With Bastogne

This is a couple of Claro Twins from AI

This is an early claro on a 500 MDM

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
257 Roberts by Glen Morovitz.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pre-war 270 in black.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I had a post crf model 70 restocked using a Winchester custom shop stock. It is claro walnut and the rifle is chambered in 404 Jeffery.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FAST996.

Lovely. Looks like you also changed out the bottom metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles all. Very envious. Particularly like that Roberts.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
FAST996.

Lovely. Looks like you also changed out the bottom metal.

Yes, Williams Firearms Oberndorf one piece and also a Wisner rear sight.

Should have this rifles twin done in about 2 months,a 375H&H with different checkering and the stock treated with alkanet root. I am hoping to look real nice.

I have 2 more custom shop stocks,so they will be a 416 Dakota and a 458 African. Can never have enough model 70 custom rifles.

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Fine stocks of top shelf quality for certain. I especially like the pointed shadow line cheekpieces.....big fan. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
UPS dropped off my Winchester 70 375 H&H today. I thought I would share some photos. It is certainly is not an Echols,but I think it came out well. The rifle has a Claro stock,Lilja barrel,Wisener rear sight,NECG front sight and barrel band,finished in Pilkington's Winchester red with a traditional black ebony tip. There's plenty of incentive to shoot and hunt with this one and it goes with my 404 Jeffery pictured elsewhere in this thread.

Roger aka fast996

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead - That 270 is a very handsome rifle. I particularly like the tapered bottom line of the forend. Wish you had a picture that showed the entire stock.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....sorry about the poor picture,this is my .264RCBS built by Larry Sims and stocked by Gabe Gatti here in Australia.The picture was taken with the guns in the back of my truck because they are both working guns that get used quite often.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fast996

About the only thing I would change on that last rifle would be to get a good stock guy to put a shadow line on that cheeckpiece.

Very very nice!!!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Some real eye candy in these posts! Beautiful! tu2

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fast996

About the only thing I would change on that last rifle would be to get a good stock guy to put a shadow line on that cheeckpiece.

Very very nice!!!

Thanks Silvertip....I requested one,but it wasn't done when I got it back,oh well. My 416 Dakota and 458 African will have them and then I'm finished with my custom Winnies.

fast996 aka Roger

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Singleshotguy

Those two rifles have absolutely beautiful american walnut stocks. The open grip and the general shape of both is wonderful. Who did those for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
silvertip1...a good friend of mine and former hunting buddy in Wyoming, by the name of Bob Gipson built me a number of rifles over the years. Poor health and age forced his retirement.
I just couldn't pass up those two blanks, they looked like they belonged on old Model 70's.

Ed

Posts: 680 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:

This is great Evan, I really like the curve of the grip. What brand/make metal do you have for the grip cap & butt plate?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setch:
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:

This is great Evan, I really like the curve of the grip. What brand/make metal do you have for the grip cap & butt plate?

This thread has some truly incredible wood. Thanks to all you guys for posting. Beautiful stuff! CB

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setch:

Thanks! The grip cap is a Lenard Brownell cap and buttplate is from Treebone Carving. I haven't yet blued the stock hardware or checkered the stock but will eventually get to it.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
This thread has some truly incredible wood. Thanks to all you guys for posting. Beautiful stuff! CB[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Evan K. Rifle is very nice too, but I have just a bit of trouble with the bottom metal.

PTG leaves a little bit too much metal in the front part of it, and makes the bottom a bit too flat instead of more round. If you look at the one in the right front on this photo you will see what I mean.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that Evan K. Rifle is very nice too, but I have just a bit of trouble with the bottom metal.

PTG leaves a little bit too much metal in the front part of it, and makes the bottom a bit too flat instead of more round. If you look at the one in the right front on this photo you will see what I mean.

The chunkiness of the bottom metal bothers me too. No doubt it needs some filing. Any suggestions on how to shape it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you in Minneapolis?

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you in Minneapolis?

Yes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can borrow this blackburn triggerguard I have to study to see where you need to file down that PTG guard.