Notify
Tools

What Mauser action for custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted
All,
If you were going to build a 404 Jeffery, what Mauser action would you want to use? I know I could do it on a Mdl. 70 but really would like to use a Mauser. Satterlee is not an option. Thanks in advance for your opinions/ideas.
John

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a military action, I would use a VZ24. No reason not to and you don't worry about heat treatment. If it will be re-hardened, any clean large ring action is fine.

In a modern repro, Granite Mountain or FZH are great custom actions, but they need a good gunsmith's touch along with heat treatment. If you can find a .375 H&H length Mark X ( Rem 798, or Zastava M70), that would be a good platform as well. My only complaint with those is they tend to be so overpolished that they need a bit of clean up to be square and clean looking actions. Otherwise, they are solid.

Duane Wiebe's bottom metal would be my first choice.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
1909 Argentine or 1935 Chilean.

Mike

Posts: 21245 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
In a military action, I would use a VZ24. No reason not to and you don't worry about heat treatment. If it will be re-hardened, any clean large ring action is fine.

In a modern repro, Granite Mountain or FZH are great custom actions, but they need a good gunsmith's touch along with heat treatment. If you can find a .375 H&H length Mark X ( Rem 798, or Zastava M70), that would be a good platform as well. My only complaint with those is they tend to be so overpolished that they need a bit of clean up to be square and clean looking actions. Otherwise, they are solid.

Duane Wiebe's bottom metal would be my first choice.

Jeremy

I 2nd the VZ 24 for action and Wiebe for bottom metal. The GMA will not require heat treat but it didn't sound like a custom action was in the budget.

Posts: 578 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a good idea to have any milsurp action tested for hardness. Even a vz-24 can be soft. If you are taking metal from the feed ramp/lower lug seat, it would be best to re-harden anyway, so the advantage of a vz-24 is partially lost. Depending on how the feed/ejection work is done, sometimes a notch is made at 12 O'clock, behind the upper lug seat, as well. When it comes to Mauser feed work, and opening up actions for long fat rounds, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you are not going to re-harden, you might consider taking as much metal out of the back of the action and bolt stop as is safe. This will minimize what is needed to be taken from the feed ramp etc.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just posted photos of my Lott. It was built on a VZ-24

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While the Zastava actions make a very nice serviceable rifle. I just don't think they carry the value. Heck even a quality FN doesn't. Would I use either for my hunting rifle. Yep in a heart beat. Would I use one as the base for a high $$ custom? No.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a small caliber I like my Zestava. This one is in 220 Russian.

Some more Roger Vardy wood.
No, I haven't shot it yet.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
tu2 Very Nice Butch

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
It's a good idea to have any milsurp action tested for hardness. Even a vz-24 can be soft.

Do you have any more info on this? I ask because I have been under the impression that heat treatment is not an issue with the VZ-24

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
It's a good idea to have any milsurp action tested for hardness. Even a vz-24 can be soft.

Do you have any more info on this? I ask because I have been under the impression that heat treatment is not an issue with the VZ-24

I've picked a few gunsmith/gunmakers brains about this subject. Got kind of obsessed with it, actually, when researching the plausibility of building a 416 Rigby on a standard length action. While most VZ-24's are quite hard, there are some that one wouldn't want to do magnum pressure builds with without re-hardening. I don't know what serial number range, year of manufacture, contract, lot etc. weeker actions are found. Just that they exist. For example, D'Arcy Echols said (and I'm not sure if he told me this in one of my brain picking conversations with him, or if he wrote it here on AR) that he has had VZ-24's in his shop, along with about every other 98 variant, that had lug setback issues. I just wouldn't roll the dice. I would, at least, have any pre-war milsurp action checked, especially if you are going magnum pressure.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about Prechtl but these actions seem to interest me lately.You might also want check out the actions Ralf Martini is using- FZH.Ralf must know something.A Vektor is a good option if you could find one.Granite Mountain look solid.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:

I 2nd the VZ 24 for action and Wiebe for bottom metal. The GMA will not require heat treat but it didn't sound like a custom action was in the budget.

A custom action is very possible, I just did not want to deal with Stuart. He make a nice action, but to much negative for me to feel comfortable dealing with him. Thanks for all the advice I will start keeping my eyes open for an action.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Without second thought, my choice would be FZH -- Feinmechanische Zerspanungs GmbH

Their actions are based on Mauser specifications and original drawings from 1941. You can order with round or square bridges, standard or long tangs, original or Win70 style safeties, left or right hand, in kurz through true magnum sizes.

I would email them, tell them what I was after as an end result, and ask for their advice. They, of course, will recommend and discus in terms of their actions but you can take what you learn from them and use the knowledge regardless of what you ultimately choose to do.

waffen@fzh-gmbh.de

http://www.fzh-gmbh.de/cms/web...tungen/waffenbau.htm

You can order their actions from several gunsmiths in the USA. In my neck of the woods that would be gunsmith Roger M. Green.
He lists action prices: http://rogermgreen.com/gunmake...w_mauser_actions.php

Shown on his website (note the tangs):
quote:
Custom 450 Rigby by Duane Wiebe - Duane used a FZH single squared bridged long magnum action for this build. Exceptional metal styling: half octagon/half round barrel, integral quarter rib, claw mounts, extend top and lower tangs impeccably finished and engraved by Roger Kerr.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Prechtl looks a lot like my Vektor.By looking at it I wonder if it is not the same action.Although I know nothing about hardening metal it feels a bit like my cast Ruger which has its benefits.I believe when an action is hardened it is a super slick and reliable machine.Gunmakers may not like working with hard actions for whatever reason but when it comes to cycling and feeding there is no stickiness or hangups.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some pressure comparisons:
270 Win 65,000 PSI
404 Jeff 53,000 PSI
416 Rigby 47,000 PSI
The 416 would not have pressure issues, just not really enough room in the standard 98 configuration. Having said that , Ammo available in the US will easily fit in a 98, since they are loaded shorter than CIP MAX

By the way, keep in mind that if you order a Satterlee action for a specific caliber, it will feed, function right out of the box. I can't say this about any of the other alternatives. Making some $3500 actions actually work can cost another $1500

A 404 I built on a 1909 Argentine was proofed in France @ over 62,000 PSI. You're fine with most contract 98's.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Satterlee action is very nice right out of the box. Screw a barrel on and go. It would be a good option. I've also used a lot of GMA actions. Yes, they may take some work to get to feed. They require blue printing and polish work. All told, there's probably a day or two of work involved. They're still my favorite action to build on and I still consider them a bargain over some other options. Consider what it would cost to take a 98 action, add square bridges, bolt handle, bottom metal, trigger, and get the cartridge to function in it. The cost would be creeping up on a custom action and the re-sale value of the rifle would likely be less.

Posts: 578 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't argue with your logic. However,. many will pay a pretty penny to end up with an action/rifle that says "WAFFENFABRIK" "MAUSER" etc. on the ring.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that Roger Green is the soul U.S. importer of FZH. If not, then I stand corrected.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You may be right, Matt. Other smiths may get them from him.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Venezuelan FN, bottom one is probably Argy

Posts: 6404 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom one is short, no thumb cutout. What is it besides nice.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both are very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

I've picked a few gunsmith/gunmakers brains about this subject. Got kind of obsessed with it, actually, when researching the plausibility of building a 416 Rigby on a standard length action. While most VZ-24's are quite hard, there are some that one wouldn't want to do magnum pressure builds with without re-hardening. I don't know what serial number range, year of manufacture, contract, lot etc. weeker actions are found. Just that they exist. For example, D'Arcy Echols said (and I'm not sure if he told me this in one of my brain picking conversations with him, or if he wrote it here on AR) that he has had VZ-24's in his shop, along with about every other 98 variant, that had lug setback issues. I just wouldn't roll the dice. I would, at least, have any pre-war milsurp action checked, especially if you are going magnum pressure.

I recently had a VZ24 in the shop that had significant lug set back don't know if it was formerly barreled for a higher pressure round or original as it was just the action.

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy, I have some photos of his work. PM an email and I will oblige you.

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:

A custom action is very possible, I just did not want to deal with Stuart. He make a nice action, but to much negative for me to feel comfortable dealing with him. Thanks for all the advice I will start keeping my eyes open for an action.

Don't let the internet make your decisions for you, call Stuart and ask for his take. He definitely is a contender for best M98 available, he made my guiding .375 2 1/4 RNE titanium M98. I've dealt with a few bespoke makers and Stuart's solid, keeps you up to date, takes his time to do it right, and delivers what he promises. This is my titanium Satterlee M98 pure work gun, it was built for hard practical use guiding grizzly hunts hence the multi purpose picatinny bridges, and composite stock.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I posted before that my only purchase from Stuart was a receiver. As soon as my check cleared, the receiver showed up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some in progress photos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I think I posted before that my only purchase from Stuart was a receiver. As soon as my check cleared, the receiver showed up.

I ordered as I was after some pretty peculiar custom options, picatinny bridges, drop box in titanium, etc. Deivery was long but it was discussed before we started, because of my options I'd be back burner to keep the rate low. Ended up being just as Stuart said and he did extras I didn't specify, my experience has been very positive.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Mr. Hughes

Do you have a website where you display a gallery of photos of your work?

I do not I am not a full time gunmaker and advertise very little but would be glad to email you anything I have. Come and see me in Tulsa 24A upper level.

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to piggy back on this one...

Would a ZG47 be a good action to start with for a .404? Could the factory bottom metal of the ZG47 be altered to fit or would one be better of springing for one of Duane's units?

Posts: 163 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could, IF, you have the right smith, but, I wouldn't.

I have four ZG-based customs left and a few 21/22 series as well, but, think these are best used for 9.3x64 and smaller rounds.

I had a Weibe BM, great stuff, but, never used it. Had a Sunny Hill and do have a Blackburn on my .308Norma custom, the Weibe and the old Wisner units seemed best to me.

For a .404J., I would choose an AHR built CZ-550 and with the Weibe BM Wayne uses.

JMHO, YMMV.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot, the factory ZG BM is NOT "real" Mauser and is too small for the .404J, IMHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that both Granite Mountain and Prechtl have their action on display at the SCI convention.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
PM me if interested. I have a Satterlee in the white that I could be talked out of.

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
quote:
quote:

Don't let the internet make your decisions for you, call Stuart and ask for his take. He definitely is a contender for best M98 available, he made my guiding .375 2 1/4 RNE titanium M98. I've dealt with a few bespoke makers and Stuart's solid, keeps you up to date, takes his time to do it right, and delivers what he promises. This is my titanium Satterlee M98 pure work gun, it was built for hard practical use guiding grizzly hunts hence the multi purpose picatinny bridges, and composite stock.

What year did this happen?

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Present day McKay, I'm just putting sights on it now, if you look carefully you can see the tape they're dummied on.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Present day McKay, I'm just putting sights on it now, if you look carefully you can see the tape they're dummied on.

That's good. I hope he can continue to deliver on time. He makes a great action.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, Prechtl for a new action, Org Mauser sporting action or Brno ZG47 for a used action.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder how the Mausingfield would stack up? From a functional standpoint, it is a very good example of a somewhat updated Mauser action. The long version looks just long enough to run 375H&H length cartridges.