New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rasp Shaping Ebony Forend Tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This sequence of photos shows the shaping of an ebony forend tip for a Hagn actioned custom rifle.
All shaping was done with a flat Liogier wood rasp.
These rasps can be ordered from me, see Classifieds.
Rounding first bottom flat, the bottom flat was elongated in second photo.

Rounding from side

Rounding corners

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rounding upper corner

Upper view

Completed The entire forend shaping was accomplished with the #40 and #50 patternmakers, and two-sided flat rasps. The forend panel shaped with the Modeler's rasp.

All was refined with 6" half round file, flat bastard file and sanded to 180 grit. The forend has a slightly swamped shape in profile.

The forend was held in the vise or on the barrel whenever possible during the shaping process. Much of the shaping was accomplished with the forend held firmly in one hand resting solidly against the leather covered vise jaw, rasping with the other hand

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make enough flats, and pretty soon you have a 'round'.

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the right places, in the right order and the same side to side...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does it mean to have a "swamped" shape.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A barrel that has a smaller diameter in the center than at the ends.
This is used especially for long barrels as used often in BP rifles for a more graceful look.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
You are the quintessential RASPutan

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooooh, sounds like area ruling a barrel. It sure makes sexy looking airplanes.

Area ruled B58 Hustler Bomber: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KvRL...r+B-58+Hustler+1.jpg

In airplanes it is used to "fool" the air flowing over the fuselage to decrease trans-sonic drag.

quote:
Originally posted by mete:
A barrel that has a smaller diameter in the center than at the ends.
This is used especially for long barrels as used often in BP rifles for a more graceful look.

A number of years ago I had a sportered M98 Mauser that had significant pitting on the barrel about halfway of it's length. I sent it to a shop to have the steps removed. They had to go deeper at the rust point and the barrel was I guess swamped. It looks really cool and shoots great.

Posts: 3700 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,

I looked at the link for the B58. My wife and I worked on the bomber and was there for its first flight in 57 or 58. A very impressive fast plane.

Les

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh man what a memory! Hard to believe that plane was only 50 years beyond the Wright Bros. and came out of the same shop as the B36 Peacemaker. There are two beautiful examples of the B58 at the Grissom Museum in Indiana and the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH. The B1 bomber was heavily influenced by it.

quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Bobster,

I looked at the link for the B58. My wife and I worked on the bomber and was there for its first flight in 57 or 58. A very impressive fast plane.

Les

Posts: 3700 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
In the right places, in the right order and the same side to side...
Took that as a "given", some may need that pointed out, though.

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just the ticket for the man who has every thing. Somebody needs to tell my wife about these, Im too cheap to buy one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It' is much more difficult to accomplish quality work with cheap tools. Send your wife's email, maybe she would like you buy you a quality tool for your birthday?

In this case both the barrel and the the forend have a slight "tapered and flared" or swamped profile. The barrel is an octagon to round with a full length rib by Ralf Martini.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was to post photos like this where I am doing the work, there would be photos of me rasping my knuckles and a good portion of the tutorial would be given over to first aid treatments for stockmakers.
That is kind of like I do it except I don't dare get anywhere near my knuckles for the reasons mentioned above. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3563 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the courser rasps I often wear a leather glove on my left hand. With the Really course #3, I wear gloves on both hands, I call that one the chain saw!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rasps were very well received at the ACGG area at the Dallas Safari Show. The hit was the 7" Modeller's Rasp that sold out! Cool Tool, like a miniature Pattermaker's rasp, easy to see it's functionality!! Tapering cheek piece coves, ejection ports, comb nose fluting~~

I re-ordered 10 Modeller's rasp including one Left-hand!!!Also Left-hand Patternmaker's!
I had a great trip, great show, enjoyed the entire event!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm temporarily Sold Out of the third batch of Liogier "Finest Kind" hand stitched rasps. I have a few Dual-sided Flat Rasps ($125 each + 15 Post) and Brass Bristled cleaning brushes ($15) In Stock. Anyone that uses rasps needs one of these Cleaning Brushes.

~~Sales are brisk~~~ LEE O GEE AYE ~~~

I guarantee these do not need sharpening when new as reported about other rasps. Nor are they dull like the Brazillian machine-made rasps others suggest.

See how they are made~~~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ09O3d8y9Q

20 More Brand New Liogier rasps are on order and should be arriving shortly! Each one especially Hand-Made for each order. #49, #50 and the Special 7" Modeller's rasps ($90) are on the way.

I have just a couple of left handed Modellers and lefty #49 coming in this group...Let me know! I'll hold by request.

Thanks to all that have purchased!!
~~Lee O Gee Aye~~
SDH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am about to send 30 files in to be acid sharpened. The files are old but comfortable in my hands and I like them. Some have been chemically sharpened at least once. This is a great service and if I had invested in any great file such as those Steve is selling when the time came and it will, I would pack it up as well and have it chemically treated to continue using it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another batch of 20 Liogier brand-new rasps will be here next week.
For those of you that have old, dull #49, by all means send them for sharpening. I sent my first batch of dull files to Boggs more than 30 years ago, a great service.

These new Liogier (Lee o gee Aye) don't need to be sharpened and as my good friend Robert said, he will send them IF and when he uses them enough to dull them. A big IF!

I've got #49 an #50 and 10 Modeller's rasps on the way.
D'Arcy, Duane you would love these little 7" #12 grain rasps!!

The two left-handed I ordered are spoken for, I'm going to reorder shortly, Anyone else want Left Hand? Let me know...and don't forget to get your brass bristled cleaning brush ($15), the best way to keep you new rasp Sharp!

Thanks for all your support!
SDH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, no mention of a great ribeye while in Dallas ?

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Robert, that was a bone-in filet!!!
Absolutely the best steak (with marrow butter!) I've had in a looongg time!! Thanks to my pal from Anchorage!

John Linebaugh just stopped in the shop on his way through town!! Great guy, good visit! He brought a pair of super custom Ruger's cased by Huey with elephant hide, one .475 Linebaugh and one .500 Linebaugh. Truely amazing, all of John's trick stuff, bound for a museum!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3342 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian, some are larger that I like, I'm still getting used to Imgur image posting.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
If you click on the large thumbnail selection they will always fit the page right. At east that is what I always do for Imgur.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

From the looks of those jeans, you got your hands in your pockets too much dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have been in John's shop and the amazing things there are almost endless. You both are true artists in the craft.

Curtis

"One shot is usually enough..."

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mo36, I'm sure I can speak for both of us in saying Russell, Monet, Bierstadt, Davinci were artist.. at best we might be considered artisans.
I'm headed down to visit John and see his shop sometime this summer, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Just in!
20 more Liogier brand new rasps, Finest Kind!
I bulked up in the Modeller's 7" fine cut. Duane? D'Arcy? 'ought to try them out!!!
$80 + post