New
Find
Notify
Tools

P.O. Ackley Mauser98 action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am stumped. My firearms library is really not bad as far as bolt guns go; no help from Google; no help on AR Search feature.

My question is this. Back in the 60's, the late P.O. Ackley contracted with a Japanese company for the maunfacture of Mauser 98 actions, to be marketed under his name. After about 150 were made, the company went tits up. I have read about the above in a number of places - in cluding Frank DeHaas' book - but can find out nothing else.

I have never seen one of the actions, or even a photo of one.

Has anyone here actually seen such? What happened to them? Do they ever change hands?

Inquiring minds want to know. Me, too.

Thanks.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I've seen a left handed PO Ackley Mauser 98.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What James said. AFAIK they were all left-handed.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
I know of two LH PO Ackley M98 clones. I own one, built by Harry McGowan in NOV 67 as a target rifle in 308, and one in Arkansas (fellow AR member) and I think his is in 35 Whelen IIRC.

Art Zeglin of Z-Hat is writing a book on PO Ackley and he asked me if I could send photos, so as soon as my photographer can arrange a session, that will be done. Art plans on finishing his book by December 2010.

From DeHaas book and other sources, about 150 of these actions were made/imported and about 50 were LH versions....

Harry McGowan was gracious to discuss this rifle of mine back in 2008 when I acquired it, he said it was a great action to work with and mine is probably barrelled with an Ackley or Douglas barrel given the invoice date on the underside of the barrel (hence the 11/67 build date).

It shoots very nicely and the only work I have done to it was to re-bed it; after 40 year the acraglas turned rubbery, it now is steel-bedded with Devcon Plastic Steel. I have shot it in NRA MR prone at 600 yds. It does very well even with the rather archaic Lyman 48 sights.... It is the only one on like it on the range, which is neat....

VR

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in storage that belonged to my dad. Lefty 270 [ugh] but original. Next time in the area I will get it and take pictures. It shot good according to my pop.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93;

I have never seen one of the actions, or even a photo of one.

scroll down to page 347...
nothing extraordinary, basically an FN LR [c-ring] made in Japan.

http://books.google.com.au/boo...#v=onepage&q&f=false

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My late brother in law had one in -06. I believe his son has it now.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to all. Interesting.

Trax, from what I've learned about this arcane subject, I do not think that you oversimplify.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Is Art Zeglin related to Fred of zhat?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38532 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handled a LH Ackley during late 60s....I think in Laramie, WY....gorgeous rifle made by a gunsmith who (I think) was named Anderson.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all of you.

As an aside, I wonder if the Ackley name contributes appreciably to collector value...presuming that these things have collector value to begin with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Bellm, the mostly single shot oriented guy, he "apprenticed" with Ackley, more or less, and spent a lot of time working with him and has PO's rifling machines to this day. If I was going to ask anybody about things who's still alive, he might be your man to pester, but he's pretty busy. Last I talked to him, he was in Grants Pass, OR.

Lester Brooks, often here on the gunsmith forums, he might have an idea or too, too. He knows quite a bit about that sort of thing at times, and if he doesn't, he'll say so as well.

Opinions may vary, but I bet Mike Bellm probably knows a considerable bit about them actions and tinkered on a few when he was working with PO. I ain't calling him and waking him up to ask, but I have a good hunch :-)

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Bellm has a very nice web site, an does wonders on TC Encores!

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

He still talks PO Ackley and does things Ackley's way.

Easy to get a hold of, from his site.

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Craig Boddington recently had a .264 built on one.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a P. O. Ackley Left Handed Rifle in 7X57 for sale from Cabela's Reno on Guns International.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100720871

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one, a RH version, 6.5x06 which I purchased directly from Ackley. It was barreled and chambered by him and is unfired. I will try and answer any questions you have.

Posts: 13 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
The one at Cabela's Reno is a Paul Jaeger. Jaeger used Mauser actions for most of their rifles.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old post I know but , I have a RH Ackley. It is about 10 percent larger . Bolts don't interchange . Receiver OD is the same or close enough that stocks fit . Mine is in 300 Ackley magnum , 1.25 U tapered barrel . Stock is older style maple and walnut laminate . Identical to the ones pictured in DeHaas book . It has or had a Canjar set trigger in it .
I bought it on the firing line at the orig Williamsport 1000 .
Gary

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years (15) ago I saw one in a used gun rack. I don't know in what country it was made. On one of my trips to CP Donnelly's shop I mentioned it to him. CP was a student of PO, was good friends with him right up to PO's passing, and he purchased his barrelmaking equipment from PO. CP was familiar with rifles that PO had made but said what I had seen was one of the one's that "PO had sold his name for" and had nothing to do with them. So they weren't actual PO Ackley rifles and that CP was of the opinion that there was nothing special about them, other than having PO's name on it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing dif is the size of the bolt . At least on my magnum . I know there is a 17 cal , either Javelina or remington, it was a exact duplicate to mine .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote