THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    New Wiebe 500 Jeff at Hallowell's for $9650 built in 2015!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Wiebe 500 Jeff at Hallowell's for $9650 built in 2015!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In better times, I would find some way to buy this one, even for just and investment (I don't think I could sell it, unless I had to feed the kids, as I'm sure it would relieve all feelings of male inadequacy Big Grin ). Don't even try to spout "Custom rifles lose their value" B.S. on this one. This is a Wiebe Square Bridge 500 Jeff!

Pics are on their website. Description from their site:

23" tapered round Krieger barrel with detented-hooded integral-full-band front sight, integral-full-band swivel base, and gold-lined folding express sight on machined integral-full-band base/barrel recoil lug. Prominently straight-grained Turkish walnut stock with ebony forend tip, barrel lug tie-down, double recoil crossbolts, classic English flat-top point-pattern checkering with mullered borders wrapping fully under the forend and over the wrist, casehardened steel trapdoor pistol grip cap, beaded pancake cheekpiece, inletted rear swivel base, and Silvers solid red rubber recoil pad. Mauser 1909 Argentine action with straight-down teardrop bolt knob, checkered bolt stop and checkered Mauser flag safety, single square bridge with Weibe's adjustable aperture sight, and Weibe's deep drop-box hinged straddle floorplate with release inside triggerguard. Pull: 14 3/8". Weight: 10lbs, 3oz. Built 2015. Test fired only, and in new condition. $9650.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what did it cost to build??

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Built in 2015!

Who orders these custom guns and sells them a year later? Why then order them at all?

Perhaps it was someone who's recoil sensitivity turned out to be quite a bit greater than their romanticized desire to own a 500 Jeffrey mauser elephant gun. I can honestly image that happening to me, especially ten or fifteen years down the road.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Built in 2015!

Who orders these custom guns and sells them a year later? Why then order them at all?

When it was ordered and when it was built are not necessarily the same. Crude oil at $30/barrel could also play a role.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

When it was ordered and when it was built are not necessarily the same. Crude oil at $30/barrel could also play a role.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but I didn't want to come across as a winer, being one who has just recently lost his good paying oilfield job. I know lots of guys that, while they were making good money, regularly hocked their nice guns in the pawn shop because they couldn't quite make the payments on their $60k pickup, boat, Harley, two ATV's, gym membership, and child support, in given months. If my better half were not so much better than me, I might have been one of those guys. The Doc says my knee will be work ready in a few more weeks, and I'll have an adequate non-oil field job lined up by then. A lot of oil field guys have no savings, and so much debt, that a non-oil field job won't keep them from claiming bankruptcy. I bet a lot of good deals on "man-toys" are out there now, and the deals will only get more common, as more and more folks lose their jobs. The price of oil ain't coming back any time soon.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the build cost is???

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great buy.

Some lovely weapons on that site!

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
And the build cost is???

Mr. Wiebe can be reached by PM here on AR, and his phone number and e-mail are posted on his website- customgunandrifle.com. I'm guessing Mr. Hallowell is out of town for the show, but he may have the build sheet. His phone number is on his website as well.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I just love the shape of that stock at the fore end. Wiebe Rifle

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the standard safety looks a bit odd on this. That said, it is one gorgeous rifle.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you Duane! I appreciate integrity.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Duane has a knack for building a proper .500 bolt gun.
If I was in the market for a 500Jeff, I would look no further.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flat checkering and smooth bolt handles.
Seems to be the fashion in todays custom rifle world.

Nice looking gun, even if I'm out of date.

Posts: 1306 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Can you all delete this thread before I buy the rifle? nilly

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen on AR alone, Duane has a knack for building proper rifles.!
Look 3-4 post up at the super 30. (just another recent example).

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Client's information is confidential, cannot be shared

Sure it can,you just need to be persuaded correctly!

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe that was meant to be humorous?

Classic scene from "The Man with the Golden Gun".

Bond is trying to find out who hired Lazar to cast the golden bullets that were used to assassinate some folks. When he smiled, saying he couldn't reveal his source, Bond swung the custom rifle Lazar was building at him and fired one shot between his legs. After that, Lazar happily told him the name of his client.

Great scene from a classic Bond film.

So, in a word, yes, it was meant to be funny.

Wink

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q-wdaxsAac

One of my favorite movies. see my avatar.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle thankfully it's condition is obvious and you don't need to rely on Hallowell's advise. Mad

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since I already have a Duane Wiebe Argentine Mauser in .404 Jeffery, logic dictates that I should buy this one also. Any bridging loans out there? 20 year bridge that is.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful !!.. But it would have been $ 9700 except he left fingerprints on the bluing. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the standard safety looks a bit odd on this.

And why?

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lord let there be one more Oil Boom and I promise not to piss it off!

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R:
quote:
the standard safety looks a bit odd on this.

And why?

Cheers,
Mark.

Looks 110% classic 98 to me!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
It's a great rifle in ALL respects. The safety is as it should be, and I can't imagine why, with a rifle in this configuration, you would want anything else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh Boy...Now I gotta explain the choice of a safety..Here goes
This is a DGR ! Customer wisely wanted everything idiot proof as possible. The trigger was left as a tuned up two stage,thereby, LOTS of sear engagement

The rotating safety , when on "ready"
blocks the sight picture..making it most unlikely to ty and fire unless disengaged.

This set up may not be the choice for white tail hunting. It was not made for white tail hunting

Thanks Duane, but I didn't think any explanation was necessary. tu2

Not likely to be a scope fitted to that rifle....

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
the standard safety looks a bit odd on this. That said, it is one gorgeous rifle.

kind of a DGR noob statement, as literally thousands have been made just like that, for brits and germans

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the standard safety. At least it clearly shows when the flag is up, unlike a sides wing safety, which can cause embarrassing moments Smiler

Plus I like the look of the bolt shroud with the standard safety.

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
This is good alternative for normal Mauser flag safety; works similar but just opposite way:

http://waffenmeisters.com/imag...%281%291-500x500.jpg

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ozhunter,
Just bought a rifle from Hallowell... Is there something I should know about Morris?

Regards, Matt.

My rifle is still there waiting on the trade to arrive. I spoke with Mark Penrod and he had nothing bad to say about the rifle. Hoping the pictures are not misleading...

http://www.hallowellco.com/Mar...ter%20Model%2070.htm

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
ozhunter,
Just bought a rifle from Hallowell... Is there something I should know about Morris?

Regards, Matt.

My rifle is still there waiting on the trade to arrive. I spoke with Mark Penrod and he had nothing bad to say about the rifle. Hoping the pictures are not misleading...

http://www.hallowellco.com/Mar...ter%20Model%2070.htm

His pictures are great but his description CAN be very misleading

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If I did not already own one of Jack Haugh's .500 Jefferys I would be all over this rifle. Love the peep!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote