THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Suitable commercial Mauser 98 actions for 9.3x64 Brenneke
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suitable commercial Mauser 98 actions for 9.3x64 Brenneke
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey Guys,

Ive narrowed down my choices to the following:

Parker Hale
Brno ZKK600
Mark X.

I'd like some recommendations please.

I did think of the VZ24, however most of the VZ24's Ive seen have been Military 8x57's that are in great nick that i just can't seem to want to break down just for the action. From what I've read, Brno chambered the 9.3 x 64 in its ZKK600 series (along with the 9.3 x 62). How do the ZKK series work for customisation.

That leaves the Parker Hale action, have read that the steel can be softer. Was thinking of looking for one that had been built as a 7mm Rem Mag or .308 Norma Magnum. There are a few that come up down here that are 270 and 30/06. How does the Mark X stack up?

What are the Parker Hale & Mark X like for customisation using M98 parts - i.e 3 position safety and bottom metal.

From what I've read in Frank De Hass's book on bolt action rifles, those actions above seem to be strong enough.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe the Parker Hale was a Santa Barbara (Spanish) action. Never used a Brno.

I have built a number of rifles using the Mark X. Never had an issue. They need a little smoothing on the inside. Some have a touch too much polishing on the outside. I happen to prefer the earlier design with the release in the trigger bow vs the cross pin type.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned five ZKKs, would not bother customizing another. Too much work and still not as good as an original Mauser 98, C-ring FN or my favourite, Brno ZG-47.

One friend had a 9.3-64 built with my help on an Oberndorf 98, nice piece and worked well. Another had Ralf Martini, build one on a ZG action from my stash and it is a gem.

I stay with the 62 case and my final 9.3 is being built with a sts Benchmark on my last ZG action. I have two of these original rifles in 9.3x62, a custom CZ-550 so chambered and an original Type B and like this round very much.

You might consider a CZ-550 with AHR parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parker Hale are Spanish and can vary in hardness . All 98 PH have the made in Spain stamp removed or defaced on the left rear tang .
Go with the Mark X . Never any problem .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
If you find somewhere Husqvarna m640, it is very good donor gun. Especially good is the older version with barrel banded rear sight and sling attacment. Action has same maker as SAKO High Power has (that´s another good canditate too) i.e made by FN in Belgium. I have had one for many years, converted from 9,3x62.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
If you find somewhere Husqvarna m640, it is very good donor gun. Especially good is the older version with barrel banded rear sight and sling attacment. Action has same maker as SAKO High Power has (that´s another good canditate too) i.e made by FN in Belgium. I have had one for many years, converted from 9,3x62.

Funny, my one remaining 9,3x64 uses a Husqvarna barrel too. It is fitted to a Zastava action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I built my 9.3x64 on a Zastava M70, so essentially a Mark X. They are a rough but functional action. I am happy with how mine came out.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned all three. I would say in terms of smoothness out of the box, I would rate the MarkX dead last. The smoothest commercial Mauser I have is a Husqvarna, but the bottom metal isn't as good at the Mark X or PH. The VZ action is good, but the military floorplate is an abomination IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use a high quality 98 Mauser or a mod. 70 pre 64.
I like the 9,3x64 but decided long ago to go with the 9.3x62 in a small ring G-33/40 action. With proper handloads one can get within 100 FPS of the 9.3x64...and have a lighter recoiling handier rifle..Just my two bits.

My present 9.3x62 is on a silky smooth later model Husqvarna comm. action, with a modified bottom metal. and safety. that action would do for a 9.3x64 quite well..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41951 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote