New
Find
Notify
Tools

OM70, M98, or...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have any of you gentlemen put three thousand or more into a custom bolt rifle using anything else?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
have any of you gentlemen put three thousand or more into a custom bolt rifle using anything else?

Yep... well, only if a Mauser-derivative counts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes if a Dakota isn't considered in your list. Also, a couple on Granite Mountain actions.
I guess technically they are model 70s and 98 Mausers cousins.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did one on a LH Sako magnum action a while back

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid more than that for my Wundhammer Springfield, if that counts. Low number, of course.

I also have some single shots which would fit that category. I'm thinking of the "duplicate original" Sharps Borschardts by Argus Barker of Stevensville, Montana.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1903 Springfield in 30-06 and a Krag carbine.

Perhaps I'm excentric but I just like how slick a double heat treated Springfield works and it makes a very trim rifle. The Krag has a 20" barrel, full stock, and iron sights and is intended as an easy carrying short rifle for woods roaming, especially in hog country. Again I just like the slick action and the 30-40 is a fine cartridge for this purpose.

Would a Mod70 or Mauser be a better choice? Perhaps but I actually prefer the '03 to a Mod 70 and the Krag is just too cool not to have and it serves the purpose admirably.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAKO 57(9).Al Lind made a 7#scoped,blind mag 243 that disappeared in the UK.Grassed lots of deer.Eventually time for another when family illnesses resolve.Could be anything that fits(257R,7X57,6.5X??).Dloreac has pics of a slick one also.If using a 579 have a cocking piece safety done.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few benchrest rifles meeting this criteria but they are specialty match rifles. Not your ordinary custom.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a wm evans, a ruger #1

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I'm betting there are far more $3K+ rifles built on 700's and their clones than 70's and 98's combined. Benchrest and other match rifles with custom actions, stocks, barrels, exceed $3K as well. Like most here, I like classic rifles built on military actions and walnut stocks, but we are not the majority. I'm a hobbyist gun builder, and enjoy building BR rifles and classics. I've built national champion BR rifles, but I don't consider this a huge challenge. Building classics is REAL gunsmithing,and I'm far from an expert here. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the smiths that have mastered this field.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1!!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You specified bolt rifle - Only M98. And for good reason.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P14 Enfield seems a common choice for the big boomers.

Pointblank has a point on the Rem and Rem clone rifles. There are a lot of them built in the 3500-6500 price range specifically for hunting. Maybe they are not a bespoke work of art in metal and wood, but they are fine hunting arms in their own right.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant to specify hunting rifles. I don't have rifles built with resale in mind, but I see a good market for the two I cited.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is an OM70?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Old Model Winchester Model 70
The answer to your question is, no.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes.. even doing my own work

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38517 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it means "Old Model 70" then when do we consider them to be old?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know it's not an "old Model 70" if the bolt handle is on the left hand side!
By the way, I used that left-handed Echols McStock (I covered up the orange colour) on my Model 54 Winchester in 256 Newton. Might get around to shooting it today or tomorrow. I have a bit of cosmetic work to do yet (jeweling bolt, mag follower, and bolt stop spring)but apart from that, it's ready to go.
Because I don't charge myself for labor, I've never had a 3000 dollar rifle. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3536 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
You know it's not an "old Model 70" if the bolt handle is on the left hand side!
By the way, I used that left-handed Echols McStock (I covered up the orange colour) on my Model 54 Winchester in 256 Newton. Might get around to shooting it today or tomorrow. I have a bit of cosmetic work to do yet (jeweling bolt, mag follower, and bolt stop spring)but apart from that, it's ready to go.
Because I don't charge myself for labor, I've never had a 3000 dollar rifle. Regards, Bill

I anxiously await the 256 Newton report Bill!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 is the only Winchester Model 70 that is called, "Old Model 70", and those are broken down into Pre War and Post War. . Everything else is, in order, post 64, push feed, post 64, CRF, and now, FN. Those are the basic M70 variations, with some variations.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Montana 1999 SA, Lothar barrel, Jim Dubell metal work

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most expensive custom bolt action rifles built in America today, as a rule, aren't built on any of the above then.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:

Montana 1999 SA, Lothar barrel, Jim Dubell metal work

Is that ever nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:

Lucky us too, Bill.

you worked on a husky rifle from Ted for my wife and we kept it.

great job done.

Phil

Posts: 1748 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be more specific.

I was thinking more in terms of factory rifles that were cannibalized for the action to build a nice custom on.

That is a very nice Montana...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah, that narrows it down.
I was thinking what great hunting rifles GAP builds.--cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My 1 of 50 Grisel built small ring double square bridge "Mauser" action'd rifle put together by Roger Green would.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote