THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Dorleac & Dorleac .500 Jeffery M98
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dorleac & Dorleac .500 Jeffery M98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning gun and in my favorite caliber!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a trim looking rifle for a 500.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!
I really like the shape of the stock. A must see for my stockmaker...

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
This is a beautiful classic Mauser. Have we seen this before because I queried the cartridge notation on one? The .500 Jeffery was never known as a magnum. Wouldn't .500 Jeffery Nitro Express have been superlative!

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X-quisite!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is as good as it gets..and my favorite DGR caliber too. Anyone know how many that magazine holds?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle looks to be as trim a .500 caliber rifle I have ever seen...the lines, as show in the pictures, are appealing to say the least.

I have always disliked the look and feel of a drop box/wood stock and always wondered why more were not built like this rifle??

Interested to know the weight of that rifle and magazine capacity?

Thanks for posting the pics...beautiful!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
Start jumping on me. The magazine is ugly. If you can't stop it with a couple rounds your PH should be able to.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Well,
Start jumping on me. The magazine is ugly. If you can't stop it with a couple rounds your PH should be able to.
Butch

+1

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
quote:
The magazine is ugly.

+1

Seconded Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right, because the form is set. No one should continue to endeavor to punch out the envelope as to what might be regarded as 'classic' in the realm of custom guns.
The well reminds me of the bosses of a trophy cape buff. Not graceful, but impressive, masculine and purposeful in it's excess of mass. It's a nice counterpoint to the rest of the rifle and I appreciate the maker stepping out a bit.
I love the wood.

quote:
Well,
Butch

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Yep,

I be proud to own that. Love the coffin box mag. Love the stock!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Absolutely wonderful!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i dont mind the drop box but wonder why it wasnt dropped flush with the bottom of the trigger guard like the argentine '91? maybe it would help smooth the transitions on the bottom of the rifle.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LOVE this rifle, other than too much engraving for my taste there is nothing I would change about it (although color cased it might be even more gorgeous). I love the drop box, I love the lines, love the features. damn that is an awesome gun.

anybody give me a guess how the rear sling swivel was done? I know that Tom Burgess made on that had a tiny hole that an allen wrench was inserted through to tighten the thing into the wood, I'm guessing since I see no hole that this was a two screw and they used custom screws with oversize heads and once it was tightened they filed them off flush.

by the way, my brother just asked me earlier why I haven't won the lottery yet, I don't know why not but I'm pretty sure D&d just got added to the list of people getting a call if I do win.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well,
Butch

I expected a comment like that from you and you didn't disappoint.
Kevin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
I luv you man! I must be important in your life. You follow all my post and make wise ass remarks. I chuckle to myself and think what a lonely existance you have.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Since you do it first (see below), I guess that what you say about me applies equally to you. You follow my posts and make wise ass remarks first.

Have a nice day. Smiler

Kevin

22WRF
one of us
Posted 24 August 2011 06:45
he needs to learn how to take better photos!

butchlambert
one of us
Posted 24 August 2011 18:07
I expected a comment like that from you and you
didn't disappoint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like I said on that last post that you quoted, I expect you to follow all my post and continue to make an ass out of your self. You have nothing more in life to do as you have an empty existence.This stuff of yours has taken away from a fine rifle with an ugly magazine. You can have the last word as I made a mistake bringing myself to your level-way down there.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the magazine issue with this rifle, it would be very difficult for me to accept it, but I would struggle and overlook that feature.
If I only had that opportunity!! Pretty much a piece of functional art at a very high level I might add.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A real "magazine rifle".

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just like I said on that last post that you quoted, I expect you to follow all my post and continue to make an ass out of your self. You have nothing more in life to do as you have an empty existence.This stuff of yours has taken away from a fine rifle with an ugly magazine. You can have the last word as I made a mistake bringing myself to your level-way down there.
Butch

Just as I have stated before, I always expect you to comment on my posts and make an ASS of yourself. You have nothing more to do in your life and you have an empty existence. This stuff of yours has taken away from a fine rifle with a beautiful and functional magazine for the caliber chosen. You can have the last word as I continue to make the mistake of brining myself down to your level - way down there.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the rhino with the cartoon horn and you really have something here.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
anybody give me a guess how the rear sling swivel was done? I know that Tom Burgess made on that had a tiny hole that an allen wrench was inserted through to tighten the thing into the wood, I'm guessing since I see no hole that this was a two screw and they used custom screws with oversize heads and once it was tightened they filed them off flush.

I have read that Dennis Olson is currently making the Burgess style studs. Don't know if it is true though...

As to the studs on the rifle, IIRC Recnagle makes something similar to that.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A truly scrumpious rifle.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jason, I'll have to check in with Dennis and get some. I have one pair, but they're with a project that they're going to end up on at a gunsmiths, I was very lucky that somebody that had a set knew I needed them and gave them to me. I still have the tap that Tom gave me for installing the rear stud.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
i dont mind the drop box but wonder why it wasnt dropped flush with the bottom of the trigger guard like the argentine '91?

My guess is because the added mag depth to make it flush was not going to be sufficient to allow an extra round in the mag. The smith was probably thinking, "If it doesn't allow an extra round, then why have the extra depth?"

Personally, I think this rifle is fabulous. Subtle changes I would make would be eliminating the Rhino and color case hardening the receiver, mag, trigger guard, grip cap, and sling swivel studs. I would keep the extractor as it is to match the mag release and trigger and then deep blue the bolt and bolt handle to match the bbl.

Now, all I need is the money!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the drop magazine. I'm not a fan of the style of engraving but it is well executed. Can't tell what the tang looks like because the rifle is cocked.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
This is as good as it gets..[QUOTE]

I do not know about that. Compared to your rifles I think this one has rather sloppy details, specially around the boltstop, and what is it with the shape of the shadowline in the front curve of the cheekpiece and the shape of the recess outside of the ejection port?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it happens that you find yourself in Perpignan you must definitely visit Joel. The level of detail which goes into his rifles is impressing. And it is not only beauty but function as well. Besides the classic Mauser rifles he makes some technical ones too from time to time, very often on lightened rem 600 actions for calibers like 6mmBR or 6,5-284.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some people have been asking where these and other photos have been lifted from.

Well here is the source:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...1970&an=&page=0&vc=1

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
I will be visiting Joel Dorleac of Dorleac & Dorleac Gunmakers located in Perpignan, France a week from this Saturday. The "Rhino Gun" is in his shop.....I will have a hard time resisting this one!! Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My Brother is having a 404J built by Dorleac.
A grade gunsmiths of today.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
My Brother is having a 404J built by Dorleac.
A grade gunsmiths of today.

Any progess photos?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
That drop box made me think of Jack Belk............who IIRC used to say the SMLE was the ugliest gun ever made............

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Amazing piece of work! Is it set up as a single stack?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle...love the sleek lines, could do without the engraving....but love the drop box..

If I would skip using a double for elephant this would be the alternative....500 Jeffery is a bone crusher for sure..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote