THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CATS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Cats    How do Coyotes catch feral cats?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do Coyotes catch feral cats?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen several posts stating that feral cats are a staple of a coyotes diet. I wouldn't have guessed that a coyote was quick enough to catch a feral cat. Are coyotes really that quick?

Hunter308

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hunter308,

Coyotes are very quick. I live in the lib. centeral bay area California Frowner. We have what are called feral cat feeding stations were people dicth there unwaanted cats in a creek and big harted libs. feed them. In turn the coyotes come in every now and again and "snack" on them. You might have heard the story of the coyotes in Golden Gate park? I know why they were there. rotflmo
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338vt:
Hi Hunter308,

Coyotes are very quick. I live in the lib. centeral bay area California Frowner. We have what are called feral cat feeding stations were people dicth there unwaanted cats in a creek and big harted libs. feed them. In turn the coyotes come in every now and again and "snack" on them. You might have heard the story of the coyotes in Golden Gate park? I know why they were there. rotflmo
338vt

i am from there...

the libs feed the yotes...love it! rotflmo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'm in the Bay Area. Any good places to hunt coyotes and/or other varmints in the Central Coast?

Hunter308

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i live in so cal and they are plenty here in my neighborhood but shooting them is problematic since i live in a residential area

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't tell you how, but, I can tell you they'll keep 'em cleaned up around a farm unless the cats get wize mighty fast.

Folks lived among 'em, and took all the cats they could find out and never could keep any for long. Dad would find patchs of fur in the brush many times. The rest of the time, the cats would just never be seen again.

Same with the chickens. Broad day they'd grab a chicken right next to the open back door. Mom kept an '06 loaded next to the door, but, she couldn't watch full time. Plus, they both had to come to town half the days of the week. Out of 300 chickens they'd get about 40 to butchering age.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Hey Boomie! You CAN'T hunt libbies??? Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of feral cat feeding stations. I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of feral feeding stations? I have one in my yard! Wink

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I had a feeding station in a backyard too. CB Longs, just the trick.

Last year, I had alot of yotes on my farm. After deer season was over, I killed several and the rest apparently got the message and departed. Well, feral cats started appearing a few months later. Now, the yotes have returned and I haven't seen any cats. End of deer season, I guess history will repeat.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the demise of a few cats by dogs and it worked like this.
The cat was sitting on his haunches looking the wrong way when two dogs got a 50 yard run on him. One dog blasted into the cat and knocked him over but failed to grab him. The slower dog cut the cat off at the pass and when the cat dodged the 2nd dog the first dog grabbed him in mid air. Instantly the cat twisted in the dog's mouth and clawed him on the face with both front paws ...just as the dog crunched down hard.
I am sure that a couple of hungry coyotes are a lot better at double teaming a cat.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell my border collie doesn't need help to catch a cat. She can outrun any cat I've seen and as soon as she catches them she rolls the cat.She pounces from side to side a couple times and catches the cat going the wrong direction and grabs it by the back of the neck and flips the cat usually breaking its neck. I suspect a coyote would work a cat the same way.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my aunt in montana loses a few cats a month on their ranch to coyotes,or some predator.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats are fast, but only in short bursts.
Our cats can outrun oour border collie from halfway in the backyard to the back door of the house, but if it's farther than that then the dog will catch up to the cats.

If there are no trees to run up then I could easily see a coyote catching a feral cat.

Also, some cats don't run from dogs, they'll arch their backs and put on their "don't mess with me" show. If they do that then they've lost their head start for a get away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coyotes can hunt in groups. they are very clever and resourceful. feral cats also live in groups, making an attractive target for coyotes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not often enough to suit me.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Not often enough to suit me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEN!!!!!!!!! Mad

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote