Find
Notify
Tools

Firearm Form
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted
do you know if you need the firearm form to go in and out of Canada showing ownership of the firearm by serial number?

I had this when i went to africa with me, but i didn't know if on my upcoming trip to Canada I would need the same with US Customs. Thanks for your help all.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HI I went to Canada a few yrs ago. I had to fill out some forms with all my serial #s etc.

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
See the Help with Canada Travel thread in this section! -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexasHunter,

I just got back in June from a bear hunt in Sask. and yes you must have the serial # on the form for the rifle. We had ours all filled out in advance except for signing and dating, YOU MUST DO THAT IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMS AGENT.
We went thru with no problems

Posts: 35 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my experience same as Mtfury: just returned from Yukon Monday. Have your form completed with name, address, rifle info, but don't sign and date until you present the form to officials.

Good news was they only charged me $25, not the $50 I expected. Don't forget your U.S. Customs 4557 (which I was not asked for, by the way, on my return). Good luck!

Posts: 230 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, STexan where is that trip report w/pics?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been swamped at work and home life, catching back up for the 2 weeks trip. I will work something up and post shortly.

Short answer is my wife and I went up with Peter Koser (Koser Outfitters) to hunt Dall sheep and other game out of his Keele Peak camp in the Yukon. This area is about 2 1/2 hours by floatplane northeast from Whitehorse, close to the NW Territories line. Unbelievably beautiful, pristine country. Really breathtaking. Peter and his crew were terrific, including the incredible meals prepared and/or arranged by his wife - no freeze dried Mountain House to be seen.

Unfortunately the weather was against us most of the trip. It rained at least part of every day but one (three days we couldn't even get out of camp), and we constantly had fog. So the game was not moving much in the rain, and visibility was impaired by the low cloud cover. Our gear kept us from being miserable (thank you Helly Hansen).

My wife shot a nice mountain caribou after a great spot and strenuous stalk. All in all, we couldn't help but be disappointed by the weather and lack of hunting success. Nothing the Kosers could do about that, just unlucky timing for us (it had rained I think for 5-6 days on the hunters before us, and continued raining and snowing on the hunters after us).

I would definitely go again with Peter (he has sold his concession, I don't remember the guy's name, other than first name Justin, but intends to continue conducting hunts under the new outfitter) and also to the same area. May try to do so in 2010. I think that's a pretty good endorsement from a guy who came back without shooting!

Posts: 230 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote