Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Canada Travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
Planning to spend a few days chasing ducks in Winnepeg this October. Traveling via car. Question: Do I have to have a passport to enter or exit Canada from the states? I've called and viewed a half dozen web sites and get conflicting reports. I called a toll free govt. number and the guy said if traveling by plane, you must have a passport to re-enter the states. If traveling by car, he said I needed a driver's license and my birth certificate. The postmaster in my town said I had to have a passport to re-enter?? I hope to hear from someone with experience.

Thanks in advance.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The gov't guy was right - you'll be fine travelling by car without a passport until January 1, 2009, after which time all border crossings must be with a passport. However, travel is much aided (IMO) with a passport. Just take a couple forms of photo ID and you should be fine. Also, don't forget your US Customs Form 4457, as the Canadian Customs will use it as your proof of ownership of your firearm(s) when going into Canada. They required it of my wife earlier this year.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker You had to prove ownership of your wife?????? that's funny rotflmo

the chef

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yep, you've got to get a 4457 on spouses now, didn't you know? Big Grin They said something about unpredictability, loose cannon, blah blah. I stopped listening and paid the fee. Smiler

I guess I should have been a little clearer - Canadian Customs required my wife to present the 4457 for her rifle in order to import it for a spring bear hunt in Quebec. I think that makes a little more sense, eh? Wink

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
You also have the option of getting a passport CARD -- a cheaper mini-version of a passport. It's about 1/2 the price.

BUT...it's only good for vehicle/sea travel between the U.S and Canada/Mexico. It CAN'T be used for air travel in any case.

My wife and I drive from AZ to Mazatlan, Mex. every fall. I have a reg. passport, but she didn't. Since we have no plans to fly to any other international destination, I got her the passport card. If we should plan a flying trip, however, the passport card can be upgraded to a full passport. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. Do I need to get the firearm form prior to travel or is it available at the border. I've heard you can declare property at the border so, I just assume I can do this at the border.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can download a copy of the Canadian Non-Resident Firearms Declaration Form here.

It will save a lot of time at the border if you have it all filled out in TRIPLICATE except for your signature. Then all you have to do is sign it and pay the fee. The declaration is good for a year, and you can list up to three firearms on it for one fee.

I have never had Canadian customs ask to see any proof of ownership, but U.S. Customs will want it when you return to the U.S. So best to visit a U.S. customs office and obtain a 4457 for any valuables you're taking across the border. I have them for all my cameras and similar gear. The 4457s are good forever, so don't throw them away if you plan to leave the U.S. with the same items again.

TIP: With guns, I list only a single gun on each 4457. That way, you can pick and choose without someone asking where the other one(s) is/are if you only take a single firearm. -TONY

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Tony's advice is excellent. I just filled out the form in Adobe and printed three copies of it. Worked great.

Please note though, the Candian Customs Agents specifically asked for (required) my wife's Form 4457 this May. We may have gotten through without it, but they sure didn't seem very flexible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DR,

I don't doubt what you claim. I just never had that happen over a half-dozen trips to Canada, and I see nothing on the web site or on the form itself that states one must provide proof of ownership.

In reality, the 4457 isn't even a proof of ownership; it's merely proof that you took the item out of the U.S. I could get one for any item, even if it belongs to someone else. U.S. customs doesn't ask for any ownership proof when obtaining a 4457. And it's a good thing; I've had some of my rifles for a very LONG time and wouldn't have a clue on how to prove they are mine. Frowner -TONY

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Remember no handguns are to brought into Canada. Also some rifles you guys are used to are also restricted weapons here. Basically any semi that is derived from a full auto such as M 16's H& K etc. You should have no problem with a hunting rifle or shotgun including Rem autos, Browning etc.

pssst America, your vulnerability is showing.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside, the 4457 has absolutely nothing to do with ownership in any way shape or form. It does have to do with with paying duty on your possessions that you are bringing BACK into the USA. Electronics and cameras are exempt, but I still list mine. Most of the agents are too stupid to know the law. Or lazy. They (Most anyway) THINK the 4457 IS a proof of ownership. Shhhh... don't tell them any different. Simpletons. The only ones dumber are the TSA idiots.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4457 also has nothing to do with Canadian laws or rules. It's a US form for the US border agents when you bring your firearm back into the states. Canada may (probably will) require you to get a "temporary" registration form for your firearm, I forget the cost. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote