THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Terrible sheep hunt in the Yukon
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terrible sheep hunt in the Yukon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
The issue is being sorted now. Will report when resolved.

Yeah, but this whole thread seems to provide yet another reason not to hunt Canuk.

Looking forward to your follow-up report.

What are some of the other reasons not to hunt if this is only one of them.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
PerroGato, ¿Qué pasó?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Franco,
Un momento por favor.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious. Is true that also very experienced hunters can make a bad choice sometimes. It happened me too a couple of times.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What’s the hold up

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excited to hear about this. I have been thinking of reporting my own grizzly hunt that failed in Youkon in 2015. I complained to the outfitter, but I just got unpolite nonsense back.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Excited to hear about this. I have been thinking of reporting my own grizzly hunt that failed in Youkon in 2015. I complained to the outfitter, but I just got unpolite nonsense back.

Morten

Hunts fail for a bunch of reasons, some people have unreal expectations and unless they offer a guarantee, tough titty.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes hunts fails because the outfitter is overselling his quota ...

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of my better hunts were unsuccessful in some way.

A hunt that doesn’t work out yet you feel that everything was done is not a failure. A hunt where you were taken advantage of is another.

I’d encourage folks with negatives to post them, especially if the outfitter is unresponsive or unhelpful. If nothing else, let others know what happened.

As an example, my first cat hunts in Africa were unsuccessful in getting lion or leopard. All I ever saw posted were successful hunts... turns out most folks are unsuccessful the first time... I thought I was just major league unlucky, but others straightened me out quickly!

Then there are the goat ropes.

Dogcat has done this a while, I think he knows a bad hunt from a good. Since I am thinking of the same type of hunt, I am eagerly awaiting his report...but also understand the need to work stuff out without grandstanding too.

Posts: 10644 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is the outfitter was given a link to this thread and wisened up. As long as objectivity guides these kinds of things I'm good with it. The he said/she said, two sides to the story thing bugs the fuck outta me though. I despise false accusations as much as the crime itself and in this age of internet defamation I believe the laws should be incredibly punitive for making them.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I had 2 back to back bad hunts in northern BC 25 years ago with 2 different outfitters. Neither are still in business- in fact both were gone in less than 5 years. I wish this forum existed then as I would have named then. Alas, the internet as we know it didn’t exist and research was damn near impossible.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13162 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have decided to go public with my grizzly hunt in 2015 With the outfitter Chris Widrig.

I will start another thread and get some help from a friend to put in photoes and emails and contact etc.

I am aware that I might be the one that gets the criticism. That is ok - may I learn something from it. However, I hope that other hunters get a point or two out of it.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Yukon can be a rough place in more than one way.

I arrived in Dawson City a number of years ago. I had the outfitter present me a hold harmless agreement that was beyond ridiculous. I refused to sign. They threaten to not let me go.

I told them that I had been injured on hunts and had equipment trashed on hunts. Both were absolutely the result of outfitter negligence. I never did a thing about either. Having said that if they thought that I was going to give them a hold harmless for anything and everything including intentional criminal acts my their people, they were wrong. They backed off.

It was a horrible hunt. The cabins we stayed in were poorly designed. NOTHING would dry. The bunks were so short they ended at my knees. I am 5'9" The horses were beyond horrible. The worse I have ever seen. The weather was abysmal. There were plenty of local hunters. Their horses trashed by satellite phone. I left after I shot my sheep even though I had two weeks left. I had had enough.

Posts: 11980 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The Yukon can be a rough place in more than one way.

I arrived in Dawson City a number of years ago. I had the outfitter present me a hold harmless agreement that was beyond ridiculous. I refused to sign. They threaten to not let me go.

I told them that I had been injured on hunts and had equipment trashed on hunts. Both were absolutely the result of outfitter negligence. I never did a thing about either. Having said that if they thought that I was going to give them a hold harmless for anything and everything including intentional criminal acts my their people, they were wrong. They backed off.

It was a horrible hunt. The cabins we stayed in were poorly designed. NOTHING would dry. The bunks were so short they ended at my knees. I am 5'9" The horses were beyond horrible. The worse I have ever seen. The weather was abysmal. There were plenty of local hunters. Their horses trashed by satellite phone. I left after I shot my sheep even though I had two weeks left. I had had enough.

My Texas-size 12s would've gone into remedial action on those a-holes long before that. Roll Eyes

Some of ya'll show waaay too much patience for Canuck outfitter bullshit. Whistling

Wisen up time on these hunts, I think.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, a TOUGH GUY!!!!

MOST Canadian outfitters treat foreign hunters VERY WELL and assaulting someone in Canada, could result in gaol time....NOT fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be posting a very scathing hunt report on a recent trip my hunt partner and I made to the Yukon. As you can tell from my by-line signature, I go on a lot of hunts. I have not been on one this bad before. I am sure there will be a lot of discussion on this one - so be on the alert. I will post shortly.

We have been trying to sort this out with the outfitter but he has resorted to name calling and misinformation - can you say "fake news". Very disappointing as this outfit was reputed to be a good one. We found out the opposite. We are also talking to the Yukon authorities about illegalities that may have occurred. No fun was had by all....

The bottom line was that I researched this hunt in detail. I talked my good friend into going. I booked direct (a mistake never to be made again as an agent may be able to solve this better than I can) and went with high expectations.

I had another hunt last year that did not turn out well. The agent stood up and worked hard to resolve. No one was happy but the agent was reliable and honest. I should know better by now.

Stay tuned.

So has this hunt report been posted some where else or is it not happening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No public hunt report will be posted as terms of the settlement with the outfitter. Will share some details privately via Pm.

We settled and were refunded.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
I read through this whole thread. I am glad to hear you were able to settle with the Guide.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
maybe we did annexe Alaska .... lol

Just keep your Tim Hortons there. Big Grin

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No public hunt report will be posted as terms of the settlement with the outfitter. Will share some details privately via Pm.

We settled and were refunded.

all is good and the most important is that with the pressure from here you got what you wanted on the monetary side.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote