Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a Crimson Trace?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Just wondered what is thought of the use of a laser light and if Crimson Trace is good, bad, or indifferent.

I think it's a good idea, but have never used one.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of them, one on a Kimber concealed carry and one on a Smith 66. I understand they've changed the design now, but the 1911 grips I had had a major flaw.....if you set them down with the "buttton" (which was a pressure point type bulge) down, which was the normal way to set them down, and if anything put any pressure on the gun, then the laser would come on and run the battery down.

As far as actual use goes, I've never fired one in anger but they are fun to shoot with and certainly can tell you how your accurate your pistol pointing is.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give them about a 7.

There are other brands for Glocks and 1911s that fit inside the frame, that is, they are in the front of the pistol not the grips. Better deal IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while not the crimson trace, i've had a few laser sights and i can't say i'm very fond of them. they don't work in bright light and in the dark i can't see anyway, thus they are good only for low light. then you have to air the laser just like you would sights if you want to hit anything. hip shooting with a laser just scattered bullets around. anyway if i gotta use the things like i would sight, why not just use sights just my opinion of course, other i'm sure will disagree

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, I bought a CZ P-01 with the Crimson Trace and a Streamlight rail light. Going to the range this week and play with it.

The CT is pretty bright, in the kitchen anyway! Feral lions, I mean cats, beware!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
love it...cats run around and chase the laser for hours...i have one on a glock

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have one on my S&W 329 which is my daily carry gun these days both in the bush and in town. I love it! Weather shooting poachers dogs or having a look arround the skining shed at night, I have found few sighting systems as fast in low light conditions, and any others that are as fast are 10x bulkier (like holosights)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote