THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Do you consider o/u rifles in the same "league" as s/s?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you consider o/u rifles in the same "league" as s/s?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Never owned or fired a double. I have s/s and o/u shotguns, and like them for their pointability, lightness, etc.

Seems like the o/u double would "aim" better, especially in the smaller calibers eg 375 and 9.3, where one would use it for non DG and scoped, to benefit from the handiness of the gun, and quite frankly, to hunt with something different.

For those of you who have used both, and especially the s/s Aficionados, do you consider the o/u to be a worthwhile rifle, or are you just plain dyed in the wool s/s advocates?

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
O/Us, "worth while", that is subjective. Depends on how you plan on using it. What you are going to hunt with it.

I have been lucky enough to get to shoot both styles of DRs. O/Us generaly will cost less than SxSs. They will both give you two fast shots. But, the O/Us will be slower to reload, as they must be opened further to load thet bottom barrel. That is one of the big pluses for the SxSs, both barrels can be loaded at the same time. One day I hope to own at least one DR, and it will be a SxS.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the SXS, no matter the calibre.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hope to own an "Express Rifle" in a suitable caliber some day. However when it comes to a "Dangerous Game" double it has to be a side by side double rifle.

Unless the rifle is chambered for 9.3X74R, the cartridge for that double rifle needs to end in these words, NITRO EXPRESS.
There is no substitute!

Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have owned, shot, and loaded for both and truely prefer the O/U both in rifles and shotguns. I just shoot them better. For example on sporting clays I will be better by 20 targets average with an O/U. I find the rifles easier to scope in the smaller calibers ie: 9.3x74r and no more difficult to load in the larger calibers if equipped with ejectors. If I should ever buy another double rifle it will probably be an O/U.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i should probably keep my big mouth shut, but i've got about 6 sxs and 3 o/u at the moment. what i find is that the o/u's are slower to reload because of the greater opening angle, but they are much more accurate. I have a 06 that will hold consecutive barrels slightly under 1" at 100, a 300 H&H that will do about 1.5" and a 9.3x74 that will do about 2". my sxs's won't hold that close, however they are also in larger calibers. What i find myself doing is grabbing a o/u for most of the plains game & cats and using the sxs for buff and ele. The one note on the o/u accuracy however is that they seem to be more particular to their "sweet load" and the sxs. OK now all you guys can jump on me sofa

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've owned both in past, and own both today! I love both, and in fact love any firearm that has more than one barrel, large or small.

The place I put each type of double rifle is a place I consider to be it's best place for that type. This isn't unusual, we tend to place our bolt rifles in the places where they work best. This can be done by the cartridge size, by the type of action, by the game we use each on. I guess what I'm trying to say is this isn't unique to double rifle owners.

If I'm hunting anything that bites back, the double in my hands will deffinently be a S/S double rifle. The chambering "SIZE" will depend on how tough the target is to stop when angered. The one thing that will never change if dangerous game is involved,above the rifle being S/S, the cartridge will always be a flanged cartridge, of appropreate size.

I like O/Us, both rifles, and shotguns, but in the rifle tubes the cartridge will be in the deer, elk, black bear type, and will be flanged if possible, but in the case of this type of hunting, I can live with rimless cartridges.

My take is S/S DGR doubles, are for any type hunting you would do with any double rifle, but are at their best where dangerous game is involved.

The O/U is a fine choice hunting of things up to, and including the large bears in the open or fairly open woods. In some of the flater shooting rounds like the 7mms, 9.3s and .375s The O/U is a good rifle for open tundra, especially if scoped. Once the bush gets tight, however, the O/U double rifle will be traded for a S/S in my hands, if the bears are in the mix,in close cover.

There is nothing wrong with either type that totally disqualifies it for any type hunting, if that is what happens to be in your hands when the bear appears, but there cretainly is a difference, if you have a choice! I do have a choice, and I do have both types, and I do hunt both types of game. So do you if you are thinking about buying a double rifle that you will be useing for dangerous game, mine is a S/S double with a .400 or larger chambering, the cartridge will have a flanged case. For tin cans, and deer, the O/Us will get a work out. Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never consider an O/U DR. They offer no advantages whatsoever, and have many disadvantages. As far as regulation goes, a DR is a DR, and accuracy is entirely dependent on the regulator, not the orientation of the barrels. The SXS can be just as accurate as any O/U, and ususally is. The SXS is just as easy to scope as an O/U, assuming that it is done correctly to begin with. The only thing that makes the O/Us attractive are the prices for them on the used market - because so few want them.

Ah well, I suppose the barrel orientation of the O/U DR probably IS the correct one for drug addicts and drunks. Wink moon
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Just turn it sideways like the gangbangers fire their pistols. But only if you are drunk and/or stoned.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
Ah well, I suppose the barrel orientation of the O/U DR probably IS the correct one for drug addicts and drunks. Wink moon
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

quote:
Just turn it sideways like the gangbangers fire their pistols. But only if you are drunk and/or stoned.

Perry

jumping jumping beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Thee is certainly nothing wrong with a good O/U. They certainly qualify as a "dible rifle". However, despite being generally a little more accurate, the O/U lacks the esthetics of a well-balanced SXS.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Thee is certainly nothing wrong with a good O/U. They certainly qualify as a "dible rifle". However, despite being generally a little more accurate, the O/U lacks the esthetics of a well-balanced SXS.....

I don't find the O/Us to be ny more accurate than a S/S, of equal quality. In fact, I find the O/Us to be less accurate all being equal. I think where folks get the idea that the O/Us are more accurate is because almost all O/Us are scoped, and few S/Ss are. Even if both are scoped, or un scoped, if the load is not up to snuff, neither will be accurate. If properly regulated by the maker, and the proper load for that regulation is used, then either will be as accurate as me man shooting them. thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
400Nitro and PWN, ya'll crack me up. jumping
And I agree with you.
I always thought an O/U double was for a fella whose eyes went like this 8, instead of like this oo. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the question of cost:

When Beretta still had a showroom in Alexandria, Virginia, I would sometimes go into the store to admire the double rifles. I once asked the salesperson why their O/U double rifles were less expensive than their S/S doubles. He replied that the O/U rifles are less expensive to regulate.

I don't know whether his claim is true.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
interesting question...

there's no way I would have a 470, 500, or larger on an O/U... well, perhaps long enough to sell it...

but I certainly would consider a lighter rifle, in a lighter caliber, in O/U

but that's for a completely different purpose..

a heavy rifle (anything larger than 450/400 just to classify) should be a SxS, as thats what an express rifle is, with a broad sighting plane, and even a huge instintive plane, if it comes to that.

and O/U, IMHO, makes a trimmer rifle, though not always as elegant (CZ 458 Winmag for example.. great rifle.. U G L Y ) ... perfect for lighter calibers, perhaps even scoped, that are designed more for "delicate" work (wrong word, but you get the drift) than a battle rifle of the SxS

I would just be tickled to have a 7x57R O/U....

but a 470 NE? gimme a SxS ...

Just use the right tool, after all folks, it is POSSIBLE to drive railroad spikes with a roofing hammer.

just not the brightest thing in the world

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of our top PH's uses an O/U in .470. Built on a Browning Citori action- Why- Becuase he shoots an awful lot of birds and the Browning is his choice as a bird gun. The single triger seems to work just fine and have only ever seen him "double" it once on a speed shoot. Seen many more lads "double" a conventional S by S when they have used the front trigger first and tthe recoil has caused their finger to slip back onto the other trigger.

I have used a coule of good doubles over the years and would dearly love a good Krieghoff ( I just like the safety/cocking system for both a PH and client- different for a culling officer in parks- but then I wouldn't use a double...) but that being out of my price leage at present have seriously been looking at a spare set of barrels in .450 No 2 for my Citori.

For a follow up of a wounded animal into Jess you are going to get two shots with a double and one with a bolt action rifle. Speed of reload is an accademic question- who cares that Kreighoffs don't have ejectors? For what I would use a double for ( follow up only ) even regulation is fairly accademic I want it to keep both bullets on a target the size of an orange at 10 yards.

Also, I shoot nearly as many rounds of 12 guage as I do .22 or 9,3 out of my mausers so I am very comfortable with the safety. If you are an active shotgun shooter who uses a double than an O/U rifle of the same configuration makes sense ( to me- but then, I have been standing too long in the African Sun so please ignore all advice Wink)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Gosh, now I KNOW I am getting old. I think OO is the proper configuration for both rifles AND shotguns!!

To me handling an over/under in either rifled or smooth tubes is like trying to swing a 2x4 held narrow-edge-up. I have broken 50-straight with my O/U Browning, though it was just on a lark as I am not actually a clay-bird shooter. But, I didn't find it comfortable.

Having owned a fairly extensive number of double rifles in both sxs and o/u, I'll never own another that has the barrels stacked. But a nice, classic WR hand-detachable box-lock in .450/400?... I truly hope to get another of those...and that they put it in the box with me when I go.

And I also have no use at all for scopes on any kind of double rifle...particularly an O/U...then it isn't like swinging a 2x4 with the narrow side up...it's like swinging a 2x6!!

P.S.: I don't want single-trigger guns, either. With two triggers you ALWAYS have the choice of which barrel fires first, no selectors required. If you use the gun enough to be familiar with it, it isn't even a conscious process. You just fire the barrel(s) you want to use, in the order you want to use them.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Back in about 1981 or so I began to crave a Browning Continental, .30-06 and 20 ga. in the O/U configuration. I had a little financial problem involving an engagement ring and the attending festivities, but by 1983 I had acquired the LOVE of my FIREARMS LIFE. Yes, the big bores should be in a "traditional" S/S configuration, but I still like to color outside the box somewhat... The first Fall I doubled on Whitetail Bucks, and that is more thrilling then doubling on ducks! Lastily, I would have to confess that giving a right and a left has more sex appeal than giving an under and an over.

Wink

cheers For all double shooters.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I shoot my Perazzi O/U when it's time to be serious at sporting clays and double trap... but when it's time to have fun

my coggie sxs in 475ne
1883 holland & holland 12ga hammergun
hollis bros sxs 20ga hammer
parker 20ga hammerless
parker 28ga hammerless

I agree you might shoot the o/u better overall.. but with a little practice, you can shoot sxs just as well.. but sxs are fun, and everyone around you will want to see it, hold it, and shoot it... it's definitely the more fun social shooting style of gun

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting o/u for decades, be it shotguns or rifles. This being, having the same stock measures and balance for both makes sense. Hence, my FN-Browning 9,3x74R is a perfect companion for my B25's.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:

The eyepiece of that scope seems to be mounted awfully far back to me. Doesn't it jab you in the eye every time you fire the rifle?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Not in the least, this rifle is shot offhand at running game during drive hunting.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
I've been shooting o/u for decades, be it shotguns or rifles. This being, having the same stock measures and balance for both makes sense. Hence, my FN-Browning 9,3x74R is a perfect companion for my B25's.

André
very nice set of guns beer Is your double regulated for norma vulcan, alaska or FN ammo?

I like o/u for doubles and shotguns Smiler
Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like recoil characteristics of O/U better.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Lastily, I would have to confess that giving a right and a left has more sex appeal than giving an under and an over.

Aint that the truth!

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Johan,
Originally (24 years ago) my o/u was regulated for the 285 FN ammo, which no longer exists. When my supply was exhausted, I found out that The Norma Alaska (who had started to supply FN-Browning in the meantime) shot just as well. After a few years, Norma changed their load and bbl. regulation went to pot. I then switched to Blaser 285 CDP and both bbls. shot into 1 hole again. I used it for some seasons but found the bullets too hard and lacking expansion on anything but the biggest boars. Finally, last year, I had my bbls. re-regulated for the contemporary Norma Alaska and all is well again. BTW, I've developped handloads using H4831/68.0, behind an old stock of 285 Norma Plastic Pt that shoot just as fine.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Andre ,have you tried the norma Oryx bullet ot the 286 grs woodleigh for your 9,3 mm browning. i dont have a double rifle but i have a Browning olympic model shotgun, its a b26 and i dont want a different shotgun.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I didn't try thr Oryx in my double but have used it in my 9,3x62's. It expands well and stays together, a good bullet I think. However, I killed a Sweedish moose with a 200 gn Oryx in .300 Win.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't try thr Oryx in my double but have used it in my 9,3x62's. It expands well and stays together, a good bullet I think. However, I killed a Sweedish moose with a 200 gn Oryx in .300 Win.

Andre, pick up some 286 gr Nosler Partitions, they expand properly, and pennetrate better than the X-bullets! For any of the 9.3s this is the soft point!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'd love to but they're not available on these shores. BTW, it is the case for most 9,3 components as demand is practically nihil. The caliber is one of the most populars for drive hunting but most owners are hunters who don't handload.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
The question might be why mix sxs with o/u. It helps me to shoot rifles and shotguns with the same handling characteristics. When I am using my heavy double on elephant I want all the muscle memory to be approximately the same and not have to tax my feeble brain to compensate for the differences.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
You're getting my point, CFA...

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.