THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    To engrave or not to engrave? That is the question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To engrave or not to engrave? That is the question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Gosh I love double rifles. I just drool over the engraving that I have seen on some of your VCs but I confess that at the same time, I also love the elegantly clean look of the Heym PH.

What's your preference?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Tastefully done engraving is never the wrong choice.
Tastes will vary so the only person it has to please is you! tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'm with you on that. Give me blued metal and nice walnut, and I'm happy. I find engraving to be a needless distraction, like fuzzy dice and curb feelers on a 61 Cadillac. If you like squiggly lines, buy an Etch-a-Sketch :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Gosh I love double rifles. I just drool over the engraving that I have seen on some of your VCs but I confess that at the same time, I also love the elegantly clean look of the Heym PH.

What's your preference?

You don't mean that finish that looks like it was done with a piece of steel wool do you? Surely not! Cool

Dave, are you just stir??

Whistling

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
buy an Etch-a-Sketch :-)

Or you could try to pry Bieb's away from him..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

Doc +1 for sure!

I have always admired the elephant engraved on the floorplate of your V-C. I have ordered the same engraving on my V-C Imperial in 450NE recently ordered from Ken. Cool

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave

Have you seen the Border Engraving on the Heym PH?

Also you can now get the PH with a Blue finsh.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I have not.

I have to get down to DSC next year to look around.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

Doc +1 for sure!

I have always admired the elephant engraved on the floorplate of your V-C. I have ordered the same engraving on my V-C Imperial in 450NE recently ordered from Ken. Cool

Nice! beer

I have the original photos I gave them from which to work if you need them. It's likely the Verney-Carron folk still have them but if not, let me know and I'll send them to you.

Looking forward to seeing it or at least photos tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed full coverage engraving but the border engraving on this Jos Lang 12b looks better and better every time I pull it out of the safe.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
A Heym ain't even close to that beauty.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I could go either way. Beautiful engraving is an art to enjoy but to spend the money to get it done..........just not sure. Would always be thinking of another rifle I could of bought for the price of the engraving. If it were a no cost option, Absolutely!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rest of the rifle is perfect then I would go for engraving.For example I would want a very nice stock on the rifle beforehand-a stock made from a top stockmaker.I have something already in mind-who would stock and engrave a double if I where doing one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
If the rest of the rifle is perfect then I would go for engraving.For example I would want a very nice stock on the rifle beforehand-a stock made from a top stockmaker.I have something already in mind-who would stock and engrave a double if I where doing one.

Like Holland and Holland? jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No,I would probably go with Ralf Martini or Lon Paul.The engraver would be a man with the initials SW(dont want to give away all my secrets). rotflmoFor the action I think the Searcy boxlock would be fine.I would have Ralf do some filing and shaping too.Maybe try and change the barrel contour also.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Personally I like a small amount of very fine English scroll, and color casing on the action with maker’s name, inlaid gold on the belly and spelling out “SAFE” in front of the safety switch in small block letters inlaid gold. Barrels rust blacked.

The one thing I do not like is bare coin finish on the action! That has to at least have border engraving!

..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Case blue by Turnbull and is be happy without engraving.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Too much of even the best engraving starts to make the weapon look like a safe queen and I personally don't care for that at all. That said, when I order a double, I will choose a SMALL bit of border engraving and scroll over a LOT of mediocre work. Quality, not quantity!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Border engraving at the least.
The Heym PH just looks not finished. Add some basic border scroll and it looks great tu2 . It's a minimal cost to do this amount of engraving (from experience).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post

FN-Browning CCS25 in 9,3x74R

Right side, engraved and signed (bottom right corner of action )by J.Baerten, former FN's master engraver.

Left side : arrow indicates hidden/engraved hollow gas-screw

Action belly

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a picture of the Heym PH with just the border engraving that they could post? Chris, do you have one?

Mac, I also like a color case hardened action with the makers name in gold. Very classy.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
A Heym ain't even close to that beauty.

jorge:

Unrelated PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess I could go either way.

Wolfie, I would have never guessed! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The bog standard engraving on the VC is just fine. Not too pretentious.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Friends,
at Heym rifles you can get the best and as many engraving as you want.

I will post some for you, together with the working time and the price (in Germany).
(Here we will speak about arabesk-engraving only. Of course you can have any othet style, as russia, animals, combinated or the new fashinon the keltic or greeg-roman style too.)

Best wishes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first step is you can have an little engraving line about the main parts of all metall.

Chris has posted some photos of this severall months ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The next stepp is the standart engraving of the 88 safari.
Here you see an very good example.
(It is engraved from Michael Oke, Suhl, one of the best -or the best- arabesk engravers in Germany).

It takes one week and cotst 2.000 - 4.000 Euro.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The next step is the advanced standart engraving. It has more lines, more arabesks.
Here you can see this at an Heym 80 b (the samler frame, for 6 to 9 mm bullets, nit for the safari bulltes from .375 Fl. up).

It takes two weeks and costs 3.000 - 6.000 Euros.
(The price -and the price of the others- detend an witch engraver, how deep, how fine are the arabesks, pp.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is an modified 88 safari engraving. Best quality, very fine and deep.

This takes 2 weeks working time and starts from 4.000 euros.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...from the last to the full engraving you can have what you want.

Nearly 3 weeks working time and it starts from 6.000 euros up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is nearly full engraved with arabesks (i would say in Germany: "Graviert zu 80 Prozent").

It has some fans here in europe.
And many rich people like that.

It taks up to 5 weeks working time and starts at 9.000 euros.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is the full arabsk engraved modell. More is not possible.
(This is an Heym Mod. 55, over and under, in .450/400 NE.)

This takes more than 2 months and cost ca. 12.000 euros, or 15.000 and more if it is very deep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PLEASE:

- This are german prices as you find in the internet and the german heym pricelist. I give this to you my friends as an oriantaion and the are in the internet also.
- Then this comes to the US, they are taxes, border cost, shipping, pp. so you have to ask Chris (Heym USA) for the exactly prices. He is an very good man and hunter and he will be very fair.

PLEASE II:
- In some weeks we had our great Heym event in Germany.
We will have the best 10 engravers from Germany in the Heym factory (and mutch more...) and they will show mutch stuff.
- I think Chris comes too and so we can post some more photos later on.

I wish you an nice weekend.

Bock, I

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm more into simple when it comes to guns. If it is wood I like it dark, I'm not into shiny receivers, but I love the CCH finish on receivers. Normally I need simple engraving if at all but I wouldn't pay the value added cost to add it on a new rifle. When it comes to the gold inlays I would have a hard time adding it as sometimes I think it looks gaudy and just not worth the cost to add it for my uses. I'm more into a working gun or what I think of as a PH gun. But a double is a gun probably most fondled than used so I could definately see someone adding these features for sitting on the sofa dreaming of going back to Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
Guess I could go either way.

Wolfie, I would have never guessed! :-)

Only for you BiebsSmiler Your such a cutie!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wolfie,
i have seen what beibs does with dead griz bears your more of a what ever it takes::: than i could every be shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hook, you're just not used to partners that don't "oink" :-)

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Dr.FM, IMO, the last two pics of near-full & full arabesque & scroll are beautiful.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Does anyone have a picture of the Heym PH with just the border engraving that they could post? Chris, do you have one?

Mac, I also like a color case hardened action with the makers name in gold. Very classy.

This is on the older frame style, but the same pattern is being used today.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947