New
Find
Notify
Tools

ITHACA DOUBLE 45/70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up an Ithaca 20 gauge thats been sleeved/converted to 45/70, most likely done by Searcy. Anyone have any info on these guns, the price was right & the gun seems to be fine. I'll shoot it tomorrow.

Thanks, Dick

Posts: 135 | Location: Soda Springs, Idaho | Registered: 16 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that Searcy never saw that set up. Years ago he did some on a BSS action, but he marked these as his works.
IIRC Ithacas only have 2 bites? Right?
If so mild trapdoor loads only!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should get some photos of this rifle up here for the group to see.

Did the seller suggest it was built by BSearcy?

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I never heard of Mr. Searcy using Ithaca actions.

I do know for a fact that a chap called Gordon Harms of Nebraska (who does alot of shotgun to double rifle conversions) has built at least one double rifle in .45-70 on the Ithaca action.

If it is the same rifle (or one identical to it) it has an "Armoloy" finish on the action, and "DuraCoat" finish on the 24"bbls. The rifle I mention was regulated for 350 grain Hornadys at 1850fps.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its NOT a searcy -
I, myself, would never build anything bigger than 22H on an ithaca.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote