Find
Notify
Tools

Shootaway Wisdoms
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
I find myself perplexed at this point in my shooting career, especially in regards to double rifles. What knowledge I had gained and consolidated from the many "so called" experts here on AR, namely Hunter Jines, Cal, Tony, Mac, etc., I now find questionable in light of "The One" true shooting, hunting, and rifle expert exploding onto the scene with "the worlds best double rifle, ever made, in the history of double guns" and the knowledge he possesses. My foundations have been shaken! My goal now is to set aside the false conclusions I held and adopt these new truths going forward. I would like to know if any of you guys have experienced the same epiphany of the new ways overshadowing the misconceptions of the past? Specifically, I'd like to hear your opinions on the following:

1) Enhancement of shooting prowess while balancing on one foot in the manner demonstrated by a ballerina performing a pirouette.

2) The technique required to make a bullet fly in a "W" trajectory striking the target dead on at 10, 50, and finally, again at 125 yards. (Aside commentary ... Did Oswalt know something about this "truth" when he shot Kennedy and hit Conally as well?)

3) The effects of wearing a "shooting helmet" during practice. Specifically, what effects can one expect from the screws on said helmet being ... loose?

4) In what way does filing the bottom of the front sight affect POI in the event said front sight is held in position from the top by spring tension from the bottom ... the same bottom that was just filed? Just my personal comment here, but Shootaway has convinced me with this particular practice that it IS possible to take water from the deep end of a swimming pool, pour in into the shallow end, thereby "evening out" the two depths! Much in the same way one can lengthen a blanket by cutting a foot off the top end and sewing onto the bottom end! Brilliant!!

5) Eliminating the effects of gravity which heretofore caused bullets to drop by ever increasing amounts with ever increasing range, simply by properly cleaning the rifle's bores! I never knew those brushes are only good for a single cleaning. In fact, they probably are only good for a single pass down the bore before needing to be thrown out. To think I've been using the same brush, on the rare occasion I actually use a brush these days, for 20+ years.

6) Determining a bullet's terminal performance on game by striking it with a hammer and observing the "expansion".

I'm sure I've left out many tidbits of these "New Age" double rifle and shooting in general "wisdoms" recently brought to us by "The One". I'd like to hear your opinions on these truths! Please feel free to add to the list as I'm in full learning mode here and want to set aside the old wives tales getting this thing straight once and for all. Surely some of you guys have additional opinions on the proper use of locktite as well as techniques for sex identification of buffalo?

holycow

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Todd-

You're spending entirely too much time on a worthless cause. I suggest you go out and shoot something. Wink

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

You might want to set a survey point at your range and tie a pump bob to your trigger guard to be sure you are properly aligned to the target and you are not canting your gun.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Temperature has no affect on powder burn rate and velocity.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do I detect a bit of jealousy here?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Todd, don't forget you can learn a lot about photography from the master. He is also board certified in species and gender identification.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I find myself perplexed at this point in my shooting career, especially in regards to double rifles. What knowledge I had gained and consolidated from the many "so called" experts here on AR, namely Hunter Jines, Cal, Tony, Mac, etc., I now find questionable in light of "The One" true shooting, hunting, and rifle expert exploding onto the scene with "the worlds best double rifle, ever made, in the history of double guns" and the knowledge he possesses. My foundations have been shaken! My goal now is to set aside the false conclusions I held and adopt these new truths going forward. I would like to know if any of you guys have experienced the same epiphany of the new ways overshadowing the misconceptions of the past? Specifically, I'd like to hear your opinions on the following:

1) Enhancement of shooting prowess while balancing on one foot in the manner demonstrated by a ballerina performing a pirouette.

2) The technique required to make a bullet fly in a "W" trajectory striking the target dead on at 10, 50, and finally, again at 125 yards. (Aside commentary ... Did Oswalt know something about this "truth" when he shot Kennedy and hit Conally as well?)

3) The effects of wearing a "shooting helmet" during practice. Specifically, what effects can one expect from the screws on said helmet being ... loose?

4) In what way does filing the bottom of the front sight affect POI in the event said front sight is held in position from the top by spring tension from the bottom ... the same bottom that was just filed? Just my personal comment here, but Shootaway has convinced me with this particular practice that it IS possible to take water from the deep end of a swimming pool, pour in into the shallow end, thereby "evening out" the two depths! Much in the same way one can lengthen a blanket by cutting a foot off the top end and sewing onto the bottom end! Brilliant!!

5) Eliminating the effects of gravity which heretofore caused bullets to drop by ever increasing amounts with ever increasing range, simply by properly cleaning the rifle's bores! I never knew those brushes are only good for a single cleaning. In fact, they probably are only good for a single pass down the bore before needing to be thrown out. To think I've been using the same brush, on the rare occasion I actually use a brush these days, for 20+ years.

6) Determining a bullet's terminal performance on game by striking it with a hammer and observing the "expansion".

I'm sure I've left out many tidbits of these "New Age" double rifle and shooting in general "wisdoms" recently brought to us by "The One". I'd like to hear your opinions on these truths! Please feel free to add to the list as I'm in full learning mode here and want to set aside the old wives tales getting this thing straight once and for all. Surely some of you guys have additional opinions on the proper use of locktite as well as techniques for sex identification of buffalo?

holycow

yuck
Todd - I about peed my pants reading your post - too funny!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question should be when well the real master chime in.

Calling Shootaway dancing

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never thought I would see Todd write Shootaway and wisdom in the same post much less the same sentence.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Todd - I was about to write you a PM and ask for your advice for starting shooting my newly aquired double rifle...

Shit happens .. now I have to find another menthor unless you say you stick to your wisdom earned through many years of practising, reloading and hunting !

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a paradox in terms, Todd. Your education is not complete, however, without a thorough understanding of front sights, locktite, a left threaded bezel framastan and POI's.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Tod, remember to aim low if you have a tail wind - the bullet will be going faster and will shoot high. Same reason to aim high if you are bucking the wind!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I completely forgot about the counter rotating rifling. Not to mention the effects of such depending on location ... north or south of the equator?

So much to learn from shootyourcow! So little time. holycow

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to realize how much I don't know.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

No kidding. And to think I had relied on much of your advice only to find you shoot trash doubles.

Cool

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
I'm really sorry.
Perhaps I can make it up to you by sending you a signed copy of Shootaway's biography as well as a portrait of him to hang in your trophy room.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd:
I'm really sorry.
Perhaps I can make it up to you by sending you a signed copy of Shootaway's biography as well as a portrait of him to hang in your trophy room.
Cal

That would be nice! Didn't know you guys were tight like that! clap

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please.

Simply order THE book on the subject from Amazon.com (only $139.95 plus $25 shipping and handling, $100 shipping surcharge to Willow Alaska).

As is the case with Speed's book for the Mauser Sporting Rifles, this new book will answer ALL your double rifle questions!

*If you own one of the many lesser quality rifles, e.g., Leonard, Rigby, Westley Richards, Purdy, Holland & Holland, Jeffery, Lang, Webley, Fraser, Army & Navy, Francotte, etc. this book will nevertheless be of some use to you for cleaning techniques, etc.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I agree with Paul, if you do not have a copy, pick one up. It is an easy read since it is only three pages (including the title page and then there is a color by number page where you can color in a buffalo cow).

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I agree with Paul, if you do not have a copy, pick one up. It is an easy read since it is only three pages (including the title page and then there is a color by number page where you can color in a buffalo cow).

I laughed so hard on this one I wet myself.
Cal
PS. I wonder if Shootaway knew how acting like an ass would haunt him so. Maybe we should go after Zombiekiller and Mike Massey this way. Hell, there are the Darwin Awards, maybe we can come up with an AR award for asshole of the year. This is fun and I appreciate all of you gents out there. It was great meeting many of you at Dallas.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The jokes on you Cal. I personally know that George bought one of your books and actually thought it was a coloring book. You should see what a Holland & Holland Royal looks like colored with those big fat Kindergarten crayons. It ain't pretty.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The jokes on you Cal. I personally know that George bought one of your books and actually thought it was a coloring book. You should see what a Holland & Holland Royal looks like colored with those big fat Kindergarten crayons. It ain't pretty.

They're called enamelled sideplates Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I forsee this thread being at the top many times to come. Maybe the master could just keep listing his rules and observations directly so we could all learn and be grasshoppers to his blind master Po.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2yIkDVs0cA

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought he ate the crayons while riding on the short bus. Eeker

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is an actual excerpt from George's book. As I mentioned, George has a soft spot in his heart (head?) for coloring books. Being a simple person he wanted to keep the color by numbers picture relatively simple too.

Mike

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hah! In coloring, "1" is purple...except for girls, when it is pink.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard that shootacaow was being considered for a position with the Afghanistan Space Agency as a physics, trajectory and ballistics consultant.

They are planning on launching their first manned space vehicle the "Al Shiesh Ka Bab" within the year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why am I envisioning Shootacow sitting in the rocket, and a pullstart attached to his head?
And the rocket just pop-pop-popping away as the poppy fuel ignites. And someone yelling make sure that pullstart is spun the clockwise on him to get the correct spindrift on him??????

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, and it never does, then I believe the original pilots of the "Al Sheish Ka Bab" were Hasan Ben Sober and Half-a-Dolla. I can see Shootacow in his space suit now...a mankini. Mission control, we have a problem.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck
Astronaut clad in mankini and "shooting-star-space-helmet." animal

Anybody troubled by the flawed physics of the movie GRAVITY?
I sure was.
George Clooney character came to rest on the end of a tether: Sandra Bullock character could have reeled him in with one finger,
in weightless orbit, instead of the
BS version of him drifting off into eternity ...

Probably written by holycowshootawhey!
... George (Clooney)
... (Sandra) Bull(ock)
... faulty physics
... Yep. That explains it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Shooter a break -- the laws of physics may be different up north.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Give Shooter a break -- the laws of physics may be different up north.

Not different "Up North", but certainly different in his "world"!

space

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The moderators should move this to the humor section.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I completely forgot about the counter rotating rifling. Not to mention the effects of such depending on location ... north or south of the equator?

So much to learn from shootyourcow! So little time. holycow

...So from this, no wonder my shots are off. I'll need to consult with some MIT astrophysicists. Hmmmm, twist rate, vs coriolis affect combined with the earth orbit just might stop my bullet's rotation in it's tracks? You're on to something.

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
There was something he posted a long time ago. Every time I go to the range I'm a bit afraid because don't remember exactly what Shootaway said caused it and I'm afraid it might happen to me. That is, I'm afraid the inside of my scope might burst into flames.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
This is hot off the press:

quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

When the barrel has serious copper no solvent or foam will remove it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are forgetting the preferred safari carry by Shootaway.
If you keep your rifle pointed at the PH's back you are ready for a charging buffalo no matter which side it comes from.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting a trophy llama, priceless.. I knew better than to look when I saw this one, could,nt stop myself..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote