Notify
Tools

dakota round body
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted
dakota

Looks nice. Third bite, long tang, chopper lump brls, anti doubling mechanism on triggers, selective ejectors, classy engraving, would like to hear what those in the know think of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's an Italian rig and Dakota sells darn few of them.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Do you think because the gun is not competitive at that price? I have a Searcy Classic in the works: 450 NE, 26" brls, trap grip, upgraded wood, night sight. Could have added intercepting sears ($3500 I think), long tang $1000, etc. and probably would end up right around the price of the Dakota. Your opinion is apreciated. Thank You.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
because NE rifles aren't a thing they know anything about?
quote:
The Dakota Double Rifle is available in many traditional rimmed calibers including 7X57R, .30-30,9.3x74R, .45-70, and .375 H&H Flanged, as well as popular big game cartridges such as the .470 and .570 Nitro Express.

http://www.dakotaarms.com/currentinventory/firearmDescriptions/doublerifle/

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38465 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen or handled one of these? Who is the Italian maker? Some Italian doublerifles are excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Italian maker is A&S. They make a good looking gun. The ones I have seen were high grade so I cannot comment on the lower end one.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnAir:
Has anyone seen or handled one of these? Who is the Italian maker? Some Italian doublerifles are excellent.

Rusty, Nitro 400, and I took one apart at the Dallas Safari Club show two years ago, and looked it over prety well. The Dakota employee in their booth didn't know anything about double rifles, so we educated him with a little show & tell. The rifle is definently Italian, and the one we handled was chambered for 375H&H flanged. I fit me well, and seemed to ballance perfectly for me. It is a little on the fancy side for my taste, but that has nothing to do with the quality of manufacture. I would say, without all the decoration, I would like it better, though the engraveing was very well done. It just isn't my cup of tea. I don't think it will sell as well as Dakota would have hoped, and one reason is the price tag. For a starting price of $20K plus, folks can do better. I, for one would much rather have a $16K Heym, or a $12K Searcy, and spend the rest on a couple buffalo trophy fees! Just my opinion! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
It is from Italy, but the maker is not FAMARS it is Ferlib. They are very nice guns, just out of my price range.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. You are the greatest.