THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The ugliest sxs double rifle in the world?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ugliest sxs double rifle in the world?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.cabelas.com/product...3D0&Ntt=Double+rifle

My vote. Skip line checkering, and it has the ugliest pronounced action, with a severe slope through the barrels where they meet the action. The barrels are ported, that was a first. It is at the cabelas in Lexington, and I got them to pull it out of the case for me. Hideous, especially compared to my friends A&N .577-450.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
That is homely for sure. But the prize for ugliest and worst double has to be the Blaser S2.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is what it is; those outboard bolt lugs do make it ungainly but it certainly would be strong. I would not turn it down if someone gave it to me.
Continental doubles sometimes veer from the traditional English pattern, Yes. like the Blaser.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
That one's way pretty compared to the Blazer S2!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Paul and Tim nailed it. I would take that rifle over two or three Blaser S2's.

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They had it at the Louisville store when it opened until the Lexington stored opened. The first price was 18k now 16k. They have had it at Louisville and now Lexington for at least 5 years maybe more.

It looks a little better in person. Better or at least nicer doubles are for sale for same or less money. What do y'uns think of the clamshell side clips?

I nominate the Fuchs double bolt action as the second ugliest double.

Posts: 11457 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Just for the record I think the Blaser R93 and R8 rifles are okay. But the S2 is an abomination.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I will take the road of the optimist.
The rifle that is the subject of this thread is one beautiful boat anchor.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't spend what they want for it, but I kind of like it. Except the sort of odd transition from the sideclips to barrel diameter.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I've no doubt that someone will surpass this, if they already haven't.

Then again, it might shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and fit the fellow who ordered it like a silk jacket; you never know.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think its the ugliest... Blaser wins that hands down, but it is in the running for most overpriced...

Posts: 10830 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and ported at that.

I think my former J White conversion gun beats this for ugly tho.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I kinda like it.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10100 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I was talking to the fine gun room manager in Reno, he said that returning servicemen (stationed here in Germany) sell double rifles, drillings and combo guns and that the idiots that work in the fine gun rooms are buying them for stupid prices. The problem is that the majority of the shit they buy is not sellable.

It has gotten so bad that upper Cabelas managment has sent emails to fine gun room managers to stop buying this type of thing. Fjelstads book gives estimations on what the guns should be valued at. So some short sighted gun room managers have paid too much for rifles like this, based on Fjelstads book and not market value.

I personally would own it, I don't care about the bad engraving, or skip line checkering. It is a double rifle in a usable caliber. If it didn't shoot inside a skoal can at minute of buffalo maybe not.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Can this kind of checkering be "fixed"? Not that I'm in the market for this thing, just wondering.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The checkering can probably be fixed, it depends on if the skip line is evenly laid out to allow the missing lines to be cut to match the lines per inch of the pattern.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed the price had been dropped yet again to 12k. My appolgies. So, the price march down has went from 18k plus to 16k and now 12k. The bear engraving is actually nice in person.

Posts: 11457 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the checkering but all the rest I can live with. Well maybe not the price but otherwise it's okay.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the skip line checkering is awful, but IMHO it can be corrected. I have a couple of Krieghoff Ulm Primus DR's which came from the factory so adorned and my German gunsmith was able to transform them.

What bothers me is the idea of a 10 pound .375 H&H. My Krieghoff .375 H&H DR weighs only a fraction of that and is a pleasure to shoot.

The ported barrels are presumably uncorrectable, so that eliminates it from my consideration, whatever the price. To say that the original owner must have been recoil shy is a vast understatement.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Well, I always thought "I" had the ugliest Double rifle in the World.

This was built by Friedrich Stendebach sometime between 1907 and 1920. Its a 8x57R caliber. With a "Peep Site" no less.

In 2012 this rifle received a "Most Innovative Design" Award from the "German Gun Collectors Association - Vintagers" in Mapleville, Rhode Island.

It could have easily said "Most Ugliest Award".

But, just like your kids, you gotta love them all equally, no matter how they look!

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2158 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
buckstix, your rifle is built like a tank!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually kind of like it. Can you imagine shaping that thing at that time? What is the metal on the top part of the butt? How does it shoot?

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle in the subject line. Lazer weld the ports and fix the checkering. Done.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
buckstix, your rifle is built like a tank!

Hello PSmith.

I saw that you commented about one of these about 4 years ago. And yes, it is very "robust" to say the least. It weighs 8-3/4 pounds - loaded.

quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I actually kind of like it. Can you imagine shaping that thing at that time? What is the metal on the top part of the butt? How does it shoot?

Hello Colin Masters,

If you look at the 14th picture down, you can see that the metal is a cartridge-trap that holds 4 rounds.

As far as shooting goes, here's a target.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2158 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thing is sweet. Totally Germanic but it's attractive in its own way. The wood is fantastic.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
That is homely for sure. But the prize for ugliest and worst double has to be the Blaser S2.

THIS!

barf barf barf barf

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Does it shoot ugly?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buxstix, what a cool rifle. Thanks for showing it.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote