Tools

Doubling a double?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I did not realize that there was one proper way to shoot one. I wonder if the animals that die realize that they have been shot with an improper and embarrassing shortcut?

I'm sorry, I thought you knew more about Double Rifles and Shotguns than that. If you will notice the front trigger, on right hand guns, is offset to the right and the rear trigger to the left. On left hand guns is just the opposite. this is to make a natural fit for the trigger finger, which contact the trigger at the first joint of the index finger.

This allows for a full contact, slip proof way to pull the trigger. Unlike a single trigger weapon, where the tip of the trigger is sometimes used a Double is designed for full contact. No hair triggers just an honest pull.

Length of pull is important in that the pull needs to let your finger contact the trigger at natural length. No stretching and no scrunching. This is very important and most people don't understand the relationship. 1/4 of and inch can affect the feel of the rifle and trigger placement.

Like Mac said is is all about practice and muscle memory until it is automatic. Like riding a bicycle. But first you have to learn to do it the right way.

As to animals not knowing, I think they know and are embarrassed to be shot by amateurs. Wink

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Or is it just all talk?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Is what just talk?

Gator

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
Since my first firearm was a SxS shotgun with two triggers I am not having a problem remembering that my rifle has two triggers.

There is no thought in volved, I just know that there is a second trigger behind the first one.

Same as driving cars. I drive my truck the most and it has an automatic transmission. But when I get in my Jeep there is no thought involved in using it's clutch and shifting manually.

But therein lies the key as you, Lane and others have pointed out ...

Being so familiar with the practice that it is as natural as rubbing your eye when it itches.

If you have to think about doing it, you'll get yourself in trouble.

I'm the same way, i grew up with a DT double in my hand, and i wouldn't buy a single trigger double if it was half price!

If you can't shoot a DT double, you need more practise.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Is what just talk?

I think he is suggesting that you prove your bona fides that qualify you to speak with such experience and authority.

Mike

Posts: 21198 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I did not realize that there was one proper way to shoot one. I wonder if the animals that die realize that they have been shot with an improper and embarrassing shortcut?

I'm sorry, I thought you knew more about Double Rifles and Shotguns than that. If you will notice the front trigger, on right hand guns, is offset to the right and the rear trigger to the left. On left hand guns is just the opposite. this is to make a natural fit for the trigger finger, which contact the trigger at the first joint of the index finger.

This allows for a full contact, slip proof way to pull the trigger. Unlike a single trigger weapon, where the tip of the trigger is sometimes used a Double is designed for full contact. No hair triggers just an honest pull.

Length of pull is important in that the pull needs to let your finger contact the trigger at natural length. No stretching and no scrunching. This is very important and most people don't understand the relationship. 1/4 of and inch can affect the feel of the rifle and trigger placement.

Like Mac said is is all about practice and muscle memory until it is automatic. Like riding a bicycle. But first you have to learn to do it the right way.

As to animals not knowing, I think they know and are embarrassed to be shot by amateurs. Wink

Boy, I didn't realize that I have been shooting my doubles the wrong way for the last 30 years. Maybe that is why I have never had one of my doubles double discharge over literally thousands of rounds. I use the first pad of my trigger finger instead of the first joint. Using the pad allows a much straighter pull back. Using the joint can cause you to pull the rifle to the right on firing. Match rifle shooters have known that for over 100 years. In addition using the joint instead of the pad causes the rear of your trigger finger to get closer to the rear trigger. If you take a firm hold on the pistol grip your hand is less likely to slip during recoil. Al of the above is predicated on the length of pull and grip diameter and curve is proper for your hand size.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
quote:

Boy, I didn't realize that I have been shooting my doubles the wrong way for the last 30 years. Maybe that is why I have never had one of my doubles double discharge over literally thousands of rounds. I use the first pad of my trigger finger instead of the first joint. Using the pad allows a much straighter pull back. Using the joint can cause you to pull the rifle to the right on firing. Match rifle shooters have known that for over 100 years. In addition using the joint instead of the pad causes the rear of your trigger finger to get closer to the rear trigger. If you take a firm hold on the pistol grip your hand is less likely to slip during recoil. Al of the above is predicated on the length of pull and grip diameter and curve is proper for your hand size.

465H&H

Congratulations on at least finding a way to approximate the proper method. I'm glad it works for you.

Never having seen a Match Double rifle though I am not sure why you need such precise trigger control but I would guess that using the pad works just fine for target shooting.

However, if the Rifle was designed to be shot that way than when Holland, or Purdey, or Westley Richards, or whom ever measured you up for a Best Gun or rifle than they would indeed measure you to your finger pad instead of the first joint. They don't.

Now I will also be the first to admit the British Gun Trade did a lot of silly things while refining their products but designing guns to be shot rear first is not one of them. If that was their intention than the triggers would be reversed. The rear trigger being on the outboard side instead of the front one.

It seems that with the introduction of all the 'one size fits all' rifles of the past few years the idea and refinements that make a Double a useful tool has been compromised. People who are not willing to learn to do things properly and as designed still brag about their laziness as if they have discovered the Wheel.

Gator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
quote:

465H&H

Congratulations on at least finding a way to approximate the proper method. I'm glad it works for you.

Never having seen a Match Double rifle though I am not sure why you need such precise trigger control but I would guess that using the pad works just fine for target shooting.

However, if the Rifle was designed to be shot that way than when Holland, or Purdey, or Westley Richards, or whom ever measured you up for a Best Gun or rifle than they would indeed measure you to your finger pad instead of the first joint. They don't.

Now I will also be the first to admit the British Gun Trade did a lot of silly things while refining their products but designing guns to be shot rear first is not one of them. If that was their intention than the triggers would be reversed. The rear trigger being on the outboard side instead of the front one.

It seems that with the introduction of all the 'one size fits all' rifles of the past few years the idea and refinements that make a Double a useful tool has been compromised. People who are not willing to learn to do things properly and as designed still brag about their laziness as if they have discovered the Wheel.

If the finger from the second joint to the end of the finger is held straight the distance from the pad or the joint is exactly the same. Just wondering how many times have you had a double double?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
But you would still have to bend that finger to hook the trigger in order to pull it. Anytime your finger is not 90 degrees to the trigger on a heavy recoiling rifle you are risking it slipping off. If your finger doesn't naturally contact the trigger at the joint than you are risking it not being in the right place at the moment you need it. Length of Pull. Sweat, shooting gloves all can contribute to a poorly placed finger slipping when you are in a hurry and must rely on habit rather than thought.

My comments are not so much for you as the people who believe that pulling the rear trigger first is the way do shoot.

Perhaps if Will and Mr. Jines could call David Winks they could tell him how it should be done. animal

Gator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps if Will and Mr. Jines could call David Winks they could tell him how it should be done. animal

David would love that Big Grin

Maybe hey should suggest H&H change how they make guns to suit Will Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Does anybody ever have a 12 g shotgun SxS with double triggers double???

I have never.

Have not doubled a DR either...but have not shot great numbers yet.

But...I bet there are few people my age that have put more 12 g shells through a SXS double trigger shotgun than I.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

Well I will have to say my brother had a 20 ga Spanish double that doubled every time you fired the right barrel first. It sure made him try to remember to pull the back trigger first. He grew up just like me with a side by side double trigger gun and always shot front trigger first. He could never figure out pulling the rear first. It was so funny watching him shoot at a rabbit or dove and that gun hammering him. Now I will also state that this gun had very poor workmanship inside and this was the problem for it doubling. I later fixed the gun by having to do lots of stoning and fitting to the sears and cocking levers. Oh And I also fixed a 12 ga old damascus hammerless with the same problem. Yes it can be the gun sometimes but usually the shooter. Front trigger first is the only way to shoot a double. Only exception is when you have a solid in the left and a soft in the right and you need the solid first.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But you would still have to bend that finger to hook the trigger in order to pull it. Anytime your finger is not 90 degrees to the trigger on a heavy recoiling rifle you are risking it slipping off. If your finger doesn't naturally contact the trigger at the joint than you are risking it not being in the right place at the moment you need it. Length of Pull. Sweat, shooting gloves all can contribute to a poorly placed finger slipping when you are in a hurry and must rely on habit rather than thought.

My comments are not so much for you as the people who believe that pulling the rear trigger first is the way do shoot.

I really don't care if my trigger finger comes off the trigger after the first shot as long as it doesn't contact the rear trigger. I am moving it to the rear trigger as fast as I can anyway and a firm hold on the grip keeps the hand from slipping during the firing sequence. After that the hand has to move back if the finger is going to contact the rear trigger.

Maybe I am dense but I don't understand how my finger will not be in the right place when I fire whether I use the pad or the joint.

465H&H