Find
Notify
Tools

Your dream double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A bit silly, but I'm bored! -
Money no object, what would your dream double rifle be?

Two conditions -

It has to be new
And it has to be for Africa.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Even though I will never go to Africa, I have thought about the type of rifle I would take or have built were I ever to go.

For many years my dream gun was a Holland and Holland Royal Double in 465 H&H.

After having used a 375 H&H for several years now, I would still like a Royal Double, but in 375 H&H instead of the 465.

I am not interested in hunting elephant/hippo/rhino, so my largest quarries would be cape buffalo and eland, and I believe that the 375 will handle both of those.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
A prewar Westley Richards Droplock in 600NE!!!!!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mine would be a matched pair of Westley Richards high grade boxlocks with side plates, and good engraving of the big five and Brit rose & scroll. One standing and two flip-up sights, and quality quick detach scope rings on both rifles.

The small one would be an eight pound 375 Flanged magnum, and the large one would be a 10 pound 450NE 3 1/4"

Sorry couldn't imagine owning only one double rifle for Africa!

...................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, if a Purdy 600 NE would suffice, pony up $225,000..it's waiting for you on Guns Intl!

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
A prewar Westley Richards Droplock in 600NE!!!!!!!!!!

Brett

I has to be new, or no double!

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
The small one would be an eight pound 375 Flanged magnum,

Just to run this off course a little, I was figuring on an 8.5 to 9.5 pound 375 double.

What is the difference between the 375 Flanged versus the belted versus the 9.3x74?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
The small one would be an eight pound 375 Flanged magnum,

Just to run this off course a little, I was figuring on an 8.5 to 9.5 pound 375 double.

What is the difference between the 375 Flanged versus the belted versus the 9.3x74?

The flanged and 9.3x74 both have rims which are conducive to double rifle extraction. The H&H is belted and does not have a rim which makes it a potential issue for extraction.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one pointed at a 100+ pounder on a full charge!!!! shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vintage Rigby sidelever sidelock rising bite in 450-400 3" with well documented history. I don't mind a few character marks if I know who may have put them there, when and possibly where.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
Vintage Rigby sidelever sidelock rising bite in 450-400 3" with well documented history. I don't mind a few character marks if I know who may have put them there, when and possibly where.

No vintage allowed!

John

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would want a field grade 577 double in a tacky stainless and the stock to be 100% desert ironwood and many many memories of adventures on the Dark Continent.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't read carefully enough to see the New requirement......so in that case.....with great anticipation....a NEW Rigby with rising bite and sidelever in 450-400 3", and I'll have to make my own damn history !! Wink

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now Bailey that is what I want you to build for me. I'm working on a healthy deposit at this time.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Fine! A new Westley Richards droplock in 600NE!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
OK I've let this thread float around long enough and it's not going away so I'll bite.

I would have a sidlock built in Ferlach by who ever seems the best at the time. Right now it's really hard to choose between makers like Hambrusch, Hauptman,etc.

I would have it built in the white and un finnished wood for my favorite American engraver ( Jim White) and favorite American stock maker (Graham Bostick) too finnish out.

Heres the deal though, I would have it built with severall sets of barrels to cover anyting I might hunt.

I would have it built on a reciver big enough for a DG round leaning towards 500/416 or 450 Nitro.

Second set would be a 8x57jrs for pigs and light game.

3rd set a bergstutzen 7x57R and .22 hornet

And a set of shotgun barrels that would fit on that frame guessing 20 ga.

Oak and leather case fitting all the barrels and optics, Sure why not?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I think I am the luckiest fella on the planet, I have my dream double...

It is an original British Double in 450 No2.

It has 28" barrels, and fits me perfect. I have made some of the best shots on game with it.

I have taken deer, pigs, African plains game, giraffe, several cape buff, and several elephants.

It shoots 350 450, 480 and 500 gr bullets to the same place and same regulation.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Two matched British doubles from Boss and Company in 500 and 450/400.

John how is my choice?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Two matched British doubles from Boss and Company in 500 and 450/400.

John how is my choice?

Mike

Not bad, shame about the 450/400 though!

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A match pair of "new" Holland and Holland in 8 bore regulated for black powder and conical lead bullets. No engraving, no gold.

If that could not be built, then I would opt for a 577NE Royal. (again a pair if I can dream) In (the suggested 15 pounds +1) 16 pounds.

Can I dream? Yes - all four then.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after shooting a double rifle........ANYONE.........they are so much fun and so far out of my reach Frowner

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
A match pair of "new" Holland and Holland in 8 bore regulated for black powder and conical lead bullets. No engraving, no gold.

If that could not be built, then I would opt for a 577NE Royal. (again a pair if I can dream) In (the suggested 15 pounds +1) 16 pounds.

Can I dream? Yes - all four then.

I suppose I could be tempted by a pair of Hollands, although I don't much like the idea that my double might smell of chanel.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
after shooting a double rifle........ANYONE.........they are so much fun and so far out of my reach

The poor mans double is a single. Classy guns and nostalgic. Perhaps even more fun. One careful shot. No regulation issues.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I think I am the luckiest fella on the planet, I have my dream double...

It is an original British Double in 450 No2.

It has 28" barrels, and fits me perfect. I have made some of the best shots on game with it.

I have taken deer, pigs, African plains game, giraffe, several cape buff, and several elephants.

It shoots 350 450, 480 and 500 gr bullets to the same place and same regulation.

I agree, you are one lucky guy. I have a Kodiak MKIV (Pedersoli) in .45/70 and a left handed Searcy Field Grade in .450 NE, so I have no cause for complaint.

I would like a .577 BPE by a quality maker (would anyone build one of these nowadays?)with a matching bullet mold. External hammers would be nice and a top lever would be preferred since I am left handed. I figure a .577 nitro would be too much for me, though I have never shot one.

Next would be a .375 Flanged or belted rimless hammerless WR droplock double, 26" bbls. That one with detachable scope mounts.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
H&H Model Royal in 375 Flanged to replace the one my grandfather owned that never made it down to me.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Searcy sidelock as shown on the website, chopper lump barrels, 450/400.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd been looking for the mythical sixteen bore rifle for three inch metallic case.

Was thinking of having the Boron shop make me something new but finally found a top lever hammer double rifle from Westley Richards that shoots well with huge powder charges.

Pretty much killed the interest in having a new one built to answer my dream-search.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the 5Pm corporate conference calls start, the 30-slide PowerPoint decks are unfurled, and my eyes get as glassy as the town drunk's, here is what I am dreaming about:

London best. Either Boss & Co. or persuade Purdey to employ Woodward livery. Case-colored action by the shop New_Guy uses for Heyms with gorgeous results. Regulated for 180-grain RWS in .30R Blaser. No sights, just scoped with a 1-10 power illuminated March. 26-inch or longer barrels. Sling swivels on top, not the bottom, of the gun. Maybe a 6.5X65R in matching style. Love Boss scroll but bulino scenes are good dream-sequence material, too.

There's a place for vintage. But not everyone is pulled as strongly by anachronistic arms evoking the high water mark of, in my case, someone else's empire. It is the same way I doubt many bolt-action aficionados are looking to Oberndorf circa-1898 for styling cues.

Great Question!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A duplicate of a Pair of Wesley Richards I saw & handled in 1976 -

They were side locks made in 1963 for the Maharajah of Cooch Behar & his Rani (queen).

The big bore was a 476 single trigger & the other one was a 280. I still dream of those rifles.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If I could find one, an original John Wilkes sidelock in .450-400/3-inch.

If I was having it built for me, a Holland and Holland Royal with three sets of barrels, all with claw-mounted scopes; .300 H&H Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum, .450-400/3-inch built on a light-weight frame.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pair of London Rigby Rising Bite Doubles.
1. .450-.400 3 1/4 regulated with the Hornady ammunition.

2. .500NE 3"

The pair cased; tastefully engraved, and with the best wood Rigby can find.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I am a bit of an odd duck, but I would love a Holland & Holland Round Action Sidelock in 12 gauge with paradox bores. Dangerous game hunting is grand, but I'd rather be able to take medium game, small game, and fowl any day. The versatility that the paradox gives is hard to beat unless you feel like toting around a drilling.

Options?
-Manual Safety
-Double Triggers
-Straight Grip
-24" barrels
-Light Acanthus Engraving
-French Grey Finish
-A nice, dark piece of Turkish walnut
-Leather-covered recoil pad

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
26 year old 36D's

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
26 year old 36D's

been there done that got the t shirt.

Also tried the F's and the G's thought dd's were too small.

I'd post pics but I'd get banned. Big Grin

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
The heck with the English stuff. How about a Krieghoff Gold Imperial in .500/.416. Perfect rifle in the perfect cartridge. Here's the link:

http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/in...icle&id=74&Itemid=96

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
26 year old 36D's

been there done that got the t shirt.

Also tried the F's and the G's thought dd's were too small.

I'd post pics but I'd get banned. Big Grin

I dare you.

John

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hoenig

One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Got this one covered....A Bradshaw in 375 Flanged and a nice set of 28ga barrels. I can't think of a finer firearm to own...I will own one in the next few years.

"I am the punishment of God. You must have committed great sins for God to have sent a punishment like me upon you"
Ghingus Khan

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
please post pics of these rifles... I don't get playboy for the articles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume we're talking about rifles Cool , but any rifle in .470 NE would make me happy.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote