THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Advise in selecting the correct caliber for dangerous game
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise in selecting the correct caliber for dangerous game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Highbrass

If you plan to shoot more than a couple of Elephants, as some here have, and plan to normally only shoot big and Dangerous Game than get a rifle that will help you out and keep you safer.

If you plan to hunt one Elephant and go with an armed PH, an armed Assistant PH and an armed Game Guard or two than the 400 is perfect. It is a much better 'all around' round than the bigger ones.

Either way, learn the correct way to shoot and don't pay attention to Internet heroes.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Personally if I was to concentrate my Safari time on Elephant there is no question, I would most certainly use a double in ether 450NE, 470NE or 500NE but as an all rounder the 400 is ideal for most of Africa's bushland.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gator, Any experience with the 450# 2: I saw the press release that Hornady will be manufacturing ammo, good brass etc. It also seems like it will fall in between the capable and the true stoppers. Delivering managable recoil while also remaining cost effective to shoot. Still have not given up on the 450/400 just that I already own a .375

quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Highbrass

If you plan to shoot more than a couple of Elephants, as some here have, and plan to normally only shoot big and Dangerous Game than get a rifle that will help you out and keep you safer.

If you plan to hunt one Elephant and go with an armed PH, an armed Assistant PH and an armed Game Guard or two than the 400 is perfect. It is a much better 'all around' round than the bigger ones.

Either way, learn the correct way to shoot and don't pay attention to Internet heroes.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Meant the 450 3 1/4

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Highbrass,

The 450NE 3 1/4" is THE original NE stopper and an excellent round.

Ballistics are squarely within the 450-470 class, as you would expect. The original was 2150-48ogr bullet-28" barrels. This is 25fps slower than the No.2 The 470's 500 is supposed to make 2125, but with 31" barrels.

The 450NE built on the 450/400 frame - same basic case, same head diameter, at 9 1/2 or 3/4lbs might wake you up when you pull the trigger but it sure would be a nice trim light rifle to hmp all day!!!

Attractive enough that I PM's Butch to see if he will be building them.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote for the best 'all round' cartridge for a double for African use is the .500/416. Enough velocity to be ideal for Cats, A nicely balanced round for buff and far greater penetration than the .470 or .500 NE on elephant. A .500NE might make a better PH's 'stopping rifle' but for a client- the extra penetration of the .416 is a real asset.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try flat nose solids like GS Custom or my Favorite North Fork and find all of the penetration you could want.

.458" 450gr North Forks at 2190fps out penetrate .458" 500gr Woodleighs at 2135fps by about 40% in elephant heads in my experiements.

And they out penetrate .474" 500gr Woodleighs at 2250fps by good margins too, though we didn't shoot enough of the .474" 500gr Woodleighs to come up with a consensus.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Finally placed the order with Butch last night and sent over my measurements. In the end I choose the 450 3 1/4 and the rifle will come in around 10lbs. With Hornady manufacturing the cartridge I am hoping for a good supply of high quality brass and there several top quality bullet manufacturers to work up different loads. The hardest part now will be the wait! Thanks for all of the great information and help throughout the process. I believe in the end that I have a very strong medium bore in the .375 and truly wanted a big bore which is reflected in the 450 3 1/4 over the 450/400.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I high five your choice. It's good to see a discussion like this one with all of the imput from the other guys help you take the leap.
In this discussion as a whole, the proverb rings true, "There is wisdom in the mouths of many counselors"

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I hope you ordered 26" barrels?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Highbrass:
Finally placed the order with Butch last night and sent over my measurements. In the end I choose the 450 3 1/4 and the rifle will come in around 10lbs. With Hornady manufacturing the cartridge I am hoping for a good supply of high quality brass and there several top quality bullet manufacturers to work up different loads. The hardest part now will be the wait! Thanks for all of the great information and help throughout the process. I believe in the end that I have a very strong medium bore in the .375 and truly wanted a big bore which is reflected in the 450 3 1/4 over the 450/400.

Highbrass,

Congrats! Great choice. You won't be disapointed. 10lbs is a great weight for a 450NE 3 1/4".

Your double and a 375H&H will make an excellent combination. My second rifle has been a 375H&H and it has been a great combo.

Rusty and I don't agree on much, but I'll second his opinion on the 26" barrels, though you will be well served with 24" barrels as well. I just find that 26" barrels carry easier when the rifle is over your shoulder.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
Highbrass

The 450 3 1/4" is a great choice.

There are many excellent bullets in .458 diameter.

I use the 350gr Hornady in my 450 No2 for deer and pigs. It regulates very good and hits to the sights.

I also agree on the 26" bbls.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
The advise is well received on the 26" barrells I will check with Butch and see what he has planned for the balance of the DR. I will look forward to some help working up loads after it arrives.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
quote:
The advise is well received on the 26" barrells I will check with Butch and see what he has planned for the balance of the DR. I will look forward to some help working up loads after it arrives.

Highbrass,
I ordered a 450 NE with 26 in brls, trap grip and nigt sight over a year ago and Buth contacted me last week informing me that it was finished. jumping

Sounds like we ordered the same thing.

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Right on the money, I am excited that Hornady will be a supplier for new Brass. You will have to send me a picture as I have a year to wait. What part of Argentina are you in? I get over there hunting every couple of years.

quote:
Originally posted by JohnAir:
quote:

Highbrass,
I ordered a 450 NE with 26 in brls, trap grip and nigt sight over a year ago and Buth contacted me last week informing me that it was finished. jumping

Sounds like we ordered the same thing.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
I was also happy to hear that Hornady will have ammo for the 450 NE. I never expected it when I ordered. I'll send the pictures as soon as I have them, maybe even post them here.
I live in Cordoba, look me up when you're down this way and we'll drink some Scotch and talk about double rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope the new rifle serves you well for decades, and then serves your descendants

for centuries! It will carry light at 10 pounds, at the same time it will shoot with

a detectable amount of extra recoil. Please, all SEARCY rifle buyers, keep us up to

date on how your rifles turn out and how they serve you as time passes. We want them

to be every thing we dream of in an affordable and AMERICAN MADE new DR.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan, I normally end up in Santa Fe but have considered a trip over to Cordoba.. If you make it to the east coast of the states we have Scotch here as well

quote:
Originally posted by JohnAir:
I was also happy to hear that Hornady will have ammo for the 450 NE. I never expected it when I ordered. I'll send the pictures as soon as I have them, maybe even post them here.
I live in Cordoba, look me up when you're down this way and we'll drink some Scotch and talk about double rifles.

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Highbrass

Congratiulations on your decision. You will be very happy with the 450. 10 pounds is not too light for the rifle and it will carry easy.

thumb

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great choice. I am sure you will be well served ny this rifle.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up my Searcy PH on November 2nd in 450 3 1/4. It came in at 9 1/2 lbs. and is very accurate along with being very pretty. I ordered the gun prior to knowing anyone was going to load the cartridge buying all the components long before the gun arrived. The beauty of it all is that Butch has it all regulated for the bullets I wanted, so no having to work up full or reduced loads. And his guns are accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To expound a little on the selection of the 450, I read everything I could about doubles in nitro express. The 450 did everything a 470 does with less powder and weight. From what I have seen you end up carrying the rifle in extreme heat for many miles. I also liked the straight case for its ease in reloading. I don't think any animal I shoot will know the differnce between my round and a 470, 500 475 etc. At least I think dead is dead and they say the 450 would kill anything that walks with ease. Nostalgia also plays a role.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driftwood,

I'd appreciate any remarks about the recoil at 9 1/2lbs. Pictures wouldn't hurt.
thanks

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the recoil to be very managable. Didn't seem to kick any more than my 416. It kinda of pushed but you need to have a good hold. Its not a cartridge that I'd shoot off the bench or shoot 15 or 20 rounds. Could probably with my magnum recoil shield from past as I can shoot the 416 with it 15 to 20 rounds. As is always the case I was a little apprehensive the fist round but as usual didn't have a problem. 1st shot just barely to the right of the bull at 50 yards. Plan on shooting it with light loads quite a bit 35 grains of accurate 5744 federal mag primer and no filler. Searcy said and manufacturer states fillers are not needed with this powder even in large cases.

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Driftwood! Thanks for the information on your Searcy, Can't wait to receive mine.