THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilised Bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilised Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
The 470 500 Grain Hydrostatically Stabilised Bullets should be at my door before the weekend.

To any of the guys that tested them, where should the starting loads be in relation to my current Woodleigh loads?

Should the overall length be the same as the traditional Woodleighs?

Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just how good could they be, as the Aussies don't know how to spell Stabilize?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I'll ask Geoff and PM you as someone else loaded up mine.

Re PM from yesterday, I missed it so will answer it today.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Same load you would use for a Woodleigh RN SN can be used with the Hydro's.

Anytime I change components I drop the powder charge by 10% but will leave that up to you.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Thanks, start low and work up with a chronograph.

I feel like a kid waiting on a new toy. That is the coolest looking bullet. It will certainly be a conversation piece at the deer camp this winter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer hunting with a 470 LOL Big Grin

Bit like me shooting foxes and roos with a 505 Gibbs !!!!

"start low and work up with a chronograph"
That's what I do with a major change in components.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess buying these bullets are cheaper than buying faster twist barrels for your doubles eh' Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I guess buying these bullets are cheaper than buying faster twist barrels for your doubles eh' Big Grin

Anything is cheaper, I want(ed) a 20 gauge set for me K-Gun as it would be nice not to carry a shotgun to Africa, $4200.00 USD. Just not worth it to me. It would be nice though.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Just a note, a second barrel set really confuses the genius's in Africa. They just can't comprehend it. I almost lost a set in Zambia.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what they are going to say when they see that weird looking Woodleigh bullet? Hope some genius does not think it is weapon of war.

Those darn barrels are expensive but would be so nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what they are going to say when they see that weird looking Woodleigh bullet? Hope some genius does not think it is weapon of war.

Mike,

They'll think it's the latest DU Penetrator bullet for Elephant hunting Big Grin

That would cause a stir if you said that in an airport !!! LOL

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
"Woodleigh has introduced lead-free Hydrostatically Stabilized Bullets* (Hydro-Solid) that has the power of an expanding bullet and penetration of a solid."

It's a friggin wonder bullet. Smiler

It's powerful, that's for sure!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just googled the images of the bullets and they look amazing. I bet you could seriously wax some arse with those bad mothers. I would be interested to read some of guys experiences with them, and not some GunRags paid print ad. I hope they are as good shooting as they are good looking.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I remember reading test reports on the Africa hunting forum about 4 or 5 months ago. The results on game were very impressive.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11232 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Now come on Mike..... I just started loading the Barnes banded solids and out comes yet another bullet.... Jeez, I just can't keep up. Eeker

I am thinking that in the last twenty years or so that the bullets we have available have become so good, especially the monometal bullets, that most game can be taken with much smaller calibers than were used in days gone by. For example, I think the 250 grain Barnes TSX has simple transformed the 9.3X62 into a fantastic "all around" rifle, every bit the equal of the vaunted .375. Just food for thought.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

I am thinking that in the last twenty years or so that the bullets we have available have become so good, especially the monometal bullets, that most game can be taken with much smaller calibers than were used in days gone by. For example, I think the 250 grain Barnes TSX has simple transformed the 9.3X62 into a fantastic "all around" rifle, every bit the equal of the vaunted .375. Just food for thought.

The 9.3 x 62 was always a good round and almost the equal of the 375, and in some ways was equal with a 320gn bullet at "NOT" Long range.

But your general thought line is correct.

Just took people in the US ages to realise metric calibers like the 9.3 were so good !!! LOL

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

The 9.3 x 62 was always a good round and almost the equal of the 375, and in some ways was equal with a 320gn bullet at "NOT" Long range.

But your general thought line is correct.

Just took people in the US ages to realise metric calibers like the 9.3 were so good !!! LOL

Oh, brother. Then just solder two 220 gr. 30-06 bullet together and ya got a friggin .458 WM.

Or two 500 gr. .458 Wm bullets, and ya got yourself a 700 NE. Yahoo!