THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Keep Up With The Jones-Most Expensive DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep Up With The Jones-Most Expensive DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For anyone who wants the designation of owning the most expensive DR on the AR forum, Jaqua's just posted a Purdy 600 NE on Guns International today. The price is listed as "On Request", but I'll bet it starts with at least a "2"!

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went and took a look. A stunning firearm that I do not want at any price.

Wonder why we almost never see a Hartmann & Weiss for sale?

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Biebs, nice looking gun. It has a funny safety though. It's so tiny your finger would probably slide right over it Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder why we almost never see a Hartmann & Weiss for sale?

My guess is most of the H&W double rifles are still in Europe.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could someone please post the item number of it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
$225,000.00

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N, item number is 100124676. Don, I'm sure if the safety was more to your liking, your check would be on the way at this very moment, right????

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Jon, I told them to box it up and send it to your house..........C.O.D. of course.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope they can make change!

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If I were a millionaire I wouldn't pay that much money for any rifle ever built!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't pay that much money for any rifle ever built!

Not that I am in the market....but I can think of several historically significant firearms that are worth this much and a whole lot more. Not at all sure that this one fits the bill.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I going to buy it but it doesn't have a recoil pad and a .600 is pretty stout. I think it needs this to make it look right and be comfortable to shoot:

Heck, on second thought, I'll pass. The $13.95 plus shipping for the slip-on pad is a bid more than I'm willing to go. It would have added a bit of class to the gun, though.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Waaaaaay too gawdy for me!

JW

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Id rather have one that has a history and have killed many heads of game than a safe queen. That gun screams nouveau riche even though it is made by Purdey.
I like scroll patterns ect over hunting scenes and animal portraits even though I see the skill in it.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had a big enough bank, I would buy it in a heart beat, after some negotiation of course. Cool

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I would have them etch the price I paid for it into that metal butt plate. Then every night after shooting it I'd see a bruise with the price tag on it to remind me how much I paid for this punishment.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I would have them etch the price I paid for it into that metal butt plate. Then every night after shooting it I'd see a bruise with the price tag on it to remind me how much I paid for this punishment.
rotflmo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

That is very good.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
yuck

Waaaaaay too gawdy for me!

JW

I dont believe you. moon Big Grin

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Nouveau Riche" says is all. Someone trying to "Buy" history and tradition with a big check. I'm sure the Purdy folks rolled their eyes when the Macho-Man ordered it with a steel buttplate, like he was too much a man to need a recoil pad on a 600 NE. Some people should not be allowed to have money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the deal, at least as I see it.

Yeah, this an an ego gun, nothing but. Nothing wrong with that, necessarily. However, spending six fgures on a DG is not, ipso facto, nuts.

An awful lot of well informed people believe that H&H bulds the best double rifles on the planet. Go to London (twice, most likely)to be fitted. Write several positively enormous checks, even if you go (as I would) with the round action, and no engraving.

If you can do it, spending a whole bunch of money on a firearm which which to hunt animals that can and will kill you is a pretty good idea, so long as you learn to use it.

Not my problem...I max out at .375 (and WAY less jack).

Good hunting.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Id rather have one that has a history and have killed many heads of game than a safe queen. That gun screams nouveau riche even though it is made by Purdey.
I like scroll patterns ect over hunting scenes and animal portraits even though I see the skill in it.

A big +1 to all the above!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing with this gun - the man who did the engraving, Ken Hunt.

You could get the same gun for less if Ken Kunt didn't do the engraving. I think engraving like that from him goes in the $50 to $75K range.

I could be wrong, but he is respected as being one of the best who studied under Henry Kell.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a fellow could afford that gun, he could afford to use it. Nothing wrong with that. Not my prefference for the engraving and fill, but at least the animals look like what they are supposed to represent, unlike so many of the older boxlocks with God know what, and those lame tigers, etc.

The worst aspect of that rifle is the cheekpiece, imo.

Really, collecting these rifles without the intent of using them is as pointless as it gets, but no less pointless than stamp or coin collecting.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
but at least the animals look like what they are supposed to represent, unlike so many of the older boxlocks with God know what, and those lame tigers, etc.

Totally agreed, but it's pretty hard to know what a tiger, rhino, or elephant looks like if all you ever did 100 years ago was sit at a work bench in London. Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were a millionaire I wouldn't pay that much money for any rifle ever built!

Mac, Wouldnt it look good in the pile of doubles on the pool table at 4K!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Id rather have one that has a history and have killed many heads of game than a safe queen.

An idle rich person has the power to purchase that .600ne and spend his excess idle time giving it some serious field history.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think you call the style "mobile home rococo".

The bas relief on the rifle reminds me of too big a set of plastic tits on a chick that looked good already.... Sometimes there is just too much of a good thing.

When I win the lottery, I'm just going to go to Purdy or H&H and order a best grade sidelock in .450 N.E. with some nice scroll engraving and I'll bet that the folks who make it will smile as they do.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Nouveau Riche" says is all. Someone trying to "Buy" history and tradition with a big check. I'm sure the Purdy folks rolled their eyes when the Macho-Man ordered it with a steel buttplate, like he was too much a man to need a recoil pad on a 600 NE. Some people should not be allowed to have money.

Not "Nouveau -rich" - gun is from an old established East Coast family. Was ordered by a friend of mine to be used as a trophy-room curio - thus the extra fitted csae and heel and toe plates.

And, these foks have $$ to burn, hence the rifle's "spare no expense" motif...Not for me either, but would be fun to break out the "good stuff" fire up a few stogies and show off to shooting buddies...I personally would take it to africa and shoot everything from Gresbok to Tuskers with it!! Needs to be proced at 150-160K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]I personally would take it to africa and shoot everything from Gresbok to Tuskers with it!! Needs to be proced at 150-160K

yankees

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like rifles that are practical, useful and good looking.

This one loses on all three counts, although I do admit that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
but at least the animals look like what they are supposed to represent, unlike so many of the older boxlocks with God know what, and those lame tigers, etc.

Totally agreed, but it's pretty hard to know what a tiger, rhino, or elephant looks like if all you ever did 100 years ago was sit at a work bench in London. Big Grin

Brett

So true!

But you'd have thought that the Birmingham makers would have sprung for a photo or two to share amoungst the (outsourced?) engravers.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not "Nouveau -rich" - gun is from an old established East Coast family. Was ordered by a friend of mine to be used as a trophy-room curio - thus the extra fitted csae and heel and toe plates.

And, these foks have $$ to burn, hence the rifle's "spare no expense" motif...Not for me either, but would be fun to break out the "good stuff" fire up a few stogies and show off to shooting buddies...I personally would take it to africa and shoot everything from Gresbok to Tuskers with it!! Needs to be proced at 150-160K

Do you know the reason why the family is selling such a masterpiece, given that it is obviously not money problems?

I can only presume, sadly, that the owner died.

I envy the lucky bastard who buys it. As I said before, if money was no object, it would be on its way, right now, to my abode, bugger waiting 3 years for Purdey to build another.

I would guess that the replacement cost is considerably further north than the asking price.

I was in the Purdey showrooms a couple of years ago and I think the starting price then, for a .600, was 115,000 pounds. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you call the style "mobile home rococo".

The bas relief on the rifle reminds me of too big a set of plastic tits on a chick that looked good already.... Sometimes there is just too much of a good thing.

When I win the lottery, I'm just going to go to Purdy or H&H and order a best grade sidelock in .450 N.E. with some nice scroll engraving and I'll bet that the folks who make it will smile as they do.

yuck

Judge, why you never started your own show like Judge Judy,Joe Brown etc is beyond me! All the others would pale in comparison and you would be wealthy enough to take us all to Africa as your personal camp staff! I could see your court with African decor and the bailiffs packing Doubles! Big Grin

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote