Find
Notify
Tools

Howdah Pistol?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell some information on the Howdah
pistol,what I would like to know the calibers and barrel length and if there any books on this pistol....

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Search Howdah pistol in the forum and you will find what you are looking for.
As for a book...
https://www.amazon.com/Howdah-...t-Maze/dp/1880677172

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Had the 20-gauge Pedersoli percussion Howdah. Lots of fun with a patched round ball!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I don't have an original, authentic Howdah but I also have a Pedersoli except mine is a double .58 with a detachable butt stock. Practical for going in the thick vegetation.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Omnivorous_Bob. He has an original that he graciously brought to the Alaska Double Rifle shoots I used to attend and allowed others to shoot it.
It is truly a piece of history and fun to boot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, what kind of performance and accuracy do you get from your short beast?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Check with Omnivorous_Bob. He has an original that he graciously brought to the Alaska Double Rifle shoots I used to attend and allowed others to shoot it.
It is truly a piece of history and fun to boot.

OB does and I've been trying to trade him my Mossberg 12 gauge pump for it for years. Next time, I will add 25$ to the deal.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I want to know if they would make good hunting Deer and Hogs in closed hunts?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/h...h/amp/?client=safari

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Will, I can't post pictures of mine right now, but I think there are a few in some of the old Alaska Double Rifle Shoot threads in this section.

I've never shot anything but targets with mine but did take it on a caribou hunt. The year before they were walking past at 3 feet. That year they never came within 400 yards, go figure.

Mine is a 7" barrelled 577 snider Wilkinson. With 70 grains of Goex FFg and a .592" 450 grain bullet it gets 710fps. A big hole and decent power, very reasonable recoil, but so-so accuracy with a bead front sight. The rear trigger on mine is also fairly heavy, probably for good reason.

If you make it to our next double rifle shoot in Anchorage next May you're welcome to try it out.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boomie, thanks for that link.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two thing..can I hunt Deer and Pigs?this is what I like to know? And the other thing is would a 45-70 caliber be to much for an Howdah? I hope someone will write a book on Howdah someday..

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two thing..can I hunt Deer and Pigs?this is what I like to know? And the other thing is would a 45-70 caliber be to much for an Howdah? I hope someone will write a book on Howdah someday..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here're are some pictures of mine, even with the illustrious Cal firing:

Personally I think a 45-70 wold be too much, but maybe find someone with a contender in that cal to try to see if it is for you?

Cheers,

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built this one for a customer last year.

More pictures and info here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...51091312&f=760101804
I believe it would work great on deer or hog at pistol distances. 437gr round ball at 1000+fps(depends on charge) works on most North American game. The problem with muzzleloading pistol like this is state regulations, minimum barrel length, one or two barrels(some states don't allow two in muzzleloaders) and so on.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
THAT is the definition of "Bad ass!"
I missed this build. When I get a spare 10k I want a pair of 2 bore muzzle loader pistols. Unless it costs less than that.

quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
I built this one for a customer last year.

More pictures and info here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...51091312&f=760101804
I believe it would work great on deer or hog at pistol distances. 437gr round ball at 1000+fps(depends on charge) works on most North American game. The problem with muzzleloading pistol like this is state regulations, minimum barrel length, one or two barrels(some states don't allow two in muzzleloaders) and so on.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think most folks today have a misconception about the purpose and proper use of a Howdah pistol!

The Howdah pistol was designed to be fired like a sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip stock being held with both hands. The trigger hand on the pistol grip, and the barrels held in the other hand. Held that way one can control some fairly large cartridges with no problem at all.

The Howdah Pistols were placed in a scabbard on the inside wall of the Howdah,(Howdah being the passenger box on the elephants back) hence the name HOWDAH PISTOL.
The pistol is loaded and cocked, placed in that scabbard, sometimes one on each side of the Howdah and are there to stop a tiger coming over the elephants head into the howdah with the hunters. The distance to the target is rarely over six or seven feet and one doesn’t have time to cock the hammers. That is the reason the hammers are cocked when placed in the scabbard , and the range being so short many of the Howdah pistols do not even have sights other than a bead on the muzzle end of the pistol like a shotgun.
Holding a big bore Howdah pistol like a regular handgun is a recipe for damaged or at worst broken fingers.
.................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Will, I have a good friend who has about a dozen true Howdah's in various calibers and he shoots all of them!! PM me and I can put you in touch with him when he is in town...

As stated by others, range is the question, these are relatively short barreled doubles....

He is working on a book on Howdah Pistols with a Canadian colleague as well.

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote