New
Find
Notify
Tools

USA Doublerifle Sales?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would anybody have a clue what the market is for double rifles in the USA yearly? A friend said no more than 50, I say much more.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I recall in a conversation with Butch Searcy about six months ago that at that time he had about 45 DRs on order.

I think the market for DR is much bigger than just 50/year.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for 577nitro

i don't know how to send a private message
could you give me an email address i can contact you at pls. mine is cabletools@alltel.net

the kids are going to be on the computer so i may not get back to you till 10:30 or so eastern tim. thanks,tomo577

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Take in account all the Merkles and Searcys.Then all the others FAMARS, Ferlach makers,and German makers, the the select few H&H's and Purdy's and WR made. My W.A.G. would be about 150 guns a year.

sofa I speculate, and budget for a living I love making W.A.G's.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our conversation revolved around doubles that are new to the USA, either built here or imported. We are not talking about rifles sold between ourselves. I think that your answers so far reflect this.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
ply

No, I think there are about 150 new (I might be a bit heavy) but I know Searcy makes about 30or so a year and say merkle sends about the same. There are more Fine Guns sold than you think. I have a friend here in San Antonio that imported 2 a FAMARS and a J.Just last year. Just go to the Firearms show in Vegas. It will suprise you on what goes on.

505ED

DRSS Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned them,but I suspect Chapuis easily sells as many as the others, if for no other reason their excellent price on their 9.3x74. Also, don't forget the various European smallbore O/U doubles which creep in. Given all these different sources, I would certainly think the new market is much more than 150 rifles/yr.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
tomo577:

I sent you an email.

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I also think much more then 150 if you include everything that is a "double rifle" like the Tikka 9,3.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hate to guess, but 50 is far too low for new guns. Still, I know how many new DRs a particularly well known maker sold in the US in 2005 and it would shock you. Most would guess that they sold 10 times that many.

The real market here is much greater. If the new "affordable" guns were better designed, sales would go up fast. Unfortunately, new double rifles with decent geometry and acceptable build quality can't be had for less than $40,000. The number of used pre-war double rifles imported every year is greater, and most of these are bought by new users in preference to a new gun because they offer better utility and much better quality for the money.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if butch makes about 50, and you are conservative and say
200 - pedersoli
100 - heym
100 - krieghoff
300 merkel

I would guess, on the sub 20k guns, between 1000 and 2000 per year, in doubles

stir
and if remington ever gets them in, I'll have a 45/70 nitro

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe:

Speaking of new rifles sold in the US, the figure for one of the makers you listed is high by a factor of 20.
--------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Some research with the ATF can provide you with the answer or very close and by mfg. as well. ATF has some very detailed data on sales of small arms, but how freely it is given out is another issue.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
The real market here is much greater. If the new "affordable" guns were better designed, sales would go up fast. Unfortunately, new double rifles with decent geometry and acceptable build quality can't be had for less than $40,000....and most of these are bought by new users in preference to a new gun because they offer better utility and much better quality for the money.
------------------------------------------------

I have got to find that photo of you shooting the Scoped Chapuis that can be bought for less than $4000 new. Frank can you help me out.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to a couple guys that are close to the double rifle importing and they said they would bet on a little over 300 new guns per year over the $10,000 price.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the ATF manufacturer and export numbers (www.atf.gov/firearms/stats) but there is no real info on doubles here. A manufactured gun is one that is either constructed here or placed in commerce, which would cover the imports. Note that building a rifle from an action does not constitute construction. Unfortunately, it is apparently not a requirement to file a report, since they state that for 2004, the last year listed, 26% of the manufacturers didn't. There are however some interesting numbers there.

Total rifles 1325138
Total shotguns 731769

Rogue River/Rigby
20 rifles
2 shotguns

Rifles

Lazzeroni 20
Cooper 2805
Kimber 9993
Dakota Arms 434
Jarrett 175
JJ Perodeau 1
Darcy Echols 4
Briley 23
Melvin Forbes (ULA) 97
Montana Rifle 1333
Savage 109984
USRA 109182
Ruger 248884
Marlin 228092
Remington 273742

Shotguns

Dakota Arms 67
Ruger 7405
Beretta USA 7553
Connecticutt Shotgun 119
H&R 116346
Mossburg 208313
Remington 319072

A couple of things come to mind when looking at these numbers, such as how companies like Rigby stay in business, if these numbers haven't come up significantly. Lazzaroni must be making a lot from ammo and accessories. I also can't believe the Beretta shotgun number. According to these numbers, the total of all their O/U shotguns and automatics just about equals the sales of the Ruger Red Label.

It's to bad that everyone isn't required to report, there would be a lot more useful info. I tried the website for the import division, but they just cover import requirements, not data.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
On rigby

20 rifles X 28,500 min = 570,000

2 shotguns X 15,000 min = 30,000

Total $600,000 gross

22 merkle actions ??? I'm not saying it is proftiable, but I can see how he stays in business.

505ED

He makes a good gun accurate gun just not my cup of tea.

DRSS Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice, for my beans, I'd take that 1 JJ Perodeau or the 4 Darcy Echols rifles over the 109,182 Winingtons or 273,742 Remchesters, hands down.

My 2 cents.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Should have visited the Vintager's shoot in Millbrook New York...Lots of doubles for sale and saw lots of guys shooting theirs also...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
Breaking Balls I see!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote