Find
Notify
Tools

Trailboss and 600
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
FINALLY had some time to try out a few shots with Trailboss.

Took a ride upstate with my pop

Shot a few 900gr at 2,000 then 6 (2 each) with trailboss under 900gr Kodiaks, 900gr CEB #13 and a couple NonCons.

Hysterical!!!

No recoil at all!

Because we wanted to put a few rounds through each of our hunting rifles (257, 260, 30-06, 300, 35, 450) and my 375Fl really didn't do the usual photo shoot or chronograph anything but it was great.

Interesting results with TB. The big holes in the bull are full-power loads. Those higher shots are the Trailboss loaded rounds. Also, the CEBs make nice round hole punches.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Good to see you posting again. Nice to see you and your Pop out and about. Wish my Dad could join me some time as well but he's had to give up shooting. Gave up his beloved golf 3 months ago as well. Sad to see him finally slowing significantly at 90 years young!

Anyway, I know I've asked this before but please indulge me once again if you will. What does your 600NE weigh now with the new lighter barrel set and splinter fore-end?

I've all of a sudden gotten an urge for an 11 pound 577NE. Would like to compare to your rifle's weight in the new configuration.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,
Miss being here. I lurk a lot but it's been busy beyond description so not posting much.

It weighs just under 13 pounds and balances exactly at the hinge point.

I plan to take the lead out of the stock and will re weigh it then. It will be muzzle heavy but I've actually found I prefer that.

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your dad.
I've never been hunting without mine. Don't know what I'll do when that day comes so I'm trying to convince him to go once more to Africa with me and to take my daughter along.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Say Doc, did you get a new 600? Anyhow, glad to see you got out with your dad. Mine's still around at a sprightly 92!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Jorge!

Nope, same one I took the elephant and in the pictures below.
Just had V-C make me a set of lighter barrels with new splinter forend. There's a thread with some pictures somewhere in here.

Weight without lead = 11.76 pounds.

I did regularly shoot my 600 Overkill which was 12 pounds so I'm deciding what to do next.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Doc, Thanks for the report!
Great "Selfie" of you and your dad!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Doc, Thanks for the report!
Great "Selfie" of you and your dad!

Thanks Rusty.

Just trying to be like all the other kids!

Here's the thread with pictures of it

V-C 600NE

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Doc tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Good stuff Doc tu2

Thanks Don.

It won't be hard to convince him to join me in a drive down to you - if you'll have us.
He retired last summer after 57 years a longshoreman and I hafta keep him out of my mother's hair otherwise their marriage won't see a 55th year!

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
C'mon, C'mon my friend. You and Pops can shoot some bambi's on my place. Afterwards we'll dine and Pops can chat with my soon to be 92 year old Dad who lives with me. He's still sharp as a tack mentally, thank God! beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, Dad looks great!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
C'mon, C'mon my friend. You and Pops can shoot some bambi's on my place. Afterwards we'll dine and Pops can chat with my soon to be 92 year old Dad who lives with me. He's still sharp as a tack mentally, thank God! beer

I'm sure they'd share a lot of great stories. beer

I just have to have things slow down a bit for me to be able to swing by.

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul, Dad looks great!

He's doing pretty good but getting more than a little stir crazy.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Doc, thanks for that. I'll be interested in your report of shooting it without the weights. I actually liked my 577NE a bit on the muzzle heavy side as well. Seems that it helped keep recoil tamed. Let me know how she performs in that configuration.

Great to hear you guys with your Dads going strong at 92. My Dad at 90 is still mentally as sharp as can be as well. He's just starting to show his age physically now. Funny, but about 3 years ago, at 87, he called one day complaining about his back. I asked what was wrong. He said he hurt it swinging a 15 pound sledge hammer trying to remove a piece of root that got stuck in his brushhog mower. I told him to "knock that crap off ... you're not 80 anymore for crying out loud"! He got a chuckle out of that!

beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Shot of you with your pop, you can see the love/ enjoyment in your eyes. Funny this post came up Im taking my dad to the range tomorrow... His first time shooting a big bore. and a double to boot. I have some light loads and full house ready to go I think it is going to be fun.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
Great Shot of you with your pop, you can see the love/ enjoyment in your eyes. Funny this post came up Im taking my dad to the range tomorrow... His first time shooting a big bore. and a double to boot. I have some light loads and full house ready to go I think it is going to be fun.

The best part of this stuff is sharing the experiences.

Have fun!