THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A quick trip Upstate for some target shooting ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A quick trip Upstate for some target shooting ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Well gentlemen, I am pretty satisfied. I just put 24 rounds through the 600 in 3/4 of an hour. no, not a race but I had limited free time and a long drive each way. Oh and I re-learned to bring a shooting glove for my left hand. Burned my damn finger tips. Again.

39 degrees up there.

145 grains of Accurate 4350 under a 900grain CEB solid. 2,010fps in a previous outing in another 600, didn't clock it this time.

Here's the target down range:

Below is my first target.
The lower shot group was with a 6 o'clock hold and the more centered bunch with an "On" hold using the fine "day" brass bead. Q1 and Q2 were a "throw it to my shoulder and point-shoot a quick R-L from 25 yards as fast as I could. Those labeled "L" and " R" are from sticks at 50 yards.

This next target is again bottom group 6 o'clock hold and higher one with an "on" hold. These were off hand at 50 yards. I know, not too impressive but I was pretty rushed.

A couple of glamor shots as the sun was dipping

Looking forward to working up some good, accurate loads and having the time to practice with them.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3462 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a really fun afternoon. I feel like I should take a few motrin for you after thinking about 3480gr of powder and 21600gr of lead heading down range!

Posts: 1430 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Damn good idea - going to do that right now.

Posts: 3462 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 600 has got to be a fun way to clear the trees! Wink

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
That 600 has got to be a fun way to clear the trees! Wink

Definitely! tu2

Even though it's on the small side for such efforts:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly looks like minute of Buffalo to me....

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bsflag
It is impossible for such a difference in POI when using the whole bead to aim compared to just the top of it at only 25yds.There is no logic of using two different holds.I call BS!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I love the tree picture! Good sense of humor!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Congrats! I love the tree picture! Good sense of humor!

Thanks Rusty.
This stuff is supposed to be fun. Sometimes we take ourselves far too seriously.
Stay well

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Doc and as always, beautiful VC rifles! Looks like your 600NE has a splinter fore-end as does my new 500NE. Is that new as well along with your new barrels? I've held that gun before and don't remember it having the splinter. Then again, I was pretty awe inspired with the weapon in the first place at the time! Also, did the new barrels achieve the weight you were looking for?

I'm in agreement with you and Sam in that doubles tend to be built on the heavy side and reducing the weight, assuming good stock fit, really is the way to go. My 577NE was 14lbs. Taking out the weights reduced it to 12.5 lbs and I really didn't notice an increase in recoil as the fit is much more important, to a point of course. I think VC is getting the hang of building them lighter now as my 500NE is 10.25 lbs and very pleasant to shoot. Absolutely NO need for a 500NE to be 11 lbs if the stock fits correctly. So what does the 600NE weigh now?

PS: Pay no attention to idiots. But you did call that one!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd.

Yes, since I would need a new fore-end when I had the set of lighter barrels made, I asked them to make it a splinter. tu2

Thus, my crispy finger tips! hilbily

Weights 13 pounds and balances precisely at the hinge-pin. Might take whatever weight out of the stock and see how that feels next.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Doc, you and I must have very close to the same measurements as your 577 and 600 both fit me perfectly. Much better than my 577 did as it was "off the shelf" and not bespoke. I'm betting that at 13 lbs, that 600NE is just about right!! And the splinter really looks good.

Now, you and your Pop need to make another trip!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Doc, you and I must have very close to the same measurements as your 577 and 600 both fit me perfectly. Much better than my 577 did as it was "off the shelf" and not bespoke. I'm betting that at 13 lbs, that 600NE is just about right!! And the splinter really looks good.

Now, you and your Pop need to make another trip!

Aside from being about a foot shorter than you we could be twins ... rotflmo

Working on pop, my friend. He is now on a cruise with my mother through the Panama Canal. I tried to convince him to bring the 375Fl and snipe game from the uppermost deck, but he said that would be too easy and the only danger he would face would be the wrath of a 4'9" Sicilian woman.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dangerous game comes in many guises! Cool

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Doc and send your shoulder my condolences after that session! Smiler

Shootway, Do you have any progeny? Please tell me you don't

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Doc:
Great rifle. No one needs a .600 and I gather that from some of the posts over the years. With that mindset, let's all drive a Yugo.
I hope so share an African campfire with you someday and trade shots with or respective .600s. Next time you are in AK, do stop by.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. We must not forget how blessed we are to have someone like Shootaway here to point out our errors and flaws.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
That .600 looks nice! What was I saying about the .500 again? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Doc:
Great rifle. No one needs a .600 and I gather that from some of the posts over the years. With that mindset, let's all drive a Yugo.
I hope so share an African campfire with you someday and trade shots with or respective .600s. Next time you are in AK, do stop by.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. We must not forget how blessed we are to have someone like Shootaway here to point out our errors and flaws.

Cal,

As alway you are 100% spot on in everything you've just written.

It would be my pleasure to share a camp anywhere with you, my friend.

Heal up and take care

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus Brutus:
That .600 looks nice! What was I saying about the .500 again? Big Grin

You'll soon find out how easy they are to handle. Two weeks, right?

Stay well

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Just when I get a .500 everyone moves to .600

Some nice shooting there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9882 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like my .450 will now, and forever more, be looked upon as simply suitable as a nice "purse gun", obviously I now need to step up and go for a much more manly rifle in 600. THANKS!
P.S. I do have a nice yellow pine next to my backyard range that I am now going to blast till it falls over, should be fun.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Andrew, IMO you have the perfect caliber. No regrets are necessary. Don't look back! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:

Andrew, IMO you have the perfect caliber. No regrets are necessary. Don't look back! tu2

Fairgame,

DoubleDon has or had a double in virtually every caliber known to mankind. Can't argue with that kind of experience.

BTW, you do realize as soon as you get a 600 the rest of us will already have something bigger Wink
We try to keep one step ahead of you ... jumping

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Well it looks like my .450 will now, and forever more, be looked upon as simply suitable as a nice "purse gun", obviously I now need to step up and go for a much more manly rifle in 600. THANKS!
P.S. I do have a nice yellow pine next to my backyard range that I am now going to blast till it falls over, should be fun.

Felling trees is one of the most fun things to do with a boomer. tu2

THE most fun is felling elephant, buffalo and other DG, of course. beer

Yellow pine, huh ... Is that what that was? I'm from Brooklyn so a tree is a tree to me. Frankly, if I had the 600 at the right time, that book would never have been written ... hilbily

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:

Fairgame,

DoubleDon has or had a double in virtually every caliber known to mankind. Can't argue with that kind of experience.

BTW, you do realize as soon as you get a 600 the rest of us will already have something bigger Wink
We try to keep one step ahead of you ... jumping

I might consider offering a AR Double Group Hunt
and offer a variety of Kafue species which would be a blast. Excuse the pun

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9882 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc
Some nice shooting there with the big gun. Please tell
us more on your second set of light weight 600 barrels.
VC are in the early stages of the build for my 600 and I'm
keen to find out the specs on your new set of tubes. Are
They still 26 inches, are they a slimmer profile etc.

Thanks

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Wow, 24 shots in 45 mins; ouch!
And the .500 NE brass looks tiny compared to the .600 NE!
Maybe I'll go half-way: .577 NE Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm from Brooklyn so a tree is a tree to me

But Doc, a TREE (does) GROW IN BROOKLYN! there's an ENTIRE BOOK dedicated to it!!! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, you pass the range on my property when you're only 10% of your way to upstate NY :-)

Posts: 20119 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Doc
Some nice shooting there with the big gun. Please tell
us more on your second set of light weight 600 barrels.
VC are in the early stages of the build for my 600 and I'm
keen to find out the specs on your new set of tubes. Are
They still 26 inches, are they a slimmer profile etc.

Thanks

Nick

Hey Nick,

Still 26" but slimmer profile.
When Ken returns from Africa I'm sure he can give you more details.
Thanks and stay well

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
I'm from Brooklyn so a tree is a tree to me

But Doc, a TREE (does) GROW IN BROOKLYN! there's an ENTIRE BOOK dedicated to it!!! Smiler

That book would never have made it to press if I had the 600 back then Wink

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul, you pass the range on my property when you're only 10% of your way to upstate NY :-)

One of these days we'll "make a plan" as Karl says ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking rifle. I think that pile of brass looks like something found under a crew served weapon. Felling trees is great fun. Now you can work on stump removal…
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
i now own this rifle and have it up for sale to fund my trip to africa it is a sweet shooter

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hi Bwananelson,

You actually have my first 600 - a fine and beautiful double for certain, but not the same as the one above.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shootway, Do you have any progeny? Please tell me you don't

Jorge,

You should know better than to use a big word like "progeny" when addressing shootacow. It'll take him a week to look it up and then he'll need his medical staff to explain to him what the definition actually means.

He's too stupid to know that shifting your point of aim shifts your point of impact as well. hilbily

That being said,

Nice rifle CCM and it looks as though you are very competent with it as well. Nice shooting.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
CCM,

Nice shooting & nice rifle. I held Karl's 577 VC at SCI Vegas this year & can
only imagine what a 600 NE must be like Eeker

I recently sold my only "big" bore (500/465NE) & am now left with only a
450/400 NE Double, I'm feeling pretty inadequate after looking at the damage
a 600 can do!

Well done & good shooting, do you have any elephant hunts in the future?

Jim

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Bwananelson,

You actually have my first 600 - a fine and beautiful double for certain, but not the same as the one above.

I was wondering WTF?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Hi Bwananelson,

I was wondering WTF?

I still have much hunting to do with this Verney-Carron 600NE - hopefully along side some of my AR compadres. beer

In fact I have 40 rounds loaded up with Trail Boss (20 with 900gr Kodiak softs and 20 with 900gr CEB #13) so that my daughter and nephews can have some fun. We've just been hammered so hard and often with snow I just haven't taken a chance driving upstate to try them out.

Is it true that some can scrub the rifling out of a double with JB in less time than it takes a bullet to reach its target when loaded over TB?

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hi Doc, good to see you posting again. I asked Ken today how you were doing. As before, I look forward to you hopefully coming down (below the Mason Dixon Line Big Grin ) for a visit. Stay well friend!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote