Find
Notify
Tools

No wise cracks.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
I am trying to shoot a very very large resident Mamba that resides in a thicket here where I am working.

I have my .500NE with me and was wondering if I pulled the bullets out of the cartridge, poured some powder out and filled shells with some lead split shot from my fishing box. Then plug the end with wadding and wax could I convert my double to a shot gun?

The confrontation maybe at close range and I doubt that I can hit a dancing and angry serpent with a bullet.

And besides what if I miss?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I am trying to shoot a very very large resident Mamba that resides in a thicket here where I am working.

I have my .500NE with me and was wondering if I pulled the bullets out of the cartridge, poured some powder out and filled shells with some lead split shot from my fishing box. Then plug the end with wadding and wax could I convert my double to a shot gun?

The confrontation maybe at close range and I doubt that I can hit a dancing and angry serpent with a bullet.

I recomend bringing a shotgun and leave the 500 for the big stuff!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I do not access to any other weapon where I am working.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Make sure to put a wad between the powder and the shot, a 1/4 inch piece of cardboard like tha piece from a box will do, put another thin cardboard wad like a piece from the back of a pad of paper over the shot and then use the wax to seal the overshot wad in. Use about 3/4 ounce of shot.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That will work but it will lead barrel pretty fast.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I will only use it once. Someone reckons I should fill the cartridge with rice or coarse salt? How much powder (%) would I need to remove? If any?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Wise Cracks.

Others have said it, place a card between the shot and the powder. We use foam backer rod for cases that have a large volume and it should work fine in this application. So, powder, short piece of backer rod foam or cardboard, shot, card material, wax.

I would not shoot this at a snake the first go. Shoot it at a piece of cardboard at the distance you estimate you will be encountering the snake. If you get a good pattern, repeat the loading and go kill it.

I hear they are fast and deadly. I want to hear that you killed it and not the other way around. Cool

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously there is no shot gun available...I have successfully made "shot shells" for a 458 Lott. All good advice above I was able to crimp the case around the over shot wad then used 2 part epoxy over that wad but wax will do.. As mentioned you may need several pieces cardboard over the powder the amount will be determined by how much space needs to be filled to bring the shot to within 1/4" or 7mm of the top of the case. Good luck let us know how it goes

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load 12guage blanks with fast burning pistol powder and rice....it was deadly on snakes to about 20 feet but it took a bit of experimentation to get it to boom instead of poof!

Good tite wads and a good crimp to build pressure....

I would think the powder would be too slow to get much pressure without some resistance....but that's just a wild guess....

Don't get bit! I want to hunt with you someday!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All of the advice about building a shot capsule here is correct I've done it. You can remove as much powder as you want I'd take out approximately 1/2 of the powder or so just make sure your bottom wad provides light compression on your powder charge so it will reliably ignite.

In a .44 mag with a shot capsule I use 8grs of powder instead of my normal 20 grs if that is any help.

I wouldn't try rice or salt with a snake as tough and dangerous as a momba you might just piss her off. If you had access to a shot shell with #8 or better #9 I'd scavenge that and use it, the more shot the better. Your range will be short like 10 to 20 feet. Shot fired out of a rifled barrel tends to spread out quickly and disperses badly at any kind of range.

I've killed a pile of rattle snakes with Number 9 shot and capsule out of a .44 mag pistol. Even on big snakes it is devastating. As my buddy in Texas says it puts a snake in park right now!

The other thing you can do is remove powder as necessary drop in a wad of cardboard fill with shot and then crimp the shell closed at the mouth to hold it in

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir;

I grew up in the rural Southern USA and have been around snakes most of my 71 years. I have also lived in Southern Africa and have seen all the black Mambas that I want to see. What you are contemplating IMO is fool hardy. You need a 12 bore shotgun with shot suitable for what you are wanting to kill. Those black Mambas are not the common garden variety rattlesnakes that we have here in USA. Compared to a rattlesnake they are lighting fast, more aggressive than you can believe and even will go out of their way to attack you.

On one occasion a black Mamba dropped from a tree after my wife and two children we had with us. I do not believe it was an accidental drop as the the snake missed by wife's head by inches. Black Mambas are known to to after the head of people in Africa.

I hope you are within 1/2 hours drive of a hospital that has anti-venom as that is all the time you will have with a Big black Mamba.

Regards;

Transvaal

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The thought of all this makes me cringe. Lead shot from your fishing box? Those are probably something like a quarter inch in diameter, right? You need a more dense shot pattern to make sure you actually hit the snake in the head, and a few big pellets will leave big holes in the pattern, especially since the shot column will be spinning. If you have to do this, use smaller shot so you will have a better pattern, and you will be close. Too close. Wow, you must have brass ones. What if you miss? Load more than one shot load, and have a paramedic with you with antivenin. Really, this is a marginal idea.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really, this is a marginal idea.

lol

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Note I have already hunted this snake with my .22 but chickened out as I felt I was severely disadvantaged.

I am keeping notes about the hunt and will post once I am successful.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I suppose that asking for a video of the hunt is too much? Wink How about the traditional trophy pictures?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
I suppose that asking for a video of the hunt is too much? Wink How about the traditional trophy pictures?

Trophy pictures but no video mate.

Indeed it makes for fine hunting and will post a report later.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

You most certainly can do so! I HATE SNAKES....... With a PASSION.. I am scared shitless of Snakes too! All of them!

A couple of years ago I wanted to have in my pocket a couple of "ShotShells" when out hunting, so I started to develop some loads doing that, and had tremendous success with getting it to work. There is one major downside, and that is HEAVY LEADING of the barrel, but normally that takes from 3-5 shotshells fired. Shooting one, will give some leading, but not enough to alter your main big bore load, or bullet. Several firings of shotshells will lead the barrel so heavy that it will alter your velocity by 200 fps, your POI at 50 yds by a few inches. So there is a downside.... And I never found any alternative that would produce the same results... Without the Leading, and I tried EVERYTHING there is to try.

But, you cannot use the same powder that you use with your normal big bore load. I used Unique, 15 grs, wad to hold powder, fill it with shot, cap it off. This with 500 MDM, and 650 grs of #8 Shot..... Not quite the capacity of a 500 NE... But, should be able to do the same thing with ease.

If you do get serious leading... Shoot a couple of standard loads... BULLETS... Cleans it out perfectly..

Here is a short thread from that time....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/1951051011/p/1

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:

You most certainly can do so! I HATE SNAKES....... With a PASSION.. I am scared shitless of Snakes too! All of them!

A couple of years ago I wanted to have in my pocket a couple of "ShotShells" when out hunting, so I started to develop some loads doing that, and had tremendous success with getting it to work. There is one major downside, and that is HEAVY LEADING of the barrel, but normally that takes from 3-5 shotshells fired. Shooting one, will give some leading, but not enough to alter your main big bore load, or bullet. Several firings of shotshells will lead the barrel so heavy that it will alter your velocity by 200 fps, your POI at 50 yds by a few inches. So there is a downside.... And I never found any alternative that would produce the same results... Without the Leading, and I tried EVERYTHING there is to try.

But, you cannot use the same powder that you use with your normal big bore load. I used Unique, 15 grs, wad to hold powder, fill it with shot, cap it off. This with 500 MDM, and 650 grs of #8 Shot..... Not quite the capacity of a 500 NE... But, should be able to do the same thing with ease.

If you do get serious leading... Shoot a couple of standard loads... BULLETS... Cleans it out perfectly..

Here is a short thread from that time....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/1951051011/p/1

Michael

Thanks for that and will let you know when I next enter the dragons den.

I will do some tests and post them here.

Presume I can just extract the bullets using a pair of pliers?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for that and will let you know when I next enter the dragons den.

I will do some tests and post them here.

Presume I can just extract the bullets using a pair of pliers?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - fairgame@iconnect.zm
Tel. (00260) 966 745747

More than welcome... I completely understand your situation, and concur with no compromise when it comes to crawly things with no legs.......

Yes, you can extract bullets with a pair of pliers.

Use a faster handgun powder such as Unique or similar........... Not much of it.. 15 grs.....

I did a rather extensive study on this back then....

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I have at my use a .22 and a .500 and cartridges to go with. And a pair of pliers.

It would be very interesting to convert the double to a shotgun for such use.

I am in limbo and working for a large agricultural project and the over sized Mamba is about the only thing keeping my attention at the moment.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
And by the way if anyone who has a 500 and is willing to do some testing them let me know. My cartridges are limited and at $25 a round here.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why don't you use the .22 and shoot it in the head, from a safe distance?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Yep! Me too. Snipe that nasty bastard from 50 yards!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

It is a thicket. A messy tangle of trees and grass.

But I hear you and will burn the grass when it is dry.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Anyway back in town for night and see what I can rustle up to help me out. But I am dead keen to convert the 500. to take shot and will be an interesting experiment.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also want a panga hanging from my wrist whilst I tried this.

Best of luck.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop me a pm and I will email you a chapter from " the complete reloading guide" on shot shells for rifles. It has a load for a 458 win mag. 500 gns of shot ( about 1oz) over 26gr of 2400 powder ( no powder mfr given). The best results were obtained when the shot was contained in a plastic tube that holds the shoot together and prevents the rifling from spin it apart too quickly.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is only one 2400; the classic Hercules. Now Alliant. Back to the snake; how about saturating the area with gas and burn it to death? I don't know anything about black mambas but I hate all snakes. Only good thing about living in Iowa is that they only have garter snakes. They say that there are rattlesnakes here but I have never seen one.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Be very careful. That mamba can move faster then you can and don't go alone.

Are you in an area where anti venom is available within a very short time?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I concur with the fire idea.

I would take a long pole say - 10 to 12 feet long and tie a bundle of rag - the size of grape fruit and soak some engine oil and petrol to make a smokey fire. Snakes DO NOT like that.

Or if you wanted to play cowboys and Indians, you shoot flaming arrows! rotflmo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael,

I have at my use a .22 and a .500 and cartridges to go with. And a pair of pliers.

It would be very interesting to convert the double to a shotgun for such use.

I am in limbo and working for a large agricultural project and the over sized Mamba is about the only thing keeping my attention at the moment.

Cheers

I have used some of these Big Bore Shotshells on those creepy crawly things..... Very effective, however it does have its downsides. Leading. One or two shotshells and everything is fine, not enough leading to make a difference, fire a full load before going after elephant or buffalo, and it will be clean as can be, ready to go.

I tried everything I could think of to Keep Effectiveness and to not lead the barrel. If I had a solution that would not lead the barrel... Then it was just not effective. I did tests in several of my cartridges. But I recorded data only on one cartridge that I can find. I did this in 2009. The most effective was to just simply put in the 15/Unique, cardboard wad over the powder, fill the case full of shot, then a cardboard wad over top of the shot to hold it in place. This would lead the barrel, but in all cases it was very effective out to 10 yards.. Effective as in killing what I needed to kill at 10 yards!!!!!! Long way! Most were Extremely Effective at 5 yards. Some were even effective out to 15 yards.....

After trying all the buffers I could think of, and get my hands on, I ended up right back at the beginning with just bare shot against the barrel and live with the leading. Making sure if I fired a few to shoot a few jacketed rounds down the bore to clean it out.

Here is some of the test work just to give you an idea......

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, bear in mind he doesn't have any real shotgun shot; he will be using fishing sinkers. As he said in one of his posts. Those large size shot will not give a dense pattern. Not like a #6 shot will. I would chop them up into the size of #6 shot and you will have to get very close. Don't worry about leading your bore; you will only get one chance at this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would want to pattern whatever 500NE "shot" load I was going to use, before going after the snake. I'm not scarred of most snakes, but mambas do scare me.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
It would probably help that slow powder from the .500 burn better, if you could dump maybe 3 shells worth of .22 powder in with the half load. And cutting the split shot in half will double the chances of a kill. Very scary idea---I like the idea of the 30 yd sniping with the .22 better, for safetys sake.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Drop me a pm and I will email you a chapter from " the complete reloading guide" on shot shells for rifles. It has a load for a 458 win mag. 500 gns of shot ( about 1oz) over 26gr of 2400 powder ( no powder mfr given). The best results were obtained when the shot was contained in a plastic tube that holds the shoot together and prevents the rifling from spin it apart too quickly.

Thanks for the reading. Bloody interesting stuff and if I can figure out what to sleeve the cartridge with then this sounds like the way to go.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Options on shot are rice, ball bearings from bicycles, fine gravel (coarse sand), varying sizes of lead split shot.

Personally are am inclined to go with the coarse sand and sieve the larger granules.

I have not got that many rounds to play with.

Obviously I wil have the .22 along and take the snake at a distance if that is possible.

I am busy this week and try again when I have burnt off some of the grass.

Thanks for the PM's and you chaps certainly know your stuff. As one chap put it - having a couple of shot cartridges in your possession can be the difference between a plump bird dinner or corned beef again.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use sand - do you really want to send an abrasive down your fine barrels and mess up the rifling. Your best bet would be to scrounge / steal / borrow or beg some shotgun shells and canabalise those.

As regards plastic tube, you might get away with using strips of old drinks bottles rolled up or similar - think on a shot cup in a modern shotgun cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very elegant solution would be to get some sleeves made up allowing you to shoot 410 cartridges. http://www.gaugemate.com/info/sub-gauge-adapters. But then on 2nd thought in Zambia 410 cartridges are probably harder to find than 500 NE cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:

I HATE SNAKES....... With a PASSION.. I am scared shitless of Snakes too! All of them!

Me too!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having shot probably hundreds of snakes with a rifle and caught those that were not in thickets I would recommend the .22 at a distance for mamba. Either you immobolise or not. They move extremely fast through bush and vines and can go for you. We only ever had one "docile" one that we caught and that was because we saved it from a severe injury - why? Never handled them but used special tongs. for big pythons we used shotgun. but if it comes for you would be nice to have a 12 gauge! If you know it's hole you can pour ammonia or petrol down it and seal it.