Find
Notify
Tools

No wise cracks.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread! If you could hold out until Nov I would pay for a PAC Mamba hunt! Good luck!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Interesting thread! If you could hold out until Nov I would pay for a PAC Mamba hunt! Good luck!

That is one Dangerous Game hunt that I will very gladly PASS ON....... No Thank You, not interested, not going, don't even want to be in the same Concession.. Don't want to see it or
even hear of it.........

I am getting so upset about this, I intend to take a few shotshells for my lever gun now!!!!

Vision:...... Me Running Like Hell, firing shells over my shoulder fast as I can, better not get in my way, and better not be behind me either............. shocker

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am trying to shoot a very very large resident Mamba that resides in a thicket here where I am working.

Set the thicket on fire.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
In this post is an interesting video of a cottonmouth eating a rattlesnake.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7021043/m/2171090981

There's a link after the video to another made by the same guy where a black mamba actually bites a dead lion and then even goes about trying to see if he can eat it.

Now that's an aggressive snake!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had my own encounter with a fat, four foot cottonmouth...it raised its head and tail and did the whole noise making deal from both ends...and you know what, the inside of that mouth really DOES look like cotton.

Anyways, here's a plan. Use black powder. The smoke will give you cover if you miss.

And don't just stand there til it clears. Move your feet. Run. And so forth.

..but really, I think it's time for Mr. Mamba to meet Mr. Bulldozer - a D-10 ought to be the right medicine...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the gas and oil mix and nuke the thicket it's in. Damn snakes give me the willies

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
In my absence my son Ryan is doing well at home and took this boomslang behind the head at six feet.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Call him in for his assistance since he's been doing it recently! Good shooting!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dead or not, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HOLD A SNAKE?????? That is one picture you will never see me in, holding a snake. barf

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew- get a proper smoothbore shotgun and shoot heavy shot.... 5's,4's so you have a tight pattern.
As I recall, any rifled barrel will spin the shot and there can be a hole in the middle of the pattern.
Using split shot, especially cut up, may not fly straight and the pattern may not be tight enough to hit the head....you don't want to miss!!
If you must use teh 500, use proper shot so it is tight and straight...test it out-on paper first!!
Good luck!!
This gives me the Willies too....clear over in the US!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I have a .500 and a .22 at my disposal. In Zambia reloading is illegal and subsequently we do not have access to powders etc.

I cannot transfer a shotgun onto my rifle permit and have to do with what I have.

If someone has a .500 and is willing to test then I would appreciate it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Can you get ahold of a few shotgun shells to cut open for the shot? That would be better than the splitshot.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
So-
What's the progress update

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Have not been back. From there I went the other side of the country to sort out this man eater and back at home fixing broken cars and stuff. Getting ready for the safari season.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention my first kill with my double was the troublesome Lion.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Forgot to mention my first kill with my double was the troublesome Lion.

Proper blooding that......

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to catch copperheads and cottonmouths all the time around my grandfather's ponds and chicken snakes in his barn. We would make square baskets from chicken wire with a cone shaped entrance hole just big enough for the targeted snakes body size. When you snip the ends of the cone make sure to leave very pointed long ends facing into the trap. The cone needs to be about 6 inches long and centered in the side. If you have ever seen a minnow trap then you know where we got the idea.

When the snakes would enter the trap they couldn't get out. Either they couldn't find the exit hole or would pierce their bodies on the sharp points trying to crawl out. We used pieces of fish for bait around the ponds and mice in the barn.

I don't know why but we always liked playing with snakes. I grabbed a cottonmouth out of some reeds around the pond once. I thought it was a harmless water snake and my friends tried telling me it was a baby viper. Sure enough we pried it's mouth open and the fangs popped down. Nothing like being a teenager and thinking you are immortal.

Anyway back to the trap...not sure what a mamba would be attracted to. Might try tying a live mouse inside or create a smaller cage for a mouse to place inside the trap. Live bait would probably work better.
There is no way I would risk damaging a fine double rifle trying to kill a snake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought of another way you might trap this snake if you know where it's hole is. They sell snake traps that are large pieces of cardboard with a very aggressive glue on them. When a snake crawls over this glue it gets stuck. They will try to use their body to push away from the glue and become even more trapped.

Unfortunately this type of trap will catch any small animal that comes into contact with it. It is strong enough to hold something the size of a rabbit.