THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .470 NE reloading ... accidental finding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 NE reloading ... accidental finding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

All new .470 NE brass I've ever gotten in bulk has always had banged up case mouths. Often banged up enough to cause problems in the neck expanding step.

Had been using a rod to straighten out the case necks so the die doesn't tear them up. Way too expensive to lose them to that.

Did some new brass this afternoon ... and could not quickly find the rod I use but did happen to see a piece of 30-06 brass on the bench. Looked like I could use it for the purpose.

Darned if it isn't the perfect diameter with a perfect taper to do a quick and easy straighening of the case neck and mouth on .470 NE brass!!!

Really cheap and easy tool.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Are you sticking the 06 case inside the 470 and twisting it or are you lightly tapping on the case or ?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forcing it in by hand, maybe with just a little twist, and then pulling it out. -06 case goes about half way in. Makes a good forming mandrel to get out the dings in the necks of .470 NE.

Am doing Bell (Jamison) brass marked .470 NE Rigby

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
LOL..
for what it's worth, I have been looking at using 45 ACP or 45LC with the rim turned off for 1/2 jackets ... and yep, and .473 casehead should work as a hand expander... just don't leave it IN

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was using a projectile, the 06 cases sound better

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe,

Some of us are just a little slower than others ... and are always looking for an easy way to do things. Big Grin

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Funny I just had a try last weekend.
Last week I received from Buffaloarms (thanks to 500gr) 100 470NE cases. All with banged up case mouths.
I used a 375HH case and it worked fine, but I had to punch it a little.
I got the RCBS dies as well but not the right shell holder. I hope I'll get one from Huntington but I don't know when?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote