tommo577 pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
[EMAIL]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/mooojojojo/lion.jpg[/EMAIL]

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Tom was one happy guy. Great pics! Very nice Tom.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BoomStick,

Thanks for posting TOMO's very nice pics. He sent them to me but I had trouble getting them squared away for posting. I actually had my IT guy set up to help me with it tomorrow.

TOMO, glad to see your very nice pics posted - sorry I was dang slow getting it done.

As I mentioned in my email - very nice elephant and love the blood streaming out his ear, evidence of the perfect brainshot. I am envious.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i really thank God that i had the chance to do all that hunting before i got disabled.

and i try to suggest to anyone who has hunting dreams to "do it now ". don't put it off.

it won't be cheaper in the future.

and it may be more restrictive regulation wise.

and God forbid anything happens to your health , well you can sit in your wheelchair and keep saying " i should have, i should have"

so go for your dreams..... now, tom

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

One of those buff still has his eyes open. Eeker Are you sure that YOU killed it? Wink

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boom stick, a big THANKS for helping get these posted. i sincerely appreciate it.

jpk - thanks for your efforts too, if i knew what i was doing i could probably have sent them in a better format.

but my "new " computer (dec 8 2006) is crapping out for the 3rd time ! so it is off to gateway again ! i'm beginning to think they really are disposable . cheers, tom

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures, and it looks like some fantastic hunting!! Must have been a real trip. Some really nice trophy"s too. Congradulations.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TOMO,

Try a Dell maybe. This one in my home is going on five or so and going strong. For most of that time I worked out of my house and it saw lots of use.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Is that a silencer screwed on in the 5th pic with the pic and antelope? (Not sure of the critters)

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies Tom thumb

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 904 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Tom - you and I share something in common - we both have a face for radio Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I resemble that remark!

Nice trophies Tom!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Nice photos...looks like you had some great hunting experiences.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
tommo...sorry i could not get it here sooner...my laptop is down and at work it is hard to "surf"

thanks for sharing the pics and advice.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for sharing those great photos. Nice trophies across the board and great memories all, I'm sure.

Your trophy room must be full to bursting.

BTW, I really like that full stocked Sako. It's probably too much to hope for, given that you used it on roebuck, but it wouldn't be a .375 would it? That is a sweet rig!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tom, great animals, how big was the ivory???

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos! Nice trophies! Thanks for sharing.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi all, i'll try to answer the questions you asked. the ivory was 55# and 57 1/2# - both tusks were 6 feet on the outside curve. and perfectly matched - the Lord sent me a good one. rifle used was an army & navy 450 straight - one shot in the earhole brained him. he was dead before he hit the ground. all my years of practice paid off when it was time. that rifle pointed exactly where i as looking. i didn't need to see the sights, as soon as the rifle hit my shoulder i fired. distance was less than 30 yards.

the rifle with the blesboks is a ruger 77 in 270 with a silencer. they are legal in s.a. and used especially when night culling with lights. the silencers don't seem to affect the accuracy at all. this was a borrowed rifle as i did not have a scoped rifle with me. the lower noise level doesn't spook the game too much.

the single shot - as with the leopard and plains game is a merkel kipplauf (k 1) in 300 win mag. deadly accurate i took a springbuck at 400 yards - the furthest i ever shot anything. i don't know who was more surprised when i shot, me or the springbuck !

the sako was a borrowed rifle in estonia - in 9,3 x 62 . i wish i could have talked the owner out of it....
well maybe next time. it isn't a 375 but i don't think the roebuck or the keiler knew it .

the lion was also taken with the 450. he came to the blind , not the bait. until you see one up close and standing you don't realize how big they really are ! he is an sci gold medal lion . i estimated he weighed 1,000 poundsd. but we had him on a scale within an hour after shooting and he weighed 350 pounds. the message
here is take with a grain of salt ( a 55 # block ) the estimates of 500 + pound lions. the scales don't tell stories... some ph do. i trust the scales and the skull measurement.

let me re-read the posts and see what i missed. thanks for all your nice comments - good hunting to you
and waidsmanns heil, tom

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle with the buffalo is a searcy 577 ejector model. very accurate and a joy to shoot. a real stopper.

not shown are pics of the 458 lott or the 303 westley droplock. i used the drop lock for shooting some impala for bait, but without a scope my eyes aren't as good as the englishmen of old ! so for any distance shooting i used a scoped rifle.

these photos were from 3 trips to zimbabwe, 2 to south africa, 2 to estonia and 1 to finland but i can't seem to find any pics from that one or the trip to russia.

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tomo
Nice rifles, nice trophies.

Great Ivory. Big Grin

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome pictures and trophys!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunsmithing
posted Hide Post
It is with a heavy heart to notify you of the passing of tomo577, Tom Ondrus. We may have had our differences, but many things were in common also. May he hunt forever, with unlimited ammo, and a good double rifle.

Frank "Tom" Ondrus

Frank "Tom" Ondrus, age 66, passed away April 13, 2010 at Erie Health Canter after a long illness. A resident of Albion, for five years, and previous resident of Austinburg, Ohio, for 15 years, where he owned and operated Cable Tool. An avid big game hunter who traveled to Africa nine times. He was a loving husband of Coral; a dear father of Suzanne, Christiana, Mike, Jake, Josh, and Krys; grandfather of Cierra and Aneveah; brother of the late James; son of the late Frank and Ann; and son in law of Edward and Cheryl Spencer. Visitation from 4 to 8 p.m. and a chapel service at 7:30 p.m. to be held at Zele Funeral Home, 452 East 152nd St., Cleveland, OH 44110, on Sunday April 18, 2010.

any one who does not want to work for a living can run for public office

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was nice hunting. Some day I'll shake his
hand again, we'll each have double in the left... salute

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
i really thank God that i had the chance to do all that hunting before i got disabled.

and i try to suggest to anyone who has hunting dreams to "do it now ". don't put it off.

and God forbid anything happens to your health , well you can sit in your wheelchair and keep saying " i should have, i should have"

Truer words were never written.

RIP Tom.

one of us
posted Hide Post
May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back....

RIP Tom.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:

Truer words were never written.

RIP Tom.

+1

How much more potent is this message today. Thanks for the reminder of this thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to spend a little time with Tom at the only DRSS shoot I had the pleaser to attending.

Tom was already disabled at that time, and with the heat had a hard time getting around. I did what I could to help that weekend and spent several hours with him. We had a good time together, he had a passion for fine guns and Africa. We spoke several times after on the phone. He had a wealth of knowledge to share.

As many have I got to feel Toms sharp side, It takes a special man to go through all that Tom did, He was not going to go quietly into the night!!!

If he was a little sharp at times it's what he needed to be to get through. He was a truly a man's man, and his passing is a great loss!

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the privilege of time with Tom on the phone several times over the past couple of years. He knew a lot and was willing to share that knowledge and experience he had accumulated over the years.

Rich
DRSS

We are diminished...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What a great remembrance of a friend...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote