THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    CEB Raptor 450/400 Load Development
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CEB Raptor 450/400 Load Development
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Just got in a new 89B 450/400 and started some load work for an upcoming buffalo hunt. I've had great success with the CEB Raptor handgun bullets on hogs, and I thought I would give them a try in this rifle. The results were very good.

Here are 4 shots at 50 yds.

Being so tight at 50, I thought they might cross at 100, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, with RL15, the right barrel wants to shoot a little higher. With 4831, they flatten out, but the 4831 definitely has more recoil. The groups are good enough that I don't think the vertical dispersion is enough to matter.

I was working with NF Cup Points last week.

Here is a left and right at 200. Yes, 200. POA is at the top of the steel.

Honestly, I thought that group seemed to have a bit of "luck" in it... then I shot the Raptors at the same gong yesterday.

Here is a pair of Raptors at 200. Same POA as above, and that's 8.5" of drop from the top of the gong.

I certainly wouldn't take an initial shot on a buff at 200 yards, but you might find yourself in a position where that's all you have on a follow-up.

The "development" stage of load work is done... now time to practice.

All of these groups were shot with a 1 MOA RMR, which makes all the difference in the world when shooting a double for accuracy!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way cool!

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
CEB sure knows how to make accurate and deadly bullets. Great work and thanks for posting. I have a special place in my heart for the 400 because of this very reason, Pistol bullets!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for double rifles being only good for short range. You could have shot a rabbit with it at 200yds.

I do understand that there would be quite a few double rifles that are not as well regulated though.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you worked up loads for CEB Solids yet??

Does your DR have a 200yrd leaf on the rear sight If so use that next time your shooting steel

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Have you worked up loads for CEB Solids yet??

Does your DR have a 200yrd leaf on the rear sight If so use that next time your shooting steel

Solids are on the way. There are only two leaves on this rifle... a standing 50 and folding 100.

At 200 yards, I think the front bead (2mm) would cover most of the 12" gong. That makes it very hard to repeat a consistent hold on the target... the red dot sights are key!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You are one smart $&@%er salute
Not afraid to mix the best of modern and old. tu2
Red dot sights on doubles is awesome.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote