Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Ondrus in ICU
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Regardless of your relationship with Tom Ondrus I'm sorry to amounce that Tom is seriously ill, and is in ICU. His wife Coral sent mean e-mail saying he had been taken off life support, and made it through the night, but the prognosis does not look good.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that and wish him and his family well.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I wish Tom and his family the best,through this trying time.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Sorry, and my wishes of hope to him and his family.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I know Tom, and wish him and his familly the best.

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had three dealings with Tom over the past few years, when I bought double rifle ribs from him over the phone. He was always the perfect gentleman with me, delivery was prompt, and product was good. My hopes and prayers to Tom and his family. Oddly, I saw a post by Tom on AR about a week ago and assumed that that meant he was back home and doing OK.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hopefully his final moments will be surrounded by friends and family. I wish them well.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Above all a prayer for peace and solace for his family.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Tom's wife (Coral)this afternoon around 5:30pm est. Coral said that the dialysis machine was turned off and Tom was given some morphine to make him comfortable. He is with his family and loved ones.

Tom you are in my thoughts and prayers.

BR

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
Very sad news, I thought he was on the mend.

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bike Rider:
I spoke with Tom's wife (Coral)this afternoon around 5:30pm est. Coral
said that the dialysis machine was turned off and Tom was given some
morphine to make him comfortable. He is with his family and loved ones.

Tom you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Corbin

And mine too... Frowner salute

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive had seveal good conversations with tom in the past... i wish him and his family comfort...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I've had coffee with Tom a few times. I enjoyed our conversations and had some good laughs.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
He is in my prayers.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn...

I always enjoyed chatting with Tom on the phone and here.

He lived a pretty rich and full life, and will be sadly missed.

Rich
DRSS

We are diminished...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best to Tom & his family.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Tom? Regardless I wish the best to he and his family.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'll fill you in tommarrow.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
Above all a prayer for peace and solace for his family.

X2

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tom and his family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Tom? Regardless I wish the best to he and his family.

Brett

Brett

Tom is "one of us" in the truest sense. He is a solid individual.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I too have had dealings with Tom. He has been in my prayers for quite some time. My prayers are out to him and his family.
Bob Studen

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Tom and Coral.

Tom is in my prayers.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my trip to Zimbabwe last year I carried a Merkel in 470NE that was one of Tom's personal rifles that I bought a couple of year ago.

Our prayers go out to Tom and his family.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Re: Tom Ondrus - I'm sorry to amounce that Tom is seriously ill, and is in ICU. His wife Coral sent mean e-mail saying he had been taken off life support, and made it through the night, but the prognosis does not look good.

Is CORAL going to call anyone on AR as conditions change?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear about Tom. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

I purchased my first big bore double from Tom. He was a perfect gentleman and very generous with his time on on the phone and "mentoring" me to the world of double rifles. I have always enjoyed our phone conversations. He is a great friend indeed.

Regards,
Leon Robert
Colonel, US Army
Kabul, Afghanistan

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers to Tom and his family

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated on Tom. In my experience, he always treated his customers fairly and was honest and upfront.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coral just called me to let me know that Tom passed away today and she asked that I post this on AR to let everyone know.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed.

Condolances to all of his family and friends.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frowner ONE OF US has gone. Frowner

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn, that's really sad news Ed. I liked Tom a whole bunch. I just hope that there is dangerous game to be hunted in the "Happy Hunting Grounds"!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
E-mail from Coral

Sorry to say Tom passed away this afternoon at 3:45...coral

Yes I just checked my E-mail, and got the above note from Coral!

Tom's life was way too short, but he did some living while he was with us! He only lacked the Rhino to complete his big-five!

Well his suffering is over and his body is not holding him back now, so he can hunt as long as he wants in the happy hunting grounds! ...........R.I.P.Tom, your friend from Texas!

My condolences go out to you Coral! Frowner

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My sincerest condolences.

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Tom.

My condolence to Coral and the rest of his family.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sympathies to his family.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the family.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hard news to hear! Our thoughts and prayers are with his family!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote