Find
Notify
Tools

Cal Papus
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
I don't know if Call has already posted this here. If he has I will cancel it! I thought it might interest some here, if not disregard!

quote:
CalPappas.com
"The Best in Double Rifles and African Hunting"
Friday, April 2, 2010
Over Stressed Rifling--a nonbeliever has now seen it!

OSR UPDATE. I stand corrected. The last day of the SCI show Graeme Wright came to the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter's Association's table and asked if I had a few minutes. I walked with him to meet a fellow who showed me his Hollis .450-400 3" double rifle--most likely a pre-WWI rifle. Graeme said this was an example of over stressed rifling and asked me to look at the outside of the right barrel by holding it up to the light and seeing the light reflecting down the length of the exterior. I saw an uninterrupted line of light from muzzle to breech. Next I held the rifle to the light and down the left barrel. Sure enough the line of reflected light was cut by shadows not quite perpendicular to the light but at an angle. This was not visible to the eye when held any other way and could not be felt by the fingers and I doubt it could be measured. Graeme mentioned this was a mild case of OSR and he has seen far worse. I was amazed. I looked over and over again, comparing both barrels, and there was no doubt about it--it was there.

Now, the main question (and one I can't answer) was WHY it was there. The owner of the rifle said it was due to a Barnes solid bullet of the old style with the solid shank--no grooves or bands. He was very upset and I asked him to come to Barnes with me to discuss the matter. He was too angry to do this even though this happened to his rifle approximately 20 years ago. So, back to the question of why. I have no information as to the bullet, the velocity it was shot at, the powder charge, pressure, diameter, etc...

Graeme had an interesting theory. In Australia, where they have lots of doubles, they have Woodleigh bullets and the soft nose, lead-cored, bullets work just fine. In the states, however, Woodleighs were not available in any great quantity years ago and American shooters shot Barnes and other monolithic bullets such as A-Square. So, we may have more problems of this nature here in the states.

That being said, I will be honest with the readers of this site. I have shot Barnes banded solids 100 times in my Wilkes with no problem and upon my return to Alaska I will examine the barrels as I did in Reno today. Even though I am witness to this in the one rifle I saw I will still stand by my former statements that with the banded solids that are .002" undersize and with the bands to lessen pressure and allow for displaced metal to flow they are fine to shoot. At least in my rifle, anyway. Graeme stated this may be the answer--a bit undersize and with bands--but the older solids were a hard metal and the solid shank did cause higher pressure.

I don't know if pressure is the culprit or the fluidity of the metal. I'm not a metallurgist. Older steels are softer than modern steel. Double rifle barrel walls are thinner than many modern rifles. My .600 barrel walls are much thicker than the .450-400's walls I saw today. That's all I can tell you and that is what I saw. I will post this to the forums upon my return home.

The photo at the top of this post is a pair of Barnes Banded Solids I shot through my .600 Wilkes. It is two of about 100 shots and not a sign of OSR. The answer (I agree with Graeme) is the bands and an undersize bullet. I had enough confidence to shoot them through my vintage .600 and they worked fine with no damage to my rifle.
Cal

The one problem I had with a Barnes solid was with the early one with no driving bands just a solid shank and very hard brass. I fired one round in a double barrel rifle chambered for 458 RCBS cartridge, that one shot locked the barrels closed, and the rifle had to be taken apart then broken over my knee to get it open. It evidently raised the chamber pressure so high that the rifle couldn't be opened with the fore stock on the rifle. This load with a 500 gr load with a Hornady soft point was a pussy cat, in comparison. I still have that box of bullets that I will be glad to donate to anyone who disbelieves this post. There wasno sign of OSR, but this was a Pedersoli double re-chambered from 45-70 to 458RCBS and the barrels are very thick all the way to the muzzles, and hot loads of 45-70 shot fine in this rifle with 500 gr Hornady jacketed bullets.

…………………………………………………………. old BOOM

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It's been almost 10 years and I remember seeing the rifle as if were yesterday. Thanks for reposting.
Cal Pappas (where did you get Papus?)

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

The one problem I had with a Barnes solid was with the early one with no driving bands just a solid shank and very hard brass. I fired one round in a double barrel rifle chambered for 458 RCBS cartridge, that one shot locked the barrels closed, and the rifle had to be taken apart then broken over my knee to get it open. It evidently raised the chamber pressure so high that the rifle couldn't be opened with the fore stock on the rifle. This load with a 500 gr load with a Hornady soft point was a pussy cat, in comparison. I still have that box of bullets that I will be glad to donate to anyone who disbelieves this post. There wasno sign of OSR, but this was a Pedersoli double re-chambered from 45-70 to 458RCBS and the barrels are very thick all the way to the muzzles, and hot loads of 45-70 shot fine in this rifle with 500 gr Hornady jacketed bullets.

Mac, there is so much wrong with this post I hardly know where to start. For one, you state there was no OSR. Hell, I didn't even have to see the rifle and I'll agree with you on that one.

Second, this was a rifle proofed for 45-70 re-chambered for a hotter load, which in and of itself is not an issue, but more info could be warranted.

Probably the biggest issue I have with the post is assuming one bullet is safe to shoot with the same load as another bullet. Everyone knows one of the first things you learn reloading is: change one component and you need to work up again. It surprises me not that an original Barnes solid and a Hornady soft would have different max loads. The fact it locked up your rifle proves nothing negative concerning the Barnes bullet. What it does prove is: Change one component and you need to work up again!

For that matter, take any bullet manufacturer's reloading manual and you'll see differences in max load recommendations between their soft and solid offerings. Sometimes significantly different. Mix and match bullet manufacturers and bullet construction types and those differences can be even larger.

On a lighter note:

We've all seen this old photo of Nessie:

A few months ago, I was working in an area of North Texas where I've not been before. As I was driving home, I passed a very large pond about two hundred yards off the highway. I saw that exact same image in the water! I thought to myself, NOPE. Not a chance. I had to stop, turn around and go back to see it again. I wish it was a little closer so that I could have gotten an IPhone photo of what I saw (Iphone is the only camera I had at the time). It would have been a perfect foil to this entire OSR BullShtine of "I've seen it, I've seen it" (BTW, I'll again say I've seen a striped barrel as well. Owned it in a M-77. Wasn't caused by shooting a mono).

When I pulled over and saw this exact same image, and realized what it was, I starting laughing my ass off. Get this ... It was a llama farm and one of the llama's had walked out into the water to cool off. Only the upper half of the llama was exposed. Similar to this, although it was too far for me to get a photo of it:

It was perfect in explaining what we see with our own eyes often has a very logical explanation as to being something very different, especially when we REALLY WANT TO SEE it. So in the end, NO, I didn't find Nessie in North Texas, and OSR is still about as likely to be proven.

clap

LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Cal Pappas (where did you get Papus?)

One has to wonder how a lot of words on AR are butchered. At least Mac didn't have the luxury of spellcheck.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
I've always respected and appreciated your posts. What is your take on my original post of 2010 and the rifle I saw with Graeme?

Since then I've seen another here in Alaska with the same issue. Fingers can't detect any discrepancies on the barrel's exterior but "lines" matching the rifling twist can be seen on the exterior if held to the light and the reflection is such that it shines the length of the barrel.

Just curious, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Howdy Cal.

Like I've stated numerous times, I don't discount anyone's report of seeing a barrel with "stripping". I've mentioned it numerous times that I owned a Ruger M-77 with the same striping as described. That was in the early 1980's. I think it was 1982 but could have been 1983. A 338 WM. Rifle shot lights out accurately but it did have that striping on the outside of the barrel. I remember very distinctly the first time I noticed it and thinking What the Hell?

Anyway, that rifle never had a monometal bullet fired through it so I know that striping wasn't caused by a monometal bullet. In fact, the only bullets I ever fired in that rifle as far as I can remember was Nosler Partitions as I was a fan back in the day.

I also like to point out that Graeme stated in his book when he described OSR that it was caused by a "too hard steel jacketed bullet". How that morphed into monometals is something that has left me wanting more info.

My take on the barrel striping issue Cal is that it certainly exists, but from my experience with that M-77, it was something caused in the manufacturing process. The button rifling process has been suggested as a culprit and I'd say that makes more sense to me than firing a bullet down the barrel.

Again, I'm not saying I don't believe the stripped barrel reports. I'm saying I'm not convinced as to what caused them. I like to hang my opinions on as much solid evidence as can be generated. I still find it odd that vintage bolt or single shot rifles somehow escape the OSR curse but it somehow becomes an issue once you run a line of solder down the barrel. That doesn't seem logical to me.

Going back to evidence, reading the work Sam and Michael did on the Double Rifle of the Future Bullet thread, they determined the current monos have a much lower barrel strain than many of the widely accepted cup and core bullets on the market, specifically the two Hornady offerings and the Woodleigh FMJ.

Personally, I see too many questions to buy the line that OSR is caused by a bullet, and even more questions that it's caused by a mono, especially the current monos.

I'm of course joking around and having a bit of fun with the Llama in the water picture. But it really did hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw that animal in the water as I was driving by at 70mph as it looked just like the Nessie photo. Until I got turned around and figured out it was a Llama farm, I really was saying to myself "What the Hell"! Turns out what I saw had a much more logical explanation.

Cool

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Excellent and logical reply, Todd. It makes a lot of sense.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cal, also, you and I had a detailed discussion on a previous thread regarding your article that Mac cited.

I remember pointing out that it seemed awfully fishy to me that the owner of the rifle was adamant about blaming the Barnes bullet but was unwilling to speak to them about it when they were right there and he could offer the rifle as evidence. I don't know about you but if I owned a pre war vintage DR worth tens of thousands of dollars that I thought some bullet manufacturer ruined by using their product, and I believed it to be the case to the exception of all other causes, I'd be at least willing to ask them about it.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Cal, also, you and I had a detailed discussion on a previous thread regarding your article that Mac cited.

I remember pointing out that it seemed awfully fishy to me that the owner of the rifle was adamant about blaming the Barnes bullet but was unwilling to speak to them about it when they were right there and he could offer the rifle as evidence. I don't know about you but if I owned a pre war vintage DR worth tens of thousands of dollars that I thought some bullet manufacturer ruined by using their product, and I believed it to be the case to the exception of all other causes, I'd be at least willing to ask them about it.

Quite honestly,it would have been a waste of time,the owner of that rifle knew that Barnes would never acknowledge that their bullets caused the damage,it would have been suicidal to have done so financially,they would have used all their resources to walk away from the liability,this would be my guess,as we all know it would have been an easy defense anyways,as evidenced by the disbelief showed here by you & so many others,I wonder why the design of the the original solid was improved if it was so perfect?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reading a lot about this on this forum, and in a few books.

Permit me a question. The non OSR group observes that pressure test material show the Barnes Banded Soild as producing less pressure than say a traditional steel with copper clad jacketed soild.

The decrease in pressure between these two styles of bullets is proven at least to me.

However, is it possible the assumption that OSR is caused by increase pressure be incorrect? Or conversely, the assumption that the reduced pressure from a “relief cut” mono bullet mean that bullet is safe in older/thinker double rifle barrels be incorrect?

Could or is a bullet like the Barnes Banded Soild causing OSR through some other means other than pressure.

Not trying to be a troll. I am asking in sincerity.

Note when I refer to lower pressure between the two bullets, I am referring to barrel strain and the test reported her cited by Todd Williams.

Posts: 11368 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

Quite honestly,it would have been a waste of time,the owner of that rifle knew that Barnes would never acknowledge that their bullets caused the damage,it would have been suicidal to have done so financially,they would have used all their resources to walk away from the liability,this would be my guess,as we all know it would have been an easy defense anyways,as evidenced by the disbelief showed here by you & so many others,I wonder why the design of the the original solid was improved if it was so perfect?

That's funny Bill. It's my exact thought regarding the maker of the rife, it being suicidal financially to admit they may have caused it in the manufacturing process. Much easier to blame a bullet!

clap

Still waiting for a logical explanation of how a bullet, softer than the steel barrel, can cause a perfect "outprint" of rifling on the outside of a barrel without first bursting the barrel by traveling down the bore.

Still waiting for a logical explanation of how those very shallow rifling lands can be "transferred" through the much thicker steel of the barrel walls to make an "outprint".

If the bullet, that's softer than the steel barrel, exerts that much pressure on the lands, why doesn't the bullet "smear" the lands as it bulges and pushes down the barrel instead of causing a perfect "outprint" on the barrel?

How does this "outprint" appear when you consider the amount of opposing force it takes to imprint on a coin? What creates the opposing force to allow that "outprint" to appear without bursting the barrel?

So many questions.

coffee

As to why the bullets designs were improved? Can't say. I actually thought back in the day that this thing was the bomb!

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, where is your Vietnam Era "reel to reel"....state of the art don't you know!
Nancy Sinatra singing "These Boots Are Made For Walking..." dancing

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I still have my reel to reel as well as Nancy's album + too many others to post.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I still contend that the appearance OSR has to be related to two things.
One could be heat transfer from the rifling of the barrel to the outside, changing the appearance of the finish.
One reason is that the appearance, which is visible in the correct light, appears down the entire length of the barrel.
How can a projectile, once imprinted with the rifling from entering the bore, continue to apply this extraordinary force down the entire length of the barrel? It cannot. It could be that brass monos create more heat than a copper jacketed bullet. Any metallurgists out there whom can tell us what kind of galling and heat generation differences there are between the two?

I've asked this before, why has nobody been able to measure the phenomenon? A pin gauge down the bore will tell you if anything has been displaced (as long as you have the measurement beforehand) and a parted ring gauge will allow you to at least see if light is allowed past it on the exterior of the barrel.

Perhaps because the second possibility is that the rifling is indeed being overstressed but the steel's elasticity allows it to return to it's original specs, BUT, the bluing in some way cannot completely return to it's original state and shows the tell tale swirl down the barrel's finish.
After all this pondering, this one seems the most likely to me.
This, however, circles back on the question of how a bullet, once engraved with the rifling, can do that and there is no answer for that unless you have a tapered bore.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From an engineering standpoint I find this problem quite interesting. It would seem that there are many opinions but very little real information or data. Has anyone had any of these ruptured barrels analyzed by a metallurgist? A good examination could tell us a lot. Huvius has hit upon something that I have wondered about; the tapered bore. From other posts it appears that this was done with black powder rifles. Was this practice carried over into the smokeless era? Also were any of these rifles ever choke bored, ie constricted in the last few inches of the barrel? Until we get a nice pile of failed barrels to examine or someone wants to spend a lot of time and $$ in a lab everyone will have to have to keep guessing.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
From an engineering standpoint I find this problem quite interesting. It would seem that there are many opinions but very little real information or data. Has anyone had any of these ruptured barrels analyzed by a metallurgist? A good examination could tell us a lot. Huvius has hit upon something that I have wondered about; the tapered bore. From other posts it appears that this was done with black powder rifles. Was this practice carried over into the smokeless era? Also were any of these rifles ever choke bored, ie constricted in the last few inches of the barrel? Until we get a nice pile of failed barrels to examine or someone wants to spend a lot of time and $$ in a lab everyone will have to have to keep guessing.
C.G.B.

You mean like this:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...201069141#1201069141

26 pages chocked full of data.

killpc

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

………………………………………………………….

quote:

TODD
Mac, there is so much wrong with this post I hardly know where to start. For one, you state there was no OSR. Hell, I didn't even have to see the rifle and I'll agree with you on that one.

The fact that the barrel walls of that rifle are three times the thickness of a normal double rifle, all the way to the muzzles may have something to do with it not showing OSR, YA THANK?

quote:
TODD
The
Second, this was a rifle proofed for 45-70 re-chambered for a hotter load, which in and of itself is not an issue, but more info could be warranted.

Probably the biggest issue I have with the post is assuming one bullet is safe to shoot with the same load as another bullet. Everyone knows one of the first things you learn reloading is: change one component and you need to work up again. It surprises me not that an original Barnes solid and a Hornady soft would have different max loads. The fact it locked up your rifle proves nothing negative concerning the Barnes bullet. What it does prove is: Change one component and you need to work up again!

Todd I have been loading everything from 22 hornet to 577 NE and wild cat loads since you were in grade school. I am well aware of reducing loads of a new chambering and new bullet, working up to workable loads, The Barnes bullet was loaded into a new brass, and with a squib load with the brass no drive bands, solid shank HARD brass. If that bullet had been a North fork, it is my belief there would have been not problem at all.

quote:
TODD
For that matter, take any bullet manufacturer's reloading manual and you'll see differences in max load recommendations between their soft and solid offerings. Sometimes significantly different. Mix and match bullet manufacturers and bullet construction types and those differences can be even larger.

To top this off You mention of your statement seeing the spirals on the barrel of a Ruger 77 has nothing to do with OSR. Those are the result of COLD HAMMER FORGING and Ruger is not the only rifle where you will find those that have not been turned off by the maker. Like Cal, and Mark Cash I have seen the real thing on a double rifle that belonged to a member of DRSS on a A&N double on one barrel. That was about the last 8 inches of the barrel to the muzzles.

Todd it is your right to believe what ever you want, but I see no reason to call anyone a liar when they tell you they have seen this effect on double rifle barrels. The information that was gleaned from several people that are the builders of fine double rifle and shotgun like H&H and Purdy who see this effect of rifles they made, and have re-barreled because of it. I supposed those people are seeing "BIG FOOT" along those of us here who have seen it first hand.

I realize this will have no effect on your opinion on this matter, but it is simply your opinion, with no proof that those who have seen it first hand are stupid, or at least just liars. If you haven't seen OSR then it must not exist. RIGHT?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. BOOM...……. sofa

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I don't think Tood's saying anyone is lying, far from it. What I do think (and I agree with him) that logic buttressed by physics just does not compute...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

………………………………………………………….

quote:

TODD

The fact that the barrel walls of that rifle are three times the thickness of a normal double rifle, all the way to the muzzles may have something to do with it not showing OSR, YA THANK?

quote:
TODD
The

Todd I have been loading everything from 22 hornet to 577 NE and wild cat loads since you were in grade school. I am well aware of reducing loads of a new chambering and new bullet, working up to workable loads, The Barnes bullet was loaded into a new brass, and with a squib load with the brass no drive bands, solid shank HARD brass. If that bullet had been a North fork, it is my belief there would have been not problem at all.

quote:
TODD

To top this off You mention of your statement seeing the spirals on the barrel of a Ruger 77 has nothing to do with OSR. Those are the result of COLD HAMMER FORGING and Ruger is not the only rifle where you will find those that have not been turned off by the maker. Like Cal, and Mark Cash I have seen the real thing on a double rifle that belonged to a member of DRSS on a A&N double on one barrel. That was about the last 8 inches of the barrel to the muzzles.

Todd it is your right to believe what ever you want, but I see no reason to call anyone a liar when they tell you they have seen this effect on double rifle barrels. The information that was gleaned from several people that are the builders of fine double rifle and shotgun like H&H and Purdy who see this effect of rifles they made, and have re-barreled because of it. I supposed those people are seeing "BIG FOOT" along those of us here who have seen it first hand.

I realize this will have no effect on your opinion on this matter, but it is simply your opinion, with no proof that those who have seen it first hand are stupid, or at least just liars. If you haven't seen OSR then it must not exist. RIGHT?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. BOOM...……. sofa

Mac, you need to chill my friend.

Smiler

Firstly, I've gone out of my way to not call anyone a liar. I've stated over and over that I believe the guys who say they've seen the striping on barrels. Said I had a rifle showing the same striping. That M-77. Funny that you'll admit that rifle had the striping due to a manufacturer's process but the exact same type of striping on a double HAS TO BE caused by a monometal, especially when Graeme first blamed a "too hard steel jacketed bullet"!

And that is my point. Knowing the background of that M-77 that showed the exact same striping tells me the striping you guys have seen on a DR is very likely the result of something OTHER THAN shooting a monometal bullet. It's the very point being made with the Llama in the water. You see one thing and depending on how much you want to believe what you are seeing, it's often an easy step to conclude something it is not. To be more clear: I believe you guys have seen stripes on barrels, I just don't believe it's caused by a monometal bullet. Nothing more. And certainly not calling anyone a liar or stupid.

And let's go back to your reply about shooting that Barnes bullet. Now you are saying you shot it with a squib load. I'll say again, anytime you change bullets, you have to rework the safe loads. You know this because as you say, you've been loading since I was in grade school. You know there are Max and MIN loads. Those min loads are there due to excessive pressure created when there isn't enough force to start the engraving process.

I'm not saying you didn't lock up your rifle. I'm saying I need more information to place the blame on the Barnes bullet just because you shot the same load with a Barnes that you determined safe with a Hornady bullet. In other words, did the load that locked up your rifle fit between the Min and Max loads determined to be safe for the Barnes bullet? If it was just a swag, I'd say more than likely the problem was the load itself and not the bullet.

Again, not calling anyone a liar or stupid. Just saying reading what's been written and listening to what has been said, when viewed critically, I've got more questions to ask before placing blame squarely anywhere.

This whole OSR / Barnes Bullet crap is like the Global Warming thing. Believers get upset when presented with unresolved questions. It's almost like a religion in that regard. Questioning "the accepted theory" is seen as heresy in the DR community by the establishment. And back to my M-77 with the striped barrel, you say it isn't OSR but on an H&H it is. That's like the Global Warming folks telling us we cannot use an unusually cold day in July to prove anything while at the same time telling us a hot day in October is 100% proof we need to shit can cars!! WTF Over? Can't have it both ways ya know!

Wink

Go back to asking Cal about his experience with shooting the Barnes monos in his vintage double. Is he reporting OSR on that rifle? I haven't heard as much.

horse

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I want to share an experience I had a couple of years back regarding Graeme's writing. I've told this before but will relay it again. This story is the essence of why I question things said or written beyond just taking things at face value. I realize my digging for detailed answers is irritating to some but I really want to form opinions based on evidence.

We had a discussion here on AR about shooting reduced loads in DRs. The subject of Trail Boss came up. Some very experienced guys warned against using it due to what Graeme had written concerning locking up the action on one of his DR's.

I called the factory and spoke to a rep. Yep, sure enough he cited Graeme's writing and said they do not recommend using Trail Boss for Double Rifle reduced loads due to Graeme locking up his rifle and they consider his writings as the bible.

So I dug out that discussion in his book. Turns out there was a lot of info being left out of the discussion.

First and foremost, Graeme was not shooting a Nitro proofed DR. He was shooting a BP Express DR.

Secondly, he wasn't attempting to find a safe reduced load using Trail Boss. He was experimenting with using Trail Boss to develop a Nitro for Black load, duplicating the same velocity with TB as obtained with BP.
This pursuit required him to use a compressed load of TB. Uh OH!!

We all know, or should know, that compressing Trail Boss is a big NO NO!! It causes pressures to spike unexpectedly.

Falling back to the reduced load TB process of filling the case to the bottom of the seated bullet, weighing that load, then taking 70% as a starting point, working up to the MAX of a full but UNCOMPRESSED LOAD, being perfectly safe in a Nitro proofed DR, I've used TB for reduced load shooting for years now with absolutely no issues at all.

My position on the OSR / Barnes topic is nothing more than wanting to dig into the discussion further and exhaust all outstanding questions in a similar manner as with the TB reduced loads in a Nitro DR. In a similar vein, before branding the Barnes bullet as the culprit that locked up your rifle, I'd want to explore more about the load. My first impression was maybe your good to go Hornady load was to hot for the Barnes. When you say it was a squib load, my next question is was it below the MIN recommended load for the Barnes bullet? The difference between you and me on that particular issue is you are blaming the bullet without asking further questions while I'd like to get more information before placing blame. That's really the difference in our opinions on the OSR topic as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I dug out that discussion in his book.

Please provide the passage from Graeme's book WORD for WORD where he states that he was using a COMPRESSED LOAD.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:
quote:

So I dug out that discussion in his book.

Please provide the passage from Graeme's book WORD for WORD where he states that he was using a COMPRESSED LOAD.

I don't have the book available for reference any longer. Sorry.

But look for the discussion on that topic ( use of Trail Boss).

He was using a BP rifle, not a Nitro gun.

And he was trying to get Nitro for Black velocities. From memory now, something in the 1,750 fps range.

A full load of Trail Boss (meaning powder loaded to the bottom of the seated bullet) without compression will get you about 1,250fps or so. At least that's about what it gives me in my 500NE.

So any additional powder past that is going to start being compressed. Trail Boss reacts quickly to ANY level of compression.

The point being, he wasn't trying to develop a reduced load for practice in a Nitro gun but was trying to get BP velocities with TB in a BP Express rifle. Going past about 1,300 fps with TB will require more powder than it takes to fill the case to the bottom of the seated bullet. That means compression.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't provide that passage in his book because it doesn't exist.

When it comes to what Graeme wrote in his book, in fairness to the man, perhaps you could first check that what you are claiming he did or said is correct.

This is not the only time that you have misread, misinterpreted, misunderstood and misquoted what was stated in that book.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:
You can't provide that passage in his book because it doesn't exist.

When it comes to what Graeme wrote in his book, in fairness to the man, perhaps you could first check that what you are claiming he did or said is correct.

This is not the only time that you have misread, misinterpreted, misunderstood and misquoted what was stated in that book.

The fact is, I can't provide that passage in his book because I no longer own it. I gave it to a friend because I have largely lost interest in Double Rifles and African hunting altogether. Until this year, my last trip was 5 and a half years ago. I've taken all of the big 5 a couple of times over with the exception of 1 green hunted rhino. Several buff, several ele (both cows and bulls) and a lion, all taken with doubles. Just lost interest and found other things of late. In fact, I only booked the buffalo hunt I went on this year as a celebration with my son for a business deal we did together that paid off. And I did that trip with bolt trash rifles. So you'll have to excuse me if I can't dig out the discussion WORD for WORD at present as I just don't own the book any longer.

I do remember Graeme writing about locking up his BP Express rifle attempting to duplicate BP velocities using Trail Boss and his subsequent recommendation against using the powder for that purpose. It appears to be a very logical statement on his part and one that I would agree with without reservation. I'm working from memory but I do believe I have the facts of that discussion in his book represented correctly.

What I disagreed with was not Graeme's writing on the topic of using Trail Boss, as you seem to be insinuating, but that some others have interpreted what he actually said in that discussion. Some took his statement to not use Trail Boss at all in a Double Rifle when in fact what he said was he does not recommend using TB as a Nitro for Black substitute in a BP DR.

If I have that wrong, I'll freely admit as much. If you have the book and can provide his discussion on using Trail Boss as a substitute for BP loads, I'll gladly re-read it if you provide it here.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Yeah no sweat, I have always also held the opinion that the blame belonged to the guys who gave you the advice rather than what Graeme had actually written. But then those guys were probably understandably just being cautious with their advice.

It's sad to hear that you have lost interest in hunting Africa and also double rifles.
Don't walk away too fast, the urge may well come back!
I've been a double rifle tragic for over forty years, and still can't get the bloody things out of my system!

Good to hear that you took your son to Africa after Buff.
That's one of the great and enjoyable things that father and son can do together.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok after this I have to shoot the mono solids in my old double and if it blows up I’ll agree with everything here. First the elk hunt then the sheep hunt then the double. Kabloowie Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It makes sense to me not to shoot hard bullets through a vintage rifle (of any kind) where the barrels are made from softer steel. I think the ML community may offer some insights on this as they use 12L14 for 90% of modern barrels knowing that it's too soft to shoot anything but patched soft lead bullets and maybe plastic sabot bullets through it. This alloy is used because it's very easy to make CUT rifled barrels of it; similar to the process used to rifle vintage doubles.

Now I also have a personal anecdote. I once owned a Sauer hammer Cape Gun, with a pitted shotgun bore that actually had a hole in it toward the muzzle where some prior genius had tried to fix a loose rib with a stick welder (the gun came out of Africa...). I took it to an aerospace welder and he tig welded the hole with mild steel rod. We dressed the outer surface with files. I took a reamer that was tight in the bore to clean up the bore where the weld had "dropped through". While running it down the bore to the weld area, I turned the reamer slowly thinking it would clean up any vistage of dents (and I think I raised a couple in that barrel before doing so). Well this created visible welts on the OUTSIDE of the barrel that looked like reverse rifling!! Could not feel them with the fingers but they were visible in the light just as the OP noted.

So I am not discounting the phenomenon at all. I think a hard bullet could displace the material behind the land slightly causing a welt on the exterior of a barrel, esp a thin barrel. If this was a vintage DR, the metal would be nice and soft (easy to cut), the grooves would be nice and deep, the barrels as light as they could safely make them; besides, hammer forging had not been invented at the time. I can see how a cutter might also displace metal if it were blunt so that's theory no. 2. But barrels at the time were "struck" and polished after rifling and then rust blued ... so I think that theory is a very distant no. 2.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
It makes sense to me not to shoot hard bullets through a vintage rifle

That would mean steel/copper jacketed Woodleighs and Hornadys for starters as pressure tests showed they generated significantly more pressure than softer monos made of copper (like Barnes)

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
It makes sense to me not to shoot hard bullets through a vintage rifle

That would mean steel/copper jacketed Woodleighs and Hornadys for starters as pressure tests showed they generated significantly more pressure than softer monos made of copper (like Barnes)

Exactly!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having not seen the data referenced, but having read that one should back off powder charges when using a mono bullet of the same weight, I would like to see the data. Could someone quote it, or link to it? Specifically, since Barnes Cu mono bullets have lower density, are we comparing two bullets of the same profile; or of the same weight? A lighter (less dense) bullet is going to produce less pressure with the same propellant charge, because it's lighter, not because it squeezes down the bore easier.

I have to believe anything with a lead core, with the possible exception of a steel jacketed bullet, is going to take rifling more easily than a copper or brass monometal bullet. And, if the same weight, is going to produce less pressure.

Again, talk to the ML people. They will tell you that hard lead bullets are much harder to ram down a barrel than pure (soft) lead.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacD37:

quote:
by Todd

Todd, You are right that one should never assume the change to a different cartridge and bullet than a rifle of any type, more so with a double rifle, is going to be safe when loaded to the same as the original chambering. Certainly one reduces the load to a squib load to start in working up a workable load for the new chambering. That rifle was shooting fine with hot RUGER NO 1 45-70 loads with no problem. The starting load for the new chambering was very light for the first test, and the next load was to be up 2 grains at a time to find a proper load. The first squib load did the lock-up. There after I used 400 gr Hornady jacketed soft point bullets and worked up slowly to the to the same speed I was getting with 45-70 that regulated properly with no other problem. I still have a box of BARNES 400 gr.458 mono-metal bullets with no driving bands, if anyone wants them, I also have a box of 300 gr 375 H&H of those same hard no driving bands shank brass that I will gladly donate as well.
I shoot NF bullets in all my modern doubles with no problem at all, and I'm crying because North Fork went under. Because those bullets were mono-metal bullets that were designed properly in the first place. I have about 200 470 bullets stashed, and 100 375 bullets that I will use sparingly till they run out!

I'm out on this subject! I simply thought those who may have wanted to see Call's post that I came across of on another website. I didn't mean to cause The a shit fest it turned out to be. I should have known better considering the subject matter!

I'm starting over with this double! It is going to Arron Little to be mono-blocked with a pair of barrels for 450-400 3.5" that will make this double considerably lighter, and better balanced for Alaska, and Canadian hunting.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………... sofa BYE!!! old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Having not seen the data referenced, but having read that one should back off powder charges when using a mono bullet of the same weight, I would like to see the data. Could someone quote it, or link to it? Specifically, since Barnes Cu mono bullets have lower density, are we comparing two bullets of the same profile; or of the same weight? A lighter (less dense) bullet is going to produce less pressure with the same propellant charge, because it's lighter, not because it squeezes down the bore easier.

I have to believe anything with a lead core, with the possible exception of a steel jacketed bullet, is going to take rifling more easily than a copper or brass monometal bullet. And, if the same weight, is going to produce less pressure.

Again, talk to the ML people. They will tell you that hard lead bullets are much harder to ram down a barrel than pure (soft) lead.

Good Lord. Once again, here is the link to the data referenced. All 26 pages of it.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...201069141#1201069141

Second time in this thread alone:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...571065452#1571065452

Look for the tables showing barrel strains for the different bullets. I think they start somewhere around page 12. I've dug it out countless times in these discussions and reposted it. There's a wealth of knowledge and data on current double rifle bullets and their pressures/barrel strains, etc. in that thread.

horse

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I'm with you man.

I'm out on this subject.

BOOM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well call me a dunce but here are two statements that jump out at me:

"I could not find a reason that it would not work, since that is what a strain gage does, it measures the amount of barrel stretch either by pressure, or the passage of a bullet down the bore!"

and

"Now it was Sam's contention that the two band design had to put less stress on the barrels than normal fmj bullets, or even multi band bullets. This obviously made good common sense to me too."

Clearly those two little driving bands, spaced apart, are going to result in lower hoop strain on the barrel than a full length conventional bearing surface.

And hoop strain --> hoop stress is not necessarily giving you the gas pressure behind the bullet, at least not until the bullet with its bearing surfaces has passed the strain gauge. It's measuring the dilation of the barrel caused by both.

In this experiment, they put the first strain gauge over the chamber, so that will give a good indication of pressure. The second one will react first to the bullet, and then to the gas pressure. There is also some delay as a spring does not return to its unloaded position immediately. I am not sure whether that is a negligible delay or not.

Now some comments on the various "modern" bullets: they tested the "Barnes Original" which is not a monometal bullet, in fact it's supposed to be a very soft bullet used in lower velocity cartridges; they tested the "Barnes BANDED Solid" which is the second evolution of the Barnes concept I believe. This has relief grooves for the metal displaced by the lands. It is NOT the bullet the OP claims ruined his barrel as best I can tell. Then they tested their BBW "Bullets of the Future" which are an extreme version of the Barnes Banded Solid. All were 500 grain bullets except the BBW #13 which was 466 grains. One would expect this to do well as it has almost no bearing surface and it's lighter.

The results, as I read them, are what one would expect: the bullets that were hardest on the barrel were those made partially of steel, and the BARNES BANDED SOLID. The "softest" bullets were the Woodleigh and the two EXTREME experimental bullets with hardly any bearing surface.

The first strain gauge is the one that gives the best indication of the "hardness", as the bullet is resisting gas expansion as it's being engraved at this point.

The strain gauge down toward the muzzle is hard to interpret. By then, the bullet has already been engraved. So higher pressure means what? Perhaps it reflects barrel time. The bullets with full contact surfaces have more friction and may take longer to reach the 19" point, allowing the gas pressure to rise behind them. The slippery bullets are outrunning the gas so they show lower gas pressure AT THAT POINT. The reading thus may not reflect what is being investigated, ie the "hardness" of the bullet on the rifling.

I did not see any data on the early non-banded Barnes design. Maybe I missed it. At the risk of being tut-tutted, if anyone knows where that is, I would appreciate their pointing it out to me.

At this time, from where I sit, I think the original theory ie that the Barnes bullet did the damage, has NOT been debunked. Sorry to test the patience of those who think the case is closed.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I think the OSR issue is a difficut one to explain. Too many variables are unknown or can't be discovered. Todd's explanation makes the most sense to me. Some thoughts:

While I have seen the striping on two rifles as I held them in my hand I have always wondered how a bullet could develop enough pressure to make the rifling visible on the barrel's exterior. I saw this, as mentioned, twice. But I could not feel it--and that's important. The fingers can pick up .001" discrepancy. Allow me to digress...

Years ago I painted cars on the side. When feathering Bondo to fill a dent or large scratch if the fingers could feel the edge of the Bondo the border line would stand out like a sore thumb when painted. With eyes closed if I could not feel the border between the metal and the Bondo the paint would be sans a line.

I have never felt the striping as attributed to OSR. Perhaps the rifling process is the culprit.
Maybe it could be the pressure of a hard bullet and/or a bullet a bit oversize. Of course we don't hear of this happening on bolt rifles or old lever rifles.

Could it be the pressure exerted on the rifling but whatever reason changes how the barrel takes the blue or blacking, thereby showing the appearance of rifling but not raising the actual metal's surface?

Just a thought.

And, in closing, to make you laugh. A former friend (who turned out to be a thief, liar and dick wad) claimed he saw with his own eyes the firing of a .600 nitro express Jeffery double with a mono metal bullet and it PUSHED THE RIFLING LANDS OUT OF THE BORE! He told me he acutally saw this and the several strips of bore metal, the actual lands, were on the ground ahead of the shooter!

Anyway, my new take on OSR after 10 years of pondering.
Any comments? Feedback is always both welcome and educational here from AR's finest gentlemen.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the issue of “traditional” solids with copper clad steel jackets, were not the “original” Brit nitro Express bullets nickel jacketed and not steel?

Sorry, I’m way to airport and had to ask.

Posts: 11368 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course we don't hear of this happening on bolt rifles or old lever rifles.

Cal

Or in vintage drillings!
If any rifle has a built in propensity to exhibit OSR it would be a thin barreled drilling.
Maybe those guys are just smarter in what they put down their barrels than us double rifle guys...

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
Of course we don't hear of this happening on bolt rifles or old lever rifles.

Cal

Or in vintage drillings!
If any rifle has a built in propensity to exhibit OSR it would be a thin barreled drilling.
Maybe those guys are just smarter in what they put down their barrels than us double rifle guys...

The only DR’s I have ever had problems with were thin barreled,& coincidentally in one of them?I was shooting Barnes Tsx loaded by a professional,no OSR but damaged regulation, this was the second rifle of the same make with this problem.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
On the issue of “traditional” solids with copper clad steel jackets, were not the “original” Brit nitro Express bullets nickel jacketed and not steel?

Sorry, I’m way to airport and had to ask.

Don’t know about Eley, but Kynoch solids were steel jackets over a lead core. The difference with modern steel jacketed solids is that the vintage Kynoch were thick at the nose and thinned towards the rear as well as the bullet profile was quite tapered so that the actual section with the most bore contact and need to engrave down by the lands was back at the thinner jacket section.
NICKEL:
You are thinking Nickel because the early jacket material for jacketed bullets was cupro-nickel alloy. It is silver color so could be confused with steel. This was found to foul the bores pretty badly so the jacket material was later changed to Guilding Metal as we still use today.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every drilling I have ever owned has barrels of "Krupp" steel ... maybe this is tougher than the steel used by the Brits. Or maybe they didn't make steel jacketed bullets in the smaller calibers typically found on drillings. Although many were proofed for "Stmg" bullets ... steel jacketed! So who knows. It is interesting that German proof laws specified the TYPE OF JACKET MATERIAL that the weapon was designed to shoot ... the two options being copper and steel. Presumably the barrels made for STMG bullets were of tougher steel.

Regarding tactile precision, there is a difference between a .001 step and a .001 hump.

And regarding regulation slip, I can see how this could happen if the solder stretched or fractured under strain, particularly if the barrels were already stressed in bending.