THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    8th Edition - Hornady reloading manual
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8th Edition - Hornady reloading manual
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My copy came in todays mail. Surprised to see they now offer data for the 450/400, 450 NE 3 1/4, 470 NE and the 500 NE 3 inch. Offers some interesting powder choices as well.

Damn near worth the price just for these three calibers. Thumbs up to a good book.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's on my Christmas list for the 450NE loads Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
SW: What is their recommended best powder/primer for the 450NE and their 480gr bullets?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They state it is important to use the Federal 215's and that H4831 is hard to beat.
Data for H4831 with the 480's ranges from:
78.3 grains - 1800 fps to 94.1 grains at 2,100 fps

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Just picked up a box of Hornady brass and DGX bullets for 500 NE.
I was planning to see if I could pick up the manual at DSC, but I may do some loading before then.
What do they say for IMR powders for the 500 with the DGX bullets ?

Thanks

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Hello,

Just picked up a box of Hornady brass and DGX bullets for 500 NE.
I was planning to see if I could pick up the manual at DSC, but I may do some loading before then.
What do they say for IMR powders for the 500 with the DGX bullets ?

Thanks

Nitro

570 grain bullets, IMR 4350, 95.7 grains (1900 fps) to 104.9 grains (2100 fps)

IMR 4007SC, 92.9 grains (1900 fps) to 102.4 (2100 fps)

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

Thanks.

Nothing for 4831 ?
I will try the 4350 loads.

Nitreo

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing for IMR 4831 but does list H 4831SC:
100.7 grains (1900 fps) to 107.4 (2000 fps)

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

Thanks again.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you shoot us what they list for the 450-400? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Randy,
See what happens when you are on the cutting edge of product development....

Guess we all need to buy the new addition ehh?

Thanks for the info.

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
Can you shoot us what they list for the 450-400? Thanks, Bob

I can, but it lists 10 different powders. Don't want to retype the entire page. Can you narrow it down to one or two types of powder?

Roscoe, your welcome. Seriously, there best manual yet. And they even left out all of those goofy charts showing bullet drops.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, didn't know anybody would try that many powders. I use rl-15, so I'm good there. How about 4831, Varget, any light 5744 loads? Any for 300 grain bullets? Thanks.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
Wow, didn't know anybody would try that many powders. I use rl-15, so I'm good there. How about 4831, Varget, any light 5744 loads? Any for 300 grain bullets? Thanks.

No light loads listed, nothing for Varget or 300 grain bullets.

IMR 4831- 67.7 to 78.3
H4831 - 69.3 to 82.3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nitro450exp, I used to use 110grs of IMR 4831 in my .500 and this would chrono between 2100 and 2150. I would suggest that you drop this load to about 106 and see the grouping.

koboko

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys:

I was just at Cabelas and came accross The Hornady #8 Reloading Manual so I grabbed it.

When I got home the first caliber I went to was the 470 Nitro Express. On page 766 it explains how good the new 500 Grain DGS & DGX bullets are in this caliber. On the next page 767 it has same bullets at 570 Grain Bullets in the black bar header.. what a screw up??? Its a 500 grain bullet NOT a 570 grain bullet!!!!

Just another example, don't even take reloading manuals as gospel, always use more than one to check a load data when ever possible. With this purchase of Hornady #8 it is my 8th DIFFERENT reloading manual, I have others by Nosler, Sierra, Hodgon, Speer, and Swift to name a few. Always get a second opinion...LOL

I all ready called Hornady and told them about the mistake, they checked it out and are going to put out a retraction warning on their web site.

Regards.. PAH..

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i got a copy for christmas!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
What's interesting to me is that Hornady doesn't seem to think R-15 is a very suitable powder even though today it's the darling of many vintage double rifle shooters. In the 470 it shows a max of 1950fps, which wouldn't be acceptable to most shooters and probably wouldn't regulate very well. It isn't listed in the 450NE but in the 450/400 3" it is listed with an acceptable velocity (1950fps).

R-15 has worked well for me in several of my doubles and has been touted as a lower pressure alternative to 4831, etc. There is definately a difference in recoil in the 450 and up guns with R-15 kicking less than the 4831s.
In Wright's book R-15 is listed as a suitable load for many of the nitro rounds??

Since Hornady is making brass I wish they had listed loads for the 450/400 3 1/4.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a copy two days ago. It is interesting that I already had all the 450-400 data. It has been making the rounds on the internet since at least Feb 2009. It always irked me that Hornady was the main driving force for hulls and ammo, but they had not released laoding data. The data I had was actually sent to someone on one of the boards, in a tabular handwritten form, with a detailed disclaimer stamp on it.

One note they made for the 450-400 struck home. I recently started reloading for the round, and while the load I used (83 gr RL19) was extremely accurate, everyround I shot had a tiny hangfire delay. I could notice this because I use electronic muffs, and I heard a distinct metallic hammer click before each round fired. Hornady notes that a good crimp is important with this round to insure reliable ignition. I hadn't done this since I was shooting a Ruger, and have found it easy to distort long skinny cases like this when crimping, enough to cause chambering problems.

That plus the fact they recommend Fed 215's, may eliminate the hangfire problem.

I too am a fan of RL15 in large bore cases. However, the load recommended was so small I was concerned about hangfires. The RL19 was a compromise to gain loading density. I have since bought a pound of VIHT N-165 to try. I measured out the recommended max charge and found it filled the case exactly to the base of 400 gr Hornady. A little could be gained by compression, if you want to push the Ruger. It obviously is not limited by pressure or velocity as are the doubles. A full charge of RL15 or RL19 may well be better with some lighter bullets. I will have to experiment to see. I would like to develop loads which have a high enough loading density to avoid filler.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote