THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle in pistol caliber?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle in pistol caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm giving some thought to building a double rifle in a small caliber as a hunting/plinker gun. One thought that I've had is to build one in a pistol caliber, probably .44 mag or .45 Colt.

I think either would work for deer or hog size game at close range and also have the advantage of being super easy to load for with the advantages of the straight wall cases, etc. With low weight and recoil it would be a great rifle for the Grandkids to transition to from 22's.

I'm sure someone else has already been there and done this, but If so, I've not seen it. I got the idea from a Marlin .44 mag lever gun that I owned years ago. A fun handy plinker.

Has anyone seen something like I'm describing? Any thoughts as to action size that would work?

No. I don't want a .45/70. I already have one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Galazan (Connecticut Shotgun MFG. Co.). They make double rifles from .22 to 470NE.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
MACD,

Bailey Bradshaw makes a fine double rifle in pistol calibers for $8,500.

Bradshaw Small bore double rifle

Or Chapuis makes a 30-30. You can get the Chapuis with 28 ga. barrels also.

Chapuis

Both of those options are under 10K. Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes.

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MACD,
I've got one in .32-20 that John Maples built for me on a Spanish .410 double action. It is probably the most fun double rifle I've got and is a hoot to shoot. Granted, not as stout as a .44 Magnum, but it's a lot quieter and has virtually no recoil.
Regards,
Hollis

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How about a traditional handgun caliber such as the .577 Snider as used in the Howdah pistols. Big heavy bullet moving slow, moderate recoil, and a step back to the old days.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
I'm giving some thought to building a double rifle in a small caliber as a hunting/plinker gun. One thought that I've had is to build one in a pistol caliber, probably .44 mag or .45 Colt.

I think either would work for deer or hog size game at close range and also have the advantage of being super easy to load for with the advantages of the straight wall cases, etc. With low weight and recoil it would be a great rifle for the Grandkids to transition to from 22's.

I'm sure someone else has already been there and done this, but If so, I've not seen it. I got the idea from a Marlin .44 mag lever gun that I owned years ago. A fun handy plinker.

Has anyone seen something like I'm describing? Any thoughts as to action size that would work?

No. I don't want a .45/70. I already have one.

I do like your idea and think you are onto something. Sorry I can not help you in your search. But with so many good rounds to pick from starting from the one's you mentioned to the 475 and 500 Linebaugh it is a great idea. I would be interested in one of these myself if cost could be kept in the $5k range. I bet with 24 inch tubes you could get 1,600-1,700 fps with a 300 grain bullet out of either the 44 mag or 45 Colt.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The idea of a pistol caliber is a good one but a .44 Mag or .45 Colt would probably require a heavier action and barrels then a small bore rifle cartridge (.22 Hornet, .32-20, .25-35, etc).

If you have one built, you should give consideration to the .25-35 Win. The Europeans call this the 6.5x52R. I used to own a little .25-35 caliber Manton & Co. double that had been rebored from .22 Savage (5.6x52R). The action was a typical Webley & Scott boxlock that was sized about right for a .410 shotgun. It was a very light and handy rifle with very, very little recoil. Ammunition is readily available in the USA and can be found marked as either .25-35 or 6.5x52R. I can think of no nicer double for a youngster, especially if you could get a set of .410 barrels to go along with it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The pistol cartridges like 44 Mag, 41 mag, and 45 long colt along with the 475 and 500 Linbaugh all work well with a 20 Gauge Browning BSS action. Butches first double rifles were built on that action and handled the 470NE easily.

I built two doubles on the BSS action, one chambered for 41 Rem Mag and the other chambered for 30-30, and I have always regretted selling them. Both were built to carry following bear/and lion dogs in New Mexico’s mountain country. Both with very short 20 inch barrels. Very handy to carry, and with plenty of power for treed Mt lion or black bear. Far more useful than a 22 hornet!

..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
We built a 44mag double for a client last year... wish I has some photos of it. It was pretty cool.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking out loud I wonder if Chapuis ever gave this idea any thought. The UGEX can be built in 9,3x74, Blaser 30R as well as 30-06. I just measured some 30R cases about 3/4 inch above the rim and they are bigger in diameter than either the 44 mag or 45 Colt at that point. Neither the 30R or the 30-06 is a low pressure round either. Seems like it could be done at a reasonable cost if there was demand for it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
How about a traditional handgun caliber such as the .577 Snider as used in the Howdah pistols. Big heavy bullet moving slow, moderate recoil, and a step back to the old days.
Cal

Cal,I've been thinking about getting Clearwater Boreing to re-bore a pair of very heavy Pedersoli barrels from .458 to 577 and chamber for 577Snider for some time now.

These barrels are quite thick at the muzzles, and will bore out for 577Snider quite easily. Clearwater is the the guy who trained under LeBounty, and has his boreing set-up to re-bore a double rifle without seperating the barrels.

This would relieve the muzzle heavy handling and make a fun double at the same time chambered for a very low pressure cartridge.

...................................................................... bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Jolly good idea, Mac. Send me a photo and details and I'll post it on my website.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
They make pistol caliber barrel inserts for 12 gauge shotguns.
Maybe make a second set of barrel for a 9,3x74 in 45 colt/454 Casull

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are on to something! I have a Pedersoli baby rolling block in .45 Colt. I easily get 1600 fps from a gas-checked cast bullet. Plenty of "pop" and 1.5" groups at 100 yards with Montana Vintage sights and 72 year old eyes. IMO the .45 Colt has more versatility than a lot of other choices...plus it's my cowboy action round. Have fun!

Eagle One

DRSS (.450 NE, .375 H&H, .45-70)
NRA Benefactor
SCI Life
SASS Life
Africa(2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I think about this the better I like the idea!

I had thought of a second barrel set for one of my other rifles (I have a 9.3 and a .45/70) and may yet decide to do that. However, one of my goals would be to have a really lightweight double, sort of a sxs mountain rifle.

One of my favorite guns is a 28 bore Zanotti that weighs 5 lbs. I'm not about to chop the barrels off that one, but If the small actions would handle the pressure of the pistol round, I think that would be a neat size.

I read somewhere that the CZ shotgun actions are made of high quality steel and are very strong. One of their 28 ga Bobwhite guns would be a reasonably economical starting point if it would be safe. Can anyone out there help me answer that? I think Clark uses the larger CZ actions as the basis for their rifles.

I guess if I decide to go ahead with this I'd better order a copy of the "Building double rifles on shotgun actions " book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a double hammer rifle built on a Midland Gun Company .410 shotgun action and chambered for .32-20. It is indeed great fun, and you will make lots of new 'friends' who want to try it. But a .45 Colt sounds good too!

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of inserts for my double 9.3X74R double rifle that allows me to shoot 9X18 Makarov ammo through the double. Sort of the same idea but costs a lot less.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD

The lightest double rifle I am aware of the the Heym Mod 26B.
This rifle in 30/06, 30R Blaser or 7x65 would make a great mountain double.

Also for those of you wanting a low recoil "deer/pig" hunting double it is also avialable in 30/30.
While not a pistol calibre, it is in the same power range as the 44 Mag [I am a big fan of a 44 Mag rifle], but it has a lot more reach.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote