THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I brought this Sexy Undocumented Italian home. . . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I brought this Sexy Undocumented Italian home. . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Her name is Bernardelli. She sparkles and with a figure like this,

you have a tough time taking your eyes off her .323 caliber 8X57JRS.

Her action is smooth and ejectors are, well, err. . . .pop right out! She is easy to handle and she does not use too much makeup!

She came without any papers; I don’t know what load she was regulated with.
I don’t know which way to turn the regulation adjustment at the muzzle?
Her rib is set up for a scope mount, so I have the people at NECG checking on that. I’m going to need the scope. Iron sights and my eyes aren’t that good these days!

She looked like she was getting severe case of cabin fever today, so 400 Nitro Express and I took her to the range. I was very surprised to find that 400 Nitro Express knew how to handle anything Italian, because he has only dated Old English Broads!

Well, at 50 yards with irons sights he and Bernardelli did this with some hand load information that I got from fellow DRSS member Rojovin. Federal 210s, RL-15 and 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. She's a sweet shooter!

I was very impressed. I think she will be happy here is the USA and enjoy traveling to Africa with Peggy and I in 2010 or 2011. In the meantime, I will see how she likes Axis deer and feral hogs!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
She sure shoots like a keeper! You let Mark fondle her? No class Rusty, No class! LOL!!! Congrats my friend, she needs to be taken out and introduced to some swine!!! Good luck with her!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
She's too pretty for your ugly mug.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are good guns. The Italian Proof Marks may help in that they might gove the bullet weight in grams. As a guide 10 grams = 154 grains.

It may say 11.7, 12.1, 12.7, 12.8 or 13.0! Most likely is probably 12.7 which is the classic 196 grain load at 726m/s (about 2380fps) made by Sellier and Bellot.

11.7 grams is about 180 grains, 12.96 grams is about 220 grains.

After that it is mostly a matter of seeing what the factory ammunition load for that weight bullet is.

B'delli have a website: www.bernardelli.com in Italian but it gives a telephone nuber and they'll most likely have an English speaker handy!

Try an ask on the European Hunting part of our Forum. There are quite a few Italian resident shooters there.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Endfieldspares,
Thank you! I just checked the proof marks and I didn't seen anything. I will recheck them when I have more time. I exchanged emails with Bernardelli. The last time the rifle was imported was 1997. That portion of the company that made this rifle is no longer in business and they have no information available. I thought that was kinda strange, but heck, I'll work it out!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Rusty if that "Eyetalian" site might help, you can translate it fairly well by putting the http into the box and setting the languages here.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Hi people,
The Italian Proof Mark are referred to what they call forced charges, or if you prefer they verify if the gun resist to a pressure taht is, if I remeber well more than the double of the standard. If I find at home a document on the Banco di Prova of Brescia I'll give to you more details.

Your groups at 50yd are more than good, my suggestion is to leave the regulation at the muzzle as it is.

For any translation, feel free to ask my help I hope to be better than any automatic translator. Wink

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Tho known for their semi-autos - you got a top of Bernardelli's - Vincenzo (there were couple of other Bernardelli's but Vincenzo was THE Bernardelli) and model 115 (top O/U model of the brand) - called EXPRESS 2000. Keep it - they don't make those anymore. thumb

P.S. See: Bernardelli Vincenzo

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice ds, concrats on finding a regulating load in it,

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, congratulations on your nice Bernardelli! Unfortunately as you already know, the real, glorious, centuries-old Vincenzo Bernardelli Company doesn't exist anymore. In the nineties they went through a serious crisis and then the firm closed down several years ago. I've heard the assets have been bought by a turkish gun manufacturer (Hatsan?); they currently manufacture only shotguns. It's a pity, when you cross the main road in Gardone Val Trompia, to see the old VB abandoned factory. In 1996/1997 I was almost decided to buy the very same gun, now I regret having given up. By the way, I don't think you will find any useful info from the proof marks. Possibly EAW manufactures some scope mounts that fit.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Rusty,

Dementia Stage IV Gap Attack occuring.

Confused

I'm sitting here squinting at your rifle photos (Very Nice, by the way!) and asking myself, "Where have I seen this rifle before?" The Sexy Racing Stripe through the action left a lasting impression when I initially saw her (in the late 80's, early 90's?) but for the life of me cannot remember When....., Where.....?

I trust we're talking 8x57IRS (squinting at photo)? Europeans tend to the heavier end of the caliber bullet weights and although the 180 BT's have delivered respectable results so far - my suggestion would be to also try the Nosler 200 gr. Accubonds; since this weight is close to the European "Universal" 196 gr. loading; they've worked well for us in other 8x57IRS that we've tinkered with.

Normally, a quality rifle such as this would be regulated with quality ammunition, so I'd suggest it was probabaly regulated with either the Norma or RWS 196 gr. loads.

I agree with enfieldspares on the Proof Marks; normally there's a bullet weight in gramms marked somewhere under the barrels?

The NEGC Guys are as good as it gets perhaps in the interim try Ernst Apel (EAW) http://www.eaw.de/eaw/index_uk.php for mounts/ring asistance - they've always been helpful on the telephone and with someone available to speak English.

Have fun with the new Boomer; a forewarning though - often Eyetalians tend to go Pear-Shaped with age but their cooking skills never deteriorate.....

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lol -- rusty is always lucky.. his new friend is a hot tall thin italian.. mine is a russian factory matron ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but Jeffe likes 'em rugged and rough! He's very proud of her! If I had a 45/70 double that shot that good I'd be proud too!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Her name is Bernardelli. She sparkles and with a figure like this,

you have a tough time taking your eyes off her .323 caliber 8X57JRS.

Her action is smooth and ejectors are, well, err. . . .pop right out! She is easy to handle and she does not use too much makeup!

She came without any papers; I don’t know what load she was regulated with.
I don’t know which way to turn the regulation adjustment at the muzzle?
Her rib is set up for a scope mount, so I have the people at NECG checking on that. I’m going to need the scope. Iron sights and my eyes aren’t that good these days!

She looked like she was getting severe case of cabin fever today, so 400 Nitro Express and I took her to the range. I was very surprised to find that 400 Nitro Express knew how to handle anything Italian, because he has only dated Old English Broads!

Well, at 50 yards with irons sights he and Bernardelli did this with some hand load information that I got from fellow DRSS member Rojovin. Federal 210s, RL-15 and 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. She's a sweet shooter!

I was very impressed. I think she will be happy here is the USA and enjoy traveling to Africa with Peggy and I in 2010 or 2011. In the meantime, I will see how she likes Axis deer and feral hogs!

Rusty: Thanks for the latest photos. I am impressed with the target. She is a keeper.
Bob

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
She is a looker for sure, although her undocumented status means your place in the Obama cabinet may be in jeopardy.

Glad to see Peggy is supportive of polygamy.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
congratulations rusty

that is a beautyfull italien, and the caliber is great.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats,
Those exotic Europeans cause us to loose all rational thought. She sure is pretty, and cooks too! Wonderful Good!
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 05 February 2009 03:53 Hide Post
She's too pretty for your ugly mug.

Gee you texas guys really know each other don't you Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odd. Seems like every time I pulled the trigger the bullet went in the bull. Hell of a little rifle for that kind of money. Triggers are good too.
-------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it swings really well, perfect on running game like wild boar, which is the reason they are made. Rusty, you're a lucky man.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Tho known for their semi-autos - you got a top of Bernardelli's - Vincenzo (there were couple of other Bernardelli's but Vincenzo was THE Bernardelli) and model 115 (top O/U model of the brand) - called EXPRESS 2000. Keep it - they don't make those anymore. thumb

P.S. See: Bernardelli Vincenzo

Yes, "Express 2000" is engraved on the bottom of the action.
-------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
somewhere in the rack i've got a 20 ga sxs with exposed hammers in sidelocks that vincenzo bernadelli made for me on a custom order deal, it is a really beautiful piece

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
do you think this would make a good starter DR for a 14yr old? how's the recoil?
I was going to start him on one of my big bores with lighter bullets but that might scare him away,he's only 160lbs yet!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BAl,
The recoil isn't bad at all. Especially when I use Bob's recipe 44.5 (Mine is 44.2) Fed 210 primer and 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip. In a heavier rifle like Bob's it is like shooting a 22 Hornet. No where near the recoil of a 9.3X74R. Call it less than a 30-06 felt recoil with my rifle off the bench.

I'd let you shoot it, but then I'd owe ya money for making ya go buy one. Bob still owe me for letting me shoot his! Eeker dancing animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

The O/U version of the double rifle is well different. Hot Italians ... well I married one. The only double I have and Shoot is an O/U! origins however are from Belgium Wink

Enjoy the darker side of doubles. Smiler

Nice find

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bal

For a kids first double take a look at the Heym 26 B either the standard model or the Schwarzkittel.
It is avialable in several calibres, but I think the 30-30 would be the best choice.
It is short [22" bbls] and light.
The reciever is factory cut for a QD mount.

My 30-30 is plenty accurate and with its low recoil, fun to shoot.

Also 30-30 ammo is very inexpensive.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys!!!!!
now my kid's gonna want two DRS rather than one!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty:

Very, very nice and a shooter to boot! Who says SEX doesn't sell.

When you tire of her, send her my way. Wink

Regards Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Picked up the same model in 12/5.6X50R combo gun.
Have you found any scope mounts? I have adapted
some heavy rimfire 1" by drilling a recoil stud in the base of the ring to match the milled recess at the breech end of the rib. We'll see if it will hold. It seems that Ruger rings would work as well with a little carefull dremel work on them.
Waiting for brass and dies, hope it shoots as well as it sounds the 8MM does.
Have a good one.

Posts: 165 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wally,
Dustin Mounts in Houston Texas has ordered through Purdey a scope mount for the rifle.
I haven't seen it yet. It sounds like your method should work. I'm ready to get her back and go shooting!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I have a Verona with a similar rib and dovetails. Huntingcat made a set of dovetail inserts that accept talley rings for mine. They work very well.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Rusty! Enjoy her forever, especially in AFRICA!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last weekend saw one of these Bernadellis at a small PA gun show, .30'06, brand new in factory hard case, asking $3500. Seller's email is ewkojeve@gmail.com.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, very nice.

Posts: 61 | Location: Great White North | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..Wonderfull rifle Rusty.. Smiler

All doublesrifle should be "first blooded" in Afrika..

Thanks for sharing Cool

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote