THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Rigby's Rising Bite - Rising Again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby's Rising Bite - Rising Again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a project that we started a couple of years ago. I revived the project several months ago. We are making good progress, don't you think? All parts have been standardized. The "Mother Gun" was handmade in 1902 creating the necessity to re-engineer all of the parts from the originals so that parts will be interchangeable, so to speak. We still have some work to do, but I wanted to share the progress to date. The "Mother Gun" is chambered in .450 Nitro Express. Based on the frame size, when available, we will offer the rifle in .450 NE, .470 NE and .500 NE. Pricing has not been set, but we are taking indications of interest...

The "Mother Gun."

Posts: 131 | Location: London | Registered: 30 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What is there to say other than WOW. It's a wonderful thing to see the Rigby name back in action....and where it belongs Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So the Bissell or Rising Bite action is supposed to be the strongest of "breaking" double rifles. What does that translate into as far as being able to run higher pressures?
It seems quite the feat of engineering.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Believe that Butch Searcy's rising bite action has a back action rather than a bar action sidelock.

Fundi can comment on the differences/strengh of the rising bite versus the screw grip; and of the back action (which H&H uses for all its double rifles) versus the bar action. I'm not sure Rigby could retain its classic dipped lock profile with a back action sidelock...

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm mistaken I held the "mother gun" last week at it's owners house...........NICE GUN!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fundi can comment on the differences/strengh of the rising bite versus the screw grip; and of the back action (which H&H uses for all its double rifles) versus the bar action.....

Is their that much point of discussing the differences/strengh of the rising bite versus the screw grip ?

It's all been written up before, either on AR or in the various bibles - doublegun journal being one and a fair bit is on the net.

Two completely different guns by different makers.

If you wanted a Rigby Double using the RBRTB,
you ordered it (until they were no longer made). If you wanted a Screw Grip, you ordered that.

The Differences between the Bar and back action are also well known - Hallowell has some good pictures for a start.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett

I would like to handled the original gun,
it looks superb.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If this is the English version of the Rigby, I gatta ask, have you guys actually produced a double rifle yet or just drawings?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is only one version of Rigby. We will have a Doll's Head Box Lock in the white at the shows this year, along with bolt rifles. As I said in my original post, this is far as we have gotten to date with the Rising Bite project, but I thought we were far enough along to share this.

Posts: 131 | Location: London | Registered: 30 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kent

I am glad you did share it, it is wonderful
to see it coming along and hopefully as it is
produced, you will add more photos.

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
So the Bissell or Rising Bite action is supposed to be the strongest of "breaking" double rifles. .

Nope!. The backaction rifle with jones underlever is the strongest...and then the Webley Longbar.
Jack Lott does a rundown on 4 actiontypes in GunDigest 1985. Read it!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The problem with information from the internet is it is hard to verify their authenticity"-- abraham lincoln.

Well I learned something new today. Thank you.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
So the strongest double is the double falling block like the one Bailey Bradshaw makes right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the strongest double is the double falling block like the one Bailey Bradshaw makes right?

Boomstick

Stick to the mainstream Double Rifle actions - which Searcy's falling block is not one of.

"The problem with information from the internet is it is hard to verify their authenticity"

And as for the above, have you ever heard of cross referencing, checking one bit of info against the other from another couple of sources or looking at who actually said it and
what cred they have on the subject ??????

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I was poking fun at myself for believing something I read not anyone here. I reserve poking fun to myself and those who know I'm joking. I do not know a lot about double rifles compared to most here but the subject I find fascinating and love to learn. I will do better at cross checking and asking more. These doubles are amazing pieces of machinery and art. I grew up in a machine shop so I know a bit about what goes into creating something as amazing as a double and appreciate it immensely. Now back to the topic at hand I wish Rigby great success for such a namesake action. Some of the loveliest rifles I have held were Rigby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Boom stick

If as you say you are poking fun at yourself, then use
emotions so we know it is humour Big Grin

"So the strongest double is the double falling block like the one Bailey Bradshaw makes right? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:

Boom stick

If as you say you are poking fun at yourself, then use
emotions so we know it is humour Big Grin

"So the strongest double is the double falling block like the one Bailey Bradshaw makes right? Wink

I would bet a considerable amount--that joke or not -that in fact baileys design is by far the strongest, and it is indisputably a double rifle

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
As to strength of doubles I was assuming that the double falling block would be the strongest. No that was not a joke but an assumption. So my question is what is the strongest action for a double?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick:
I always thought the strongest action was the old Jones under lever. But, I don't know much about modern offerings.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I sm SURE somebody will correct me..if I'm wrong, but the current Paul Dumas designed Verney-Carron action is the strongest...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
quote:
So the Bissell or Rising Bite action is supposed to be the strongest of "breaking" double rifles. .

Nope!. The backaction rifle with jones underlever is the strongest...and then the Webley Longbar.

Jens:

I think you are incorrect. By far and sway THE strongest BREAKING action is the Blaser tilting lock block action. It simply cannot come "off face."

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've always heard the Jones Underlever is the strongest. Bailey's is probably stronger but it isn't a traditional break action.

Dave, that Blaser isn't even worth mentioning in the same breath as true double rifles. barf

And to mention Blaser in a thread about a Rigby Rising Bite rifle ... bordering on heresy! barf barf

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I've always heard the Jones Underlever is the strongest. Bailey's is probably stronger but it isn't a traditional break action.

Dave, that Blaser isn't even worth mentioning in the same breath as true double rifles. barf

And to mention Blaser in a thread about a Rigby Rising Bite rifle ... bordering on heresy! barf barf

Cool

yuck jumping

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

:

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I loved my S2 and I think my R93 is the best takedown rifle on the market. I would love to have an R95 single shot in 9,3X74R.

However, bear in mind that to the best of my knowledge, the only "Rigby Rising Bite" currently in production is being made by a buy a guy named Butch Searcy in California. While I might be wrong, John Rigby & Sons has yet to produce anything but pictures of rifles and if they do eventually produce one, I can pretty much guarantee that it's going to out of our price range.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can pretty much guarantee that it's going to out of our price range.

And the market is probably not your segment
of the market anyway.

Same as H&H, Purdey, Boss aren't.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:
I can pretty much guarantee that it's going to out of our price range.

And the market is probably not your segment
of the market anyway.

Same as H&H, Purdey, Boss aren't.

That's correct and If you have the the change for a Purdey, I say you are a lucky guy. Go for it my friend.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't but many others do. Was talking to
someone yesterday and he and others have ordered new guns from H&H, Purdey et al.

Why not second hand ?

Because the prices of second hand guns
exactly the same are higher in the US
than buying new guns !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

Jens:

I think you are incorrect. By far and sway THE strongest BREAKING action is the Blaser tilting lock block action. It simple cannot come "off face."

I didn´t know that. What´s the principle construction for the Blaser?.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jens:

In and ordinary double rifle, when you fire the gun the forces of combustion push the barrels away from from the breach face. Not so with a Blaser. When you shut the Blaser, the barrels lock into a mortise and when fired, the combustion pushes the mortise back against the action.

Here is a link that shows the S2 action and explains it all.

http://africanxmag.com/the_blaser_s2_safari.htm

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave!.

Interesting. I did know Gunmakers in Ferlach have build doublerifles for .378Weatherby for full factoryloads on their specialized(look & construction) kipplauf(break barrel) actions.
To be quit frank I haven´t given the Blaser S2 a sligtest thought/consideration.
Thanks for info.

A Merry Christmas.

J.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jens:

If you look at a Blaser S2 bear this in mind. Blaser double rifle sales have never been really strong. They are just not traditional. See Todd Williams response above. Rumor has it that Blaser is about to discontinue the S2.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

To be quit frank I haven´t given the Blaser S2 a sligtest thought/consideration.

A wise policy. A wise policy!! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
craftsmanship at its finest!!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Absolutely!! The Jones underlever in either a back action or a bar action are the stongest.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

However, bear in mind that to the best of my knowledge, the only "Rigby Rising Bite" currently in production is being made by a buy a guy named Butch Searcy in California.

Not quite. Max Ern has been making Rising Bite double rifles in Europe for a long time. Butch Searcy started making his rifles more recently.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Danke schön Mehul.

Alles klar..alles in ordnung Smiler