THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Three for Cal. Help me break the addiction! With Targets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three for Cal. Help me break the addiction! With Targets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
Help! I need to break this double rifle addition! What can I do?

Here are three of my latest trashy additions this past couple of weeks for the garbage collector. However, I am honored with the following award from the Canadian guru of double rifles: the coveted Approval Seal of Shootaway--Happy Owner of Lovely English doubles. (Hint: what do the capital letters spell?) You've got it. Yes, it is the ASSHOLE award from the master himself and thusly named after him.

Top is a Rigby .350 no2 box lock ejector with 26-inch barrels and weighs 9 1/2 pounds. The ledger says it was made in 1943 for a Captain Bierstead but I feel this must be in error as the English were not making sporting rifles in the middle of WWII and any captain would have been in service and not making hunting trips. Anyway, it is a cool rifle. I have both an original and repro scope rings to fit the bases and will scope it in the spring to assist my old eyes. The bases are original. I only have one photo as it is being imported from overseas.

The second rifle is a Holland Royal .500 bpe from 1889 as made for Boyd Alexander. Boyd's son, Boyd Jr., was a naturalist, explorer, and hunter who wrote the two volumes in the photo. This Holland is a Royal back action side lock, 26-inch barrels, extended top strap, non ejector, and has very nice wood. The 3 1/4" case was charged with 5 drams of black powder. In 1910, Boyd Jr. was speared to death by the natives. Nice rifle and great history!

Third is a Jeffery 8-bore ball and shot gun. 32" barrels, weight of 15 pounds, invisible rifling, that can only be seen if the lighting is right, and made in early 1896. Patterns shot well and also shoots a single projectile accurately. The ultimate combination turkey and medium-big game gun! I picked up this 8 in a must-do trade but this rifle may be for sale soon as I have too many doubles--but I can't stop! It will be offered with two bullet moulds and 18 brass cases and be priced about 15K less than the traditional hammer, under lever 8s (although hammerless boxlock 8s are far more rare than exposed hammer 8s). If you think you may be interested, PM me and we can discuss preliminary details. Bottom photo is the 8 shown with a Jeffery 12-bore fowler to compare size. The 12 also has 32-inch barrels

There is a good chance the top pair of rifles will see Argentina and/or South Africa in 2015. The 8 may be looking for turkeys in April in the mid west if I still have her. Until then, HELP ME BREAK THIS DAMN ADDICTION! Perhaps Shootaway can help. Should I trade them for Sabattis? For SKSs? What? Until then, the coveted award from Shootaway will certainly add to the value of each piece of garbage I own.

Jim, Brett, Mike: Can you three get with Shootaway and come up with a 12-step plan to help me?

Cheers, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Stunning vintage doubles Cal.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Cal, good to see you found a nice 350No.2
Should be a good medium double for Alaska and good for just about everything in the event you move down to the lower 48.

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Cal, the first step in dealing with any addiction is to remove the source of the temptation. Before an intervention is necessary, perhaps you should put some distance between you and the rifles . . . the distance between Alaska and Texas should suffice.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I will baby sit the Rigby 350 for the duration of the therapy. When I get a certified and notarized letter from Dr. Shootaway that you have been cured of your addictive behavior regarding hoarding trash, I will personally hand deliver it to your door.

Cheers, Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Cal. Hunter Jines is on the right track, however shipping to Birmingham Alabama should be less costly than to Houston so please send the rifles my way and I will assist in your cure.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gulp! Some serious toy envy happening right now, that 350 No2 is super!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that Rigby Cal....I had to turn down an offer on a sidelocked Rigby .350 No2 some 20 years ago, just didnt have the money....ah well...cant have them all..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I am afraid double rifle addiction is incurable. I have a mild case myself - yours seems to be a more advanced case.
Anyway, great acquisitions!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...perhaps chewing on old cordite strings might bring the fever down...just my 2 cents.. Wink

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
HOLY SMOKE....where do you dig up all that old UK trash??!! Seems you must have some kind of magnetism that attracts them to you?? EH!!

WOW, nice stuff....eye candy and you can touch and shoot!! Well done...you are incurable...keep it up!! Nice post and pix too.

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Help you break the addiction? Not bloody likely! We get to ride along for free on this site, and then hopefully, someday, pick-up some of your cast-offs when you tire of them!!!
Keep finding them and picking them up. The rest of us just keep drooling, and enjoying the show!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want a double to work well and shoot well time after time and then you want it to fit,balance and look right etc...not the other way around.If you look at a rifle and it says I am an old man does this mean anything?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
You want a double to work well and shoot well time after time and then you want it to fit,balance and look right etc...not the other way around.If you look at a rifle and it says I am an old man does this mean anything?

WTF?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal

You can't fix stupid and you can't fix crazy, you definitely can't fix them if combined as in this case.

Mix in OCD, aspergers, sociopathic tendencies,a generally nasty little shithead and you've got a Shootaway. Totally unfixable.

Now on to that pile of rubbish you've acquired, there is only one cure. Charitable contributions to me has been proven effective in these cases. You can trust this medical advice as I am married to a veterinarian. My medical opinion is non impeachable.

I'll even go so far as to pay for shipping. I care about you that much Cal. I want to see you cured and living healthy. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2+1

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need a 12-step program for rifle nuts....that's for sure :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
We need a 12-step program for rifle nuts....that's for sure :-)

I agree, the meetings and therapy sessions would be a great place to buy, sell and trade. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
WTF?
Cal

Hey he's your cousin.. That side of the family tree must not have too many branches!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
WTF?
Cal

Hey he's your cousin.. That side of the family tree must not have too many branches!

I am not that idiots cousin.I dont know where you got that from.Bug Off.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not that idiots cousin.I dont know where you got that from.Bug Off.

Shootaway:
"idiots" should be idiot's
If you are going to post on my thread, please punctuate properly.
Cal
PS. Also, space after the periods, please. Correct sentence structure shows good character and proper upbringing.

Or, so you will understand better:

idikots should have the funny mark for idiot'"s. Pleaae oucntinon orperty as it sknwo good charraictor. Use a space after the mesntruation markz.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lithium, Shot-A-Wad, Lithium and Clonazepam. Will work wonders for you.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it brings any comfort I have incurable elephant fever...oh my, how will this end.. beer

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Something evil is going on here, fellas.

I made this thread about my three new doubles to show them to like-minded gents. It received a small number of views and replies.

Shootaway comes into the picture and the views and replies double. Hey, my good friend Mike Brooks ignores the post, Shootaway comes on, and Mike is now on board.

Why? What hold does the Canadian High Priest hold over us?

An explanation?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why, he is the spawn of satan, Cal. Or, at least he plays one on AR!

Dutch the Blasphemer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal those are beautiful.
If you need to visit a treatment center in TN I will hold on to them until you're cured.
As for Shootway there is one on every board, annoying at best and a nuisance to all who read.

D R S S member as of 4/30/2014.

Posts: 56 | Location: Spring Hill, TN USA | Registered: 04 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifles Cal.

You've done it again!

Received the books thank you, not allowed to peak until Christmas!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Cal

Beautiful new toys.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 really classy rifles Cal.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else curious about how Cal is able to pull off buying doubles every few months or so, sometimes two and three doubles at a time? I certainly hope the rumors that he has taken up male dancing at a Chippendales-like establishment in Willow are unfounded. Eeker

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Is anyone else curious about how Cal is able to pull off buying doubles every few months or so, sometimes two and three doubles at a time? I certainly hope the rumors that he has taken up male dancing at a Chippendales-like establishment in Willow are unfounded. Eeker

You blew my cover, Mike.
Seriously, for 25 years I was an over paid and under worked public school teacher. However, I've been retired ten years (met my goal of retiring before I was 50) to live life in the slow lane (if you call dancing, "slow").

And, Mike, to help break the addiction I make this public promise to you: if I ever buy another double rifle I will pay you $200,000 in a bearer check redeemable at the reserve bank of Zimbabwe.

Cheers, all. This thread illustrates what I love about AR.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Please just promise us not to wear your "Professional Hunter" dance outfit to Dallas. I cannot bear the thought of George trying to stuff $20 bills in your "ammo belt".

Regarding the $200,000 Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe draft, please just donate that in my name to a local charity. I already have several multi-trillion dollar Zimbabwe notes that I am just holding on to for when Zimbabwe abandons the US dollar. Gonna be living large then . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Wow!! The Trifecta of Trash!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Wow dude, get over this fixation with shootaway. it's getting hard to tell you two apart.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
. . . it's getting hard to tell you two apart.

We have a winner . . . dumbest thing I have seen on AR in a good while. Let's see, one has written several books, posts helpful advice for other double rifle owners and shooters and regularly organizes events for double rifle shooters. The other kibitzes on issues he knows nothing about, takes meaningful threads and turns them to rubbish and . . . well just check the clip at 4:10.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJines:
. . . well just check the clip at 4:10. QUOTE]

That boy just ain't right...course we all knew that... 2020

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Insanity African tourist style..

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Insanity African tourist style..

Admit it!! You work out to the same sound track.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

WTF?
Cal

"WTF" is the phrase that came to my minds as well!

Disregard Cal, he simply doesn't get it!

Looking at that rifle is like talking to a very old big game hunter who has been to see the elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa! If you listen intently you will hear the stories that can't come from more than a few people or anything else from the current generation. If that rifle could talk just think of the stories it could tell.

Those old double rifles are rich history books! I have a Westley Richards double that was sold out of the London store in 1892, that I listen to every time I handle it!

It is sad that Shootaway just doesn't get it, and I'm sorry for his lack of understanding!
....................................................................... Frowner

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might be like an old man who can't get it up.Who gives a shit to what it has to say? I shouldered my Searcy his morning knowing the story.