Notify
Tools

Superior Ammo .470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't understand "why" you would leave this ammo.

To let some poor chap with a 90 year old double of questionable parentage try some out, of course!

Actually I left it there because I usually go back to this same place each year. In the past Jo-burg has a great record of loosing my luggage. This way I always know I have ammo there. It has payed off a couple of times doing this in the past. In all honesty I tell Leon if some other hunter in his camp has the bad luck of not having his ammo arrive that hunter is welcome to some of my stash, assuming his caliber matches, but mainly I leave it there as insurance for me.

Ben

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke to Leon while I was at Dallas. Seems his Heym has developed two cracks in the tang since that double discharge incedent. He says he is going to try and get the ammo chrono'd over there.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
In the tang area of the stock? or the tang on the action? I would assume the stock....

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock tang, just behind where the safety sits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 8lb canister of IMR4831 last year but have not opened it yet. I have been using up some 1lb canisters first. I think I might reduce the load and chronograph the first few rounds out of that canister. The lot number on it is 8120108251.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I bought a new 8lb canister of IMR4831 last year but have not opened it yet. I have been using up some 1lb canisters first. I think I might reduce the load and chronograph the first few rounds out of that canister. The lot number on it is 8120108251.

Definately drop the load and re chrony.

The margin of error at the higher capacity cartriges is good
BUT I reckon from my experience, proceed with caution.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
Spoke to Leon while I was at Dallas. Seems his Heym has developed two cracks in the tang since that double discharge incedent. He says he is going to try and get the ammo chrono'd over there.

tell him not to shoot that ammo under any circumstances, get him to pull a bullet or two and weigh the load instead, with the stock allready cracked where he can see it, it can be cracked a lot worse inside, and he can hurt himself badly, belive me it is no fun to have a big caliber double crack through the hand while firing it.

just pull the bullet and weigh the load for starters.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Mac

Re your comment
"I'd change to H-4831, or H-4831sc both the same burn rate as each other, "

If these are the powders derived from ADI2213 and 2213sc, then we found they had different burn rates. In fact, one of my DR's didn't like 2213sc at all yet worked fine with 2213.

500N the slight difference between these two powders is much less than the difference between either of them and the IMR 4831. I find the H-4831sc works best in my 470NE double, however you will sometimes find regulation differences between lot numbers of the same powder, but not as much difference will be found between either of the H4831 powders as you will between the H-powder and the IMR powder.

Let me say here that this is not a reason to quit using Superior ammo! They have been around a long time making perfect ammo, but any company can make a mistake on occasion, and in all the years I've been loading, shooting, and talking to other shooters, the two instances I mentioned are the only two concerning Superior ammo in all those years, to me that is a very excellent record, but anyone can make a mistake no matter how experienced. Still I would break down a couple of those rounds and weigh the powder and bullets, check the volume of the cases against some you have had no problem with to find any differences. If there is something that becomes evident for this examination, I would send the rest to Superior, for them to find anything for themselves. All but one round, and the broken-down components, I would retain for my self! Superior needs these rounds to see if someone there made a mistake, or not!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote