THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A Couple of interesting AND POSSIBLE LOW COST DR's for sale on gunbroker
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Couple of interesting AND POSSIBLE LOW COST DR's for sale on gunbroker
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Well done and good luck. I'm glad something good came out of the posting of this thread.

Interesting that the Heym wnet for $10,480.
Not sure if that is good or bad.

Anyone care to comment ?

I e-mailed about the Heym and the seller basically knew nothing about the gun. Hard to come off ten grand for a consigned gun with no reliable information about its history. I e-mailed the serial # to Heym with some questions, but never got an answer. I'd say the other factor is the chambering. Not too many folks want a 458 WM double. If you think about it, the buyer has a 10.5 rifle that is likely on its way to the shop for rechambering. There are lots of new and used doubles available for 12-15k with a documented history in the caliber that you want that you can be shooting this weekend. For a few dollars more, you can buy one of those over this auction gun.

My .02

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
I was the lucky winner of the 470 in this auction.I look forward to getting it home and warming the barrels.

Got a date with an elephant in May and likely a second one this summer as well.

Congrats eyedoc.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Dear Eyedoc,

I hope the crowd doesn't bad-mouth your new Heym. Smiler

I wouldn't feel the immediate need or be pressured to get it rechambered to 450 NE. I had a 375 H&H Heym once and it was absolutely reliable, and I'm sure it will be the same with the 458 WM rimless case.

Your Heym, I believe, is an old one with the original ejector/extractor switch on the forend. The 458 will get 'er done. Good luck on your hunts.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Well done and good luck. I'm glad something good came out of the posting of this thread.

Interesting that the Heym wnet for $10,480.
Not sure if that is good or bad.

Anyone care to comment ?

I e-mailed about the Heym and the seller basically knew nothing about the gun. Hard to come off ten grand for a consigned gun with no reliable information about its history. I e-mailed the serial # to Heym with some questions, but never got an answer. I'd say the other factor is the chambering. Not too many folks want a 458 WM double. If you think about it, the buyer has a 10.5 rifle that is likely on its way to the shop for rechambering. There are lots of new and used doubles available for 12-15k with a documented history in the caliber that you want that you can be shooting this weekend. For a few dollars more, you can buy one of those over this auction gun.

My .02

This was exactly where I was at. If it could be had for the 8-9 range it could be a decent deal. I was figuring about 2K for a rechamber and regulate......

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Dear Eyedoc,

I hope the crowd doesn't bad-mouth your new Heym. Smiler

I wouldn't feel the immediate need or be pressured to get it rechambered to 450 NE. I had a 375 H&H Heym once and it was absolutely reliable, and I'm sure it will be the same with the 458 WM rimless case.

Your Heym, I believe, is an old one with the original ejector/extractor switch on the forend. The 458 will get 'er done. Good luck on your hunts.

Will you must be on the sauce again....He bought the Chapuis

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will you must be on the sauce again....He bought the Chapuis

That's what I get for hitting the vino before breakfast.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes-I bought the Chapuis. The 458 was being sold by the same gentleman.The reason he knew so little about the history of the gun is that he only bought it recently from the widow of his hunting buddy.The sudden and unexpected loss of his friend resulted in him losing interest in shooting and thus both rifles became expendable.

A sad tale and I hope that the story is not finished.Perhaps one day this gentleman will regain his lost enthusiasm and once again get back to shooting.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
Yes-I bought the Chapuis. The 458 was being sold by the same gentleman.The reason he knew so little about the history of the gun is that he only bought it recently from the widow of his hunting buddy.The sudden and unexpected loss of his friend resulted in him losing interest in shooting and thus both rifles became expendable.

A sad tale and I hope that the story is not finished.Perhaps one day this gentleman will regain his lost enthusiasm and once again get back to shooting.

Hi eyedoc,

How are you and MLindsay doing these days??? I ran that Chapuis a little. Did you see my initials in the bid line? Should have PM'ed me and I would have quit...did not know it was you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36644 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not look that closely.In fact ,I am a novice at on-line auctions and that is probably why I did not notice whom I was bidding against.At any rate, I feel like I got it at a very good price,if it is represented accurately.

Payment has been sent and now waiting shipment.I will let you guys know what I got when i get it.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing about this whole deal Lane is eyedoc bought it and although he paid for it,, he will let me shoot it some. He has an elephant hunt in May,, now he will have the 470 double and also a 416 Rigby to take. I had Will send him his books so he knows my 416 is a much better cartridge for elephant,hahahah. I can tell you one thing for sure,,, we will be splattering some pigs all over Central Texas in the near future when the double isn't being used across the pond. eyedoc will put it to good use and I can't wait for him to get it so we can have some fun.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote