THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    10 Bore 1844 Purdey Style Caplock Double Rifles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 Bore 1844 Purdey Style Caplock Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A big thank you for posting these videos. I look forward to them every week.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was away from my work bench for a few days this week, it’s that time of year when certain farm chores have to be done, like burning the brush piles from all the trees that got hit during the winter storms and fertilizing the hay meadows so we have feed for our livestock next winter. I did manage to get the barrel fully inlet on this rifle though.

http://stolzergunsmithing.word...-8-barrel-inletting/

http://stolzergunsmithing.wordpress.com/

Enjoy,

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work!

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Colin:

I really have been enjoying those video clips of your Prudery double rifle build and learning a lot. Thanks, its great stuff and quite an art, keep it coming. tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great video thanks for posting Colin!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Always enjoy watching your videos.Never too old to learn.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This week I finished nearly all the inletting. I’ll be putting this one aside for a little while and working on the other one to get it caught up to the same point before I start doing the stock shaping, so it will be a few weeks before there is another update.

http://stolzergunsmithing.word...ing-the-other-parts/

Enjoy,

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where does the time go? It’s been a month since I posted a new video, during that time I have done all the same work to the Maple stocked rifle as I have the Walnut rifle. And now I am busy shaping the two stocks to their proper dimensions. The weekly updates should resume for a while now until I get into the final finish work.

http://stolzergunsmithing.word...stock-rough-shaping/

Enjoy,

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything is finally ready for load development and regulation next week.

http://stolzergunsmithing.word...nal-parts-installed/

Enjoy,

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive watched this build from the start and look forward to it each week. thanx

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Always worth the wait to see your videos. Thank you as always. Question... At what point in bore size at 50 yards does rifling cross the threshold of diminishing returns? Does a 10 bore at 50 yards with round balls need rifling? Thank you.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to several Gunmakers and Hunters of the late 1800's - early 1900's they favored the smoothbores in big bores for dangerous game because they had less felt recoil than the rifles of the same caliber and at 50 yards or less they showed no real loss in accuracy. W.W. Greener even went so far as to say that he wouldn't make a 4 Bore Rifled unless it was a special request of the customer.

My experience with smoothbores and patched roundball has been pretty much the same...out to 50 yards there is no discernable difference in hunting accuracy. I've built several .62caliber(20 Bore) flintlock smoothbores that with the right load were every bit as accurate as a .62 caliber rifle at 50 yards. I would wager that from 20 bore on up shooting at 50 yards or less(Thick Skinned Dangerous Game Distance) there is no real world difference in hunting level accuracy.

Colin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. That is about what I was thinking. I was thinking about how cool a 12 bore double front stuffer one smooth and one rifled barrel would be cool and easy to get components for while being cheap to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you are describing is just about the ideal muzzleloading cape gun. Big enough for plains game and fowl all in one package.

Colin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What kind of pressure can you run? 40k PSI?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I read the proof specs(so don't quote me on this, I may be wrong) but IIRC most of the proof houses in Europe test black powder barrels to 28k PSI.

Barrel wall thickness and proper breeching have a lot to do with how much pressure a muzzleloader will handle.

Given that Muzzleloaders are an open ended system it's pretty hard to generate excessive pressures unless you don't load it properly, i.e. gap between ball and powder or a barrel obstruction, etc..

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when high quality Brit muzzleloaders were common at collector shows I saw several smoothbore doubles that were built to be used on heavy game.

Typically, they had thicker barrel walls than normal and a dovetailed rifle type front sight. I assume this was for windage adjustment. As I recall, most had one or two folding leaf rear sights with no standing sight. My guess is they were regulated for ball. A dealer told me that they were popular in India.

I've always thought that they were the earliest form of Ball & Shot guns that later became breech loading Paradox guns.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is it possible or feasible to get up to 40k psi on a muzzle loader?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I've researched Black Powder pressures so don't quote me on the numbers I could be misremembering. Lyman and also Sam Fadala did a bunch of testing on various black powder and load variations and IIRC the max that they were able to reach was somewhere around 63K PSI.

Black Powder can generate in excess of 100K PSI in a contained system(think sealed pipe bomb). People forget that BP was used for mining and blasting purposes before the advent of better explosives.

Boom Stick, what's the goal with the 40K PSI? I guess another way to ask the question is what results are you trying to achieve?

Colin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that at 40K PSI and a 12 bore should be all about is comfortable to shoot in a 10 lb gun and able to kill anything with the right projectiles. With a smooth bore and such a short pressure curve because of the diameter 40K PSI is the Goldilocks zone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin should just about be ready to start on my 10 bore double Paradox rifle. When I visited in May he was plotting...

I have a chance that it will be shootable when my lovely wife and I head back to Illinois to visit my Mother and celebrate my 64th B-day.

That would be quite the present.

Rich
living well is the best revenge

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Looking Purdey Wink tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it's been so long in between updates. Things are moving along now though.

http://stolzergunsmithing.word...olor-case-hardening/

Enjoy,

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know only slightly less than nothing about BP shooting... (have a couple of ML BP .58 rifles but that's it.)

Anyway, thinking more about the ML choke/paradox issues...are you guys speaking of using screw-in chokes which are paradox rifled? If they were designed for easy hand screw-in and screw out, seems to me it would be bone simple to take out one or both, depending on how many barrels a rifle has, put the powder and bullet down the bore, then screw the paradox/choke tube(s) back in. They could have either a screw thread, or a 1/4 turn bayonet base, perhaps?

Anyone here ever see, or better yet, actually try something like that? Or are we just TALKING THEORY AT THIS POINT?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the rifled tubes, but the concept does work for muzzle loaders.

Several years ago I built a single barrel English style flint fowler to use as a turkey gun. I was not satisfied with the patterns from the gun, which I'd had jug choked (also called recessed choking). I had the barrel drilled and tapped for standard Remchoke tubes.

In order to load, I install a cyl bore tube and after loading replace the cyl choke with a tight tube. Works great.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
I have no experience with the rifled tubes, but the concept does work for muzzle loaders.

Several years ago I built a single barrel English style flint fowler to use as a turkey gun. I was not satisfied with the patterns from the gun, which I'd had jug choked (also called recessed choking). I had the barrel drilled and tapped for standard Remchoke tubes.

In order to load, I install a cyl bore tube and after loading replace the cyl choke with a tight tube. Works great.

I believe you. But for those who want to use a bullet instead of a round ball, wouldn't bullet spin be nice to have? So why not something which is easy to put on and off and looks and fits like a choke tube, but is actually a rifled tube and makes it into a paradox gun instead of a smoothbore?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last video update for these two rifles:

http://stolzergunsmithing.word...-22-finished-rifles/

The left handed Maple stocked rifle:

More Pictures can be seen here: http://s269.photobucket.com/us...%20LH%20Maple?sort=9

The right handed walnut stocked rifle:

More pictures of this one can be seen here:http://s269.photobucket.com/us...20RH%20Walnut?sort=9

Both rifles weigh around 13.5 pounds. Both have 26" Barrels, both are iron mounted furniture, both are oil finished and Semi-Flattop Checkered.

Both are regulated for 50 yards, 250grs FFg Goex and Patched Roundball.

The maple stocked rifle is Rust Blued with CCH Locks, Hammers and Tang.
The walnut stocked rifle is Rust Browned with CCH Locks and Hammers.

Enjoy,

Colin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It is great to watch the process and a delight to see your finished works that is obvious has your blood sweat and probably tears. Congrats on a great work finished. The new owner is quite lucky.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Boom Stock, I appreciate the Compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked forward to your weekly video's. Thank you for taking the time.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for the series on this build I looked forward to it every week. the guns came out outstanding. thanx again.