THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Rising Block Single and Double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rising Block Single and Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
Well, Bailey Bradshaw has done it again - come up with an elegant and functional double rifle design.
Check this link to his web site and peruse rising block single and double rifles.

http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
He is a genius. And he makes beautiful guns. Watch that video of the single shot. It is drool worthy. I think I have to have at least one of these in my lifetime. A single shot 450 NE for sure. Just amazing.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow. So cool.

I remember his first Damascus 22 Hornet project here on AR.

I wonder why he changed from Falling block to Rising Block design.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder why he changed from Falling block to Rising Block design.

An artist can't help but to create beauty.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am underwhelmed with both the falling blocks and rising blocks he is doing.

Give me a conventional double any day!!!

His early falling blocks that I saw were lacking...... for want of a better word.

Also his failure to deliver on numerous orders was a big issue as well....

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WR500:

His early falling blocks that I saw were lacking...... for want of a better word.

I was amazed by his work. However, I do remember the complaints here about delivery, or lack of delivery. I don’t think he was to the degree of the Taksdale disaster, but people were definitely disappointed.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:

Full agreement here. Handled a couple of his guns and did not understand the fan club.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Rising block, rising barrel or falling action?
Very interesting design.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have to agree, I handled several of his guns at DSC and felt they had a homemade look to them.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I handled one of his guns at DSC years ago,it was not fully finished yet so cannot comment,it would be interesting to hear from people who received their guns,the falling block is a unique design,Biebs just sold a Ruger #1 custom job in 450-400,if that gun had two barrels? I would have been tempted Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
No comment! I'll leave this to those who like and dislike his work!

………………………………………………………………. patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
MacD37,
Your Mama must have taught you "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all".
Mine did.
Wink

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I don't see what is wrong on an open forum like this to discuss guns and their quality or lack there of. That is what I love about this place.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those things look way too complicated. Too much weight on the mechanism. Falling block seems simpler, break open even better. I guess one has to differentiate from the market but ordering one would be a hard sell for me.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Exactly my thoughts.

I have no real knowledge on the matter and so I did not comment.

Just the weight of the barrel must make the rising block design that much harder and less efficient. The falling block is such a simple light and strong design.

quote:
Originally posted by Double BC:
Those things look way too complicated. Too much weight on the mechanism. Falling block seems simpler, break open even better. I guess one has to differentiate from the market but ordering one would be a hard sell for me.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
In operating it is the same as any typical falling block. People constantly comment that it must take more force to “raise the barrel”. You aren’t raising the barrel so much as you’re lowering the action. You also have far less lever throw than any other falling block I’m aware of.

Another benefit is when open you have more access to the chamber area.

Internally it is driven by an in-line striker setup, much like a bolt gun. A very reliable setup indeed. It is also much simpler in its internal functioning than a typical falling block.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Did you watch the video? Listening to the video, it seems it is plenty strong.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Well I've never been afraid to speak my mind so I'll say it. Anyone can build a brick shithouse that is strong and I'm sorry to say those guns look like brick shit houses.
The screw heads that can be seen are sitting proud, the metal to wood fit on the double looks terrible, in the photo anyway, and why the need to build something so complicated and odd looking in its operation.

I can see Mac biting his tongue hard from here Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
In operating it is the same as any typical falling block. People constantly comment that it must take more force to “raise the barrel”. You aren’t raising the barrel so much as you’re lowering the action. You also have far less lever throw than any other falling block I’m aware of.

Another benefit is when open you have more access to the chamber area.

Internally it is driven by an in-line striker setup, much like a bolt gun. A very reliable setup indeed. It is also much simpler in its internal functioning than a typical falling block.

Bailey has had some difficulties in launching his product,many if not all who attempt custom work ,new ideas,new products,encounter what he has experienced & is experiencing now,evident by the responses on this thread.

Aaron is respected here on AR,read what he posted above,he has not picked out any negatives with the design,Like Crshelton said? if you do not have something nice to say? don't say anything,you will do your mama proud Wink
Myself? I have several DR's,SxS & O/U's,I like them all,my favorite is my 458Lott O/U,yes it's an O/U Big Grin,I could not care less if nobody else likes it,beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,Bailey has a vision,he is dedicated & passionate about what he is doing,can we just not man up & respect his effort?

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Well I've never been afraid to speak my mind so I'll say it. Anyone can build a brick shithouse that is strong and I'm sorry to say those guns look like brick shit houses.
The screw heads that can be seen are sitting proud, the metal to wood fit on the double looks terrible, in the photo anyway, and why the need to build something so complicated and odd looking in its operation.

Do they teach you any manners where you are from?

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Do they teach you any manners where you are from?

Why don't you ask that same question of all the people who have finally spoken up about the sexual abuse of children by some who hold sway in the Catholic church and those "soldiers" who protected Michael Jackson.

Sorry but I call a spade a spade. Even if a friend of mine purchased such a gun I would tell him what I thought of it. Nothing to do with manners.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
Your question has been answered with a resounding no!
LETS GET BACK TO PLANNING THE DRSS hunt.

Btw, a hunting buddy just came up with two English percussion cap double rifles with external hammers. Now he is trying to determine the calibers! If he will send me pix, I will start a thread on them.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
MacD37,
Your Mama must have taught you "If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all".
Mine did.
Wink

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment!
Now those are not my words but they go along with what my mama taught me, so I guess you are right. Of course like everyone else, I don't always follow that teaching!

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The complaints regarding fit and finish on the double rifle would seem premature to me.

I see an unfinished rifle in the white with perhaps a wiped down stock to show off a nice piece of wood.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I believe that AR is a great platform for honest discussion as long as it does not get personal and abusive.

The comments about the rifle are just that - someone's opinion. It is not directed at anyone in particular and it is not abusive. The rest of us are free to agree or not.

It would be sad if we just praised and glorified everything and allowed less knowledgeable people to make uninformed mistakes only because someone else did not point out an obvious issue that they were aware of.

I know that Aaron Little has a good reputation and he worked with Bailey Bradshaw earlier. Nothing wrong with that. In the old British gun trade that was very common. We just need to be aware of that connection so that we can also ask Aaron more specific questions if necessary.

There are many gunmakers in the past who produced bad work. There used to be a top end collector of DRs here on AR who used to say that any H&H double rifle above 375 or 400 cal would shoot off face in 50 shots. Not sure how accurate that assessment was. That guy was a Hollywood big shot and had the resources to buy such high end guns regularly.

I think some of the British doubles made in the 1950 (after WW2) did not come out as well as those from the 1930s.

Today H&H and Purdey do not seem to have a quality difference compared to Wesley Richards though prices are more than double. Those in the know seem to rate Harman & Weise at a much higher standard.

Most of us here would not have a clue about what to look for and what to recognise in such guns.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm not a gunsmith and don't even turn the screws of my doubles. I can't comment except to say that when I see a new design*** in (double) rifles I say to myself "If this is a good and viable design the Brits would have produced it 120+ years ago." I guess that's why I don't look at, or own anything, post WWII.
Cal

bolt action doubles
rotary barrel doubles
side swing open doubles
removable breech doubles
laser or dot optics
muzzle porting doubles
Kreighoff safely contraption
anything Blaser
and there are more, I'm sure
and now this...

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hey Cal.
Have English cars changed since 1900?

Wink

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Cal.
Have English cars changed since 1900? Wink

Answer: no....they have not. barf
A great thing that British gunmaking and aircraft were light years ahead of automaking (& cuisine) in quality and design.
“....If Lucas electrics and Dunlop rubber were good enough for great great grandfather, by god they are good enough for me!....”

That said, seems like most of the extant English make are now owned/run by the Germans who make really good “motorcars”.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of English sports cars back in the 60s and they were good enough for me in college, but now I prefer somewhat more sophisticated autos and there are some now with A/C, no air leaks, available services. etc.

There are also other makes of sports cars from which to choose and many sport sedans that are really nice. Actually, did not Ford sell Jag to a Chinese company? Who can tell now days?

Oh, and Redstone - you actually like British Cuisine? It must have changed dramatically in the last decade or so. I have worked and vacationed there and I must confess that my favorite food was from an American chain restaurant in London where I could buy the exact same food with the price in pounds rather than $$. Yes, I survived the daily fare, but only with a heavy dose of dark ale at dinner. Their dark beer and ale was the highlight food of my UK experience. It was much like our Texas Shiner dark beer.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, and Redstone - you actually like British Cuisine? It must have changed dramatically in the last decade or so.

I think you misread what he was saying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have come appreciate the full English Breakfast, though how exactly they can make a sausage so bland does remain a mystery to me.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
skb,
If you are ever at the Kauai Marriott, try the full American Breakfast.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I read it again and agree with you. I misread it the first time.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say that I was very intrigued years ago when Bailey posted up pictures of a rifle he built from damascus steel.

He had some growing pains and delivery issues. I still think he is honest and trying to do a great job at a reasonable price. There is no doubt in my mind he has the ability to create very good rifles.

That being said, time will tell once a few of his rifles are in the hands of customers if the fit, finish and function are up to snuff. I am betting we will read more about them, reviews, in the near future.

AKMATT

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote