THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    January 2007 DRSS Hunt - Brady, Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2007 DRSS Hunt - Brady, Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt, I'm going to try hard to make the next one.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bal
Way to go.
We need to do another hunt at 4K in March or April befort TX turkey season starts.

Bal, when we going to Zim.

WE should do a DRSS hunt in Zimbabwe.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Tony,
keep me posted as it all develops,the 4K in march or april sounds real good!

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
looks like an awesome time was had...
did Mississippian bring his 600 OK?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was thinking of going there for 4-5 days around march 24th for my birthday if thats the case i may just see when you guy will be there and stay for 4-5 days when ever that is. that way i can meet up with yas.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
looks like an awesome time was had...
did Mississippian bring his 600 OK?

Yes it was there. I whipped it out after Katta finished his PH course. Bal fired it once and we put it away to prepare for the hunt. I took the 416 the first evening because I was in a box stand. The second day I fired it several times behind the lodge then took it hunting that evening from a ground blind. Didnt get a shot! Mad I had it loaded with woodliegh 900 gr softs over 168 gr 7828 for about 2100fps. I now have a case of Wayne Doudna's cast bullets so I will be sure and bring them to the next hunt along with reloading accessories.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handled and took a good look at Mississipians 600OK.

He can give exact details.

It is a straight line feed, the action is smooth.
The metal finish on reciever and barrel is well done.

The stock looks very good, nice piece of wood, the wood to metal fit is very good.

I think he told me the rifle was done by AHR.

It was a very nice rifle, they do excellent work.

I was standing near him when he shot a fairly big tree from about 12 yards or so with a soft point. About 2 cords of wood was blown back toward us and nearly knocked us down. Eeker Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
NE450NO2 pretty much summed it up. I just wished the weather would have been more pleasant so we could have shot more.

quote:
However my favorite was Brain 1's "Featherweight" Merkel in 9,3x74R.

I was also very fond of this rifle but could have been equally satisfied with MacD37's heavier version of the same rifle.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A "standard" Merkel or the Chapuis in 9,3x74R are both great doubles.

I have a Chapuis and I shot it and Macs "standard 9,3 side by side with Brain1's Featherweight Merkel.

The "featherweight" does have a little bit more recoil, but I have this "Thang" for short lightweight rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS, those of you who are "Bolt Rifle Trash", and are thinking about getting a CZ might think about having AHR give it a "work over".

I was impressed with the work on Mississippian's 600OK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
as much as i like double rifles iv made a complete turn around and much prefer my bolt actions now.

not only that but i now owen two r93's thanks for letting me shoot your toney ever since i shot yours i had to have a 1 or 2 of my owen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
as much as i like double rifles iv made a complete turn around and much prefer my bolt actions now.

Doubling a 577 Nitro Express will do that to you... Eeker

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my 2 bore kick much harder......a 3500 grain ball and 550 grains of gun powder....

it surprized the hell outta me thats all.

but thats what a left handed shooter gets for trying to shoot a right handed rifle that and the fact im shorter than 577 and my lop is shorter.

i had to strech out pretty good to get at them triggers.

posted Hide Post
Dear DRSS Members
I would like to thank you all for your great hospitality and the privilege to attend your DRSS shoot. The companionship and comrade was out of this world. What an experience it was shooting and hunting in sub zero temperatures. What do you think, will the guys believe me when I tell them I hunted with a double rifle in snow...... The same passion that led to the humble beginnings of BASA is binding you all - shooting double rifles and hunting. It was wonderful to see so many good quality double rifles on the shoot/hunt that are used and not just sitting on the shelf as a collectors piece.

After several complaints from the local community, Katzke Hunting Safaris and the Brady Old Age Home would like to start a DRSS Disaster Fund. The funds would go to the re-boreing of some of its members and to buy some protecting hearing aid for innocent members sharing rooms with these that need to be re-bored. Please use these funds wisely as you all know who needs it the most! Some of it can be spent on buying extra warm clothing for these who needs it most.......... please get large sizes as well!

Do we need to replant some of the trees on the ranch????

Baie dankie (buy a donkey) for sharing your passion and lets keep in touch. Remember you all are always welcome at my campfire!!!!

Katte

Posts: 19 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Katte,
It was a pleasure to hunt with you. I had my reservations about going on a hunt with people I don't really know and have only talked to via internet. I will tell you that I feel like I have made a bunch of new friends for life. Everybody there was first class. The guns are fun but thay are more fun when you can share them with good people. I hope this will not be the last time our paths cross.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Katte,
It was a pleasure to hunt with you. I had my reservations about going on a hunt with people I don't really know and have only talked to via internet. I will tell you that I feel like I have made a bunch of new friends for life. Everybody there was first class. The guns are fun but thay are more fun when you can share them with good people. I hope this will not be the last time our paths cross.

My thoughts exactly! I am looking forward to the next meeting!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Katte,
What a wonderful time having you at our hunt! The PH shooting event you staged was great fun!

I look forward to seeing you again and sharing another hunt!

Baie dankie

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had my reservations about going on a hunt with people I don't really know and have only talked to via internet.

Brian:

You are not the first person to say that prior to the hunt, and you will NOT be the last person to share similar thoughts AFTER you have hunted with us.

I have spoken with Brad (our host/guide) after the hunt and he said that we are welcomed any time. He said that he has had groups come in before and there was always a person or two who were an a$$hole. But he said that NOT ONE PERSON at our hunt showed any disrespect to anyone else. He said that is rare (from his POV).

I told him that gentlemanly conduct is heart of who we are and that if ANYONE (me included) was out of line that that person would not be invited back. And I mean that.

Let me ask you this, how often during this past hunt did you hear the phrase, "thank you, sir." "I appreciate that, sir?"

That is what we are all about.

Sure, some of us have crossed swords in the past on AR, in a cyber environment. But at the hunt, we leave EVERYTHING at home and only bring our humor, our professionalism and our respect with us.

Gentlemen, I am honored to have hunted with you, to have broken bread with you, to have shared a drink with you, to have laughed with you and to have learned from you. I look forward to each of these DRSS events because I know great memories will be shared with GREAT people.

Until the next hunt, stay safe and stay on target.

(Especially you, Bill74, you G*d-damn show off Wink )

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Katte, you WILL be at another DRSS! I'm so glad to have met you and to have made a new friend.

We will hunt together sometime...if not on this side of the pond, then on your side!

Waidmannsheil!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Katte,
Paul has so eloquently put into words what we all feel,I have never met a better bunch of people,I have never felt so much at home with people that I have only met once before,welcome to the DRSS,SOMETHING ABOUT DOUBLES BRINGS OUT THE VERY BEST IN US clap

Paul,
after your b--ch blew up my shoulder,I had to do something to reclaim the family honor,man I wish I could go with you for the elephant hunt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This DRSS hunt/shoot was truely an international event.

We had Katte from South Africa, one of the officials of the BASA, who publish the Big Bore Journal, Katte it was a pleasure to meet you i hope you come to another DRSS event.

We also had Dale DesFountain [Donza] a PH from Brooklands Safaris in Zimbabwe [I have done 2 Safaris with him], and Ian Lewis also of Zimbabwe, the Videoagrapher who has done all 3 of my Safaris.

WE also had DRSS members from all over the US.

We had a great time, and a pretty good hunt, especially when you consider the weather.

We shot some nice exotics and some very good pigs.
We got to shoot and handle some very nice Doubles, and some nice Bolt Rifle Trash Big Grin

I was impressed with the quality of Mississipians AHR 600OK. It is the nicesest American made bolt [CZ action] that I have seen in a long time.

Still my favorite rifle I saw at the event was Brain1's "Featherweight" Merkel 9,3x74R.

It is the Double rifle equivalent of a Remington Model 7, SAKO Handy Rifle, Blaser R 93 Tracker, ie, a short, light weight, handy, hunting rifle, perfect for hunting.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
YA'LL come on back now, ye heah! Enjoyed it and can't wait till the next one! cheers beer thumb wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I guess we can safely say, that the DRSS is now an International Organization!
My thanks to Katte, for a great time with the shoot he put together!
As my Son has stated earlier, my sentements exactly!
I had as much fun seeing everyone again as I did meeting Katte, Donza, Ian, Kelly, Brain1, sorry Brain1 I'm bad with names!
I wish you all good health and happy hunting!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't any of you guys have more photos from the shoot and/or hunt and harvest?????

577NitroExpress

posted Hide Post
Paul
I wil mail them to your PM, so you can have them posted!
Happy Hunting
Katte

Posts: 19 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, we forgot to mention that there was no winner of the "Martinez Award" during this hunt.

None of the hogs taken still had their umbilical cords attached, and all were bigger than a Chihuahua.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those of us who planned to attend but couldn't make it are green with envy for those who did get there.

i tried but had flights cancelled on two consecutive days

SOOOO HOW ABOUT PLANNING ANOTHER ONE ??

577 nitro, you seem to be the spearhead or driver ..... what about it ?

or if you don't wish tco-ordinate it maybe somebody else will step up.

comments, suggestions appreciated.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. Something to that effect was mentioned.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys:

Yeah, I'm sorry guys couldn't get to the hunt - it was a great time with great people.

I was talking to the ranch to see if we could do another hunt in late March of this year, but there are no openings from now to then - Turkey season starts in late March and they do not book hog hunters the same time they do other hunters.

Brad at the ranch said he could do something in the summer, but that the hunting may not be too enjoyable as it is conducted in stands and the stands get "very hot."

We might just be looking at doing another hunt after January 1, 2008.

I'll do some more research and see what I can find for the group. I will post my findings.

But if anyone wants to try to identify a ranch where we can hunt hogs AND the ranch can:

Accomodate more than 18 sleeping slots for the group and have a local motel close by;

Give us a good rate for the hunt/lodging/hogs;

Will allow us a place on the property to blast away at targets; and

Have accomodations for socializing/cooking/eating.

If anyone has any leads, please PM me.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If anyone has any leads, please PM me.

Did you call the person I PM'd you about in May?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles:

Was it Big Woods? If so, yes, I did, but he was a little more expensive that other places we found for equal services.

I recall calling two places that were recommended, but the I forget the name of the second one.

And I can't find the old PM. I must have deleted it.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Not Big Woods -- I'll send it again. It may not work out but is worth a call if you did not already try it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Maybe Tony can find a place to hunt at the Hog Expo this weekend?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
I will give it a hard look.

It is a shame that we cannot go back to the 4K.
That place was just about perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Rusty
I will give it a hard look.

It is a shame that we cannot go back to the 4K.
That place was just about perfect.

Agreed! But it is not all doom and gloom - we can go back, just not until the summer or after the first of the year.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can hunt in June. Shorts and a short sleeved shirt works for me.

Don't they make a solar powered A/C unit for pop up ground blinds? Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the way Rusty thinks.

June looks real good to me. By then I should have my 470 and January will seem a long way off.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Agreed, I'm likeing June as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
I would'nt mind june at all!

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
June is no good for me! Mad Someone has to take care of the cotton crop so yall can have your BVD's! Big Grin