THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    January 2007 DRSS Hunt - Brady, Texas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 2007 DRSS Hunt - Brady, Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Well, I figured I might as well start the official thread for the recent DRSS Hunt/Shoot.

Members of the Double Rifle Shooters Society (DRSS) met at the 4K Ranch and Farm Operation located just outside the city of Brady, Texas.

Our host, Brad Woodard, was an exceptional young man who went above and beyond to accomodate all of the DRSS members in camp. Additionally, the other two guides who helped us, Matthew McWilliams and his father, were also exceptional in every respect - and I convinced them to take a ride on my .577 NE! And they handled it like MEN and supported the group's view that the recoil of the .577 NE "ain't that bad."

The group also decided early on to hire a camp cook, whom Brad privided, and she provided EXCEPTIONAL meals and snacks throughout the day. new_guy hunted the 4K Ranch a number of months prior to our hunt, harvested an Oryx and Axis Deer, and donated the meat to the DRSS hunt; the cook prepared the game meat for each of our meals and man was it good!

Due to the weather throughout Texas, we had trouble getting to camp. My original flight into DFW on Sunday evening was cancelled, but I was able to get on another flight. Bill74 made it into DFW on Sunday evening, but his two DRs didn't; they didn't arrive until 2:00 PM on Monday afternoon.

Myself and Doc52 met new_guy and the Heym Representative, Christian, in Dallas and made our way to camp. We left at 8:30 AM, stopped for lunch on the way, and reached camp at 2:00 PM. Rusty, Brain1 and his gunsmith were already in camp. The rest of the guys started trickeling into camp throughout the afternoon and evening.

4K Ranch had two buildings for use to use. The first building was seperated into five sleeping units with a number of beds, baths and closets. The main house, which served as our social area, had large tables, chairs, a bar area (most important) with sink and ice maker, a full kitchen, dining areas, pool table, big screen TV and a WARM fire place (that was used often due to the freezing temps.)

Inside the main Social Room:

On Monday night, Rusty, Brain1 and myself headed out to the high fenced property (where the ranch house was) to hunt exotics. Immediately upon being placed into my own elevated stand, I saw three whitetail does heading to the feeder and a nice black buck. Finally an Axis doe appeared and after a number of shots from Rusty's beautiful custom .404 Jefferey, I had an Axis doe on the ground. (Later, upon closer inspection the doe turned out to me a very young buck who had no nubs on his head nor was his testicles distended.)

Rusty also harved an Axis Doe and Brain1 harvested an Axis Does and a Black Buck Doe.

When we returned to the main ranch house, most of the other guys had arrived into camp and we spent the remainder of of the evening warming up, eating and socializing.

On Tuesday, due to the weather, we decided to forego hunting in the early morning, but do a longer hunt in the evening.

(If someone has photos of the shooting session, please post them as I did not take any photos of that session.)

Late morning the group decided to do some range time with their DRs and big bore bolt guns. Jim Manion's guest at the DRSS, Mr. Eduard "Katta" Katzke, is the president of the Big Bore Association of South Africa (BASA) and is a licensed Professional Hunter in a number of African Countries and Outfitter. He brought with him large targets of African game animals and organized a six shot (with numerous reloads) shooting contest for the shooters.

There were six targets positions between and behind numerous trees and bushes to help simulate shooting conditions during a real hunt.

Starting from Position A, Katta instructed the shooters to fire one bullet at the far right target (of a warthog). After the first shot, the shooter moved approximately 15 feet to their left (Position B) and shoot a second shot at the far left target of an Impala (behind some trees).

After the second shot, the shooter did a reload (in their DRs) and take a shot at the second target from the left (also an Impala).

After the third shot, Katta instructed the shooter to reload their right barrel so they have two live rounds in the barrels as they were running forward towards the targets to Position C.

Immediately in front of Position C, there were three Cape Buffalo Target - the first one was position furthest in the back on the right side. The second Cape Buffalo target was positioned to the left of the furthest target, but about 8 feet closer to the shooter. The third and final cape buffalo target was positioned to the left of both other targets at a distance of approximately 10 feet from shooter. The positions of these targets were designed to simulate a Cape Buffalo Charge.

Once the shooter got to Position C, they took one shot at the furthest Cape Buffalo target in the heart region. The second shot at the middle target was also shot into the heart area. After the first two shots were taken, a final reload was ordered and a shot was placed into the brain region of the Cape Buffalo target closest to the shooter.

This active shooting scenario that Katta put the shooters through was wonderful and offered everyone to put their DRs through shooting scenarios that would be encountered while hunting.

There were a number of memorable moments at the shoot and I will let other posters share their experiences. But I will let you know that someone doubled the .577 NE!

After the shooting session, the group retired to the main lodge to warm up and have lunch which consisted of a taco soup with ground Axis Does meat and ham and cheese sandwiches.

At 1:30, 11 hunters piled into the three guides' vehicles and headed out to the large ranch (about a 30 minutes drive) and was placed into stands. My guide was Matthew and I hunted with Rusty, Katta and the Christian from Heym. Christian was hunting from an elevated blind with a Heym bolt gun in .300 Win Mag; Katta hunted from a ground blind with a .470 NE DR; Rusty also hunted from a ground blind with a .450/400 DR and a .404 Jefferey bolt gun; and I hunted in a ground blind with my .577 NE DR.

I was the last person to be dropped off from our group. After getting into the blind, I head some shots around 3:30 PM from where we dropped Rusty off.

At 4:30, I caught movement off to my right. A boar was making its way towards the spread corn. I watched the boar for about 10 minutes. During that time I caught a few views of his tusks and decided that I was going to shoot him.

He was standing about 45 yards from my blind facing away from me, giving me a good quartering shot.

Not wanting to put a 750 grain bullet through the big meaty part of his front shoulder I aimed low on his front chest and squeezed the front trigger.

Shooting the .577 NE from a standing position isn't bad. But sitting on your knees, holding the gun out the opening of the blind ain't as nice.

I aimed a little too low on my first shot and hit the boar through both of his "elbos" on his front legs. He dropped immediatley to the ground. Coming out of the recoil, I got my sight picture back on him and watched him rise on his back feet. I put the second bullet immediately behind his shoulder and into his chest cavity.

The big boy dropped right into his tracks and after about 3 second I saw a big vent of warm air rise out of the impact point. He didn't move any more after that.

I got out of the blind and went to check him out. It really started to snow at that point, but I did get some photos. I looked, but could not recover the bullet.

I returned to the blind and waited to see if anything else would come around, but didn't see anything for the rest of the hunting time. A little after 6:00, Matthew returned and picked me up.

Rusty accounted for two hogs.

Katta also bagged two hogs.

Christian bagged one hog.

Not a bad haul!!!!!

When we returned to camp, we unloaded the hogs as the other hunters returned and the stories of our hunts were shared with each other.

Brain1 snapped some photos of Whitetails he saw while on stand and below are some photos of them:

In all, I believe 11 hunters bagged 16 hogs that night (please correct this number if I am mistaken) with Mississippian bagging the biggest one at 280 lbs!!!!!

(Other guys posted photos so I hope they will post them.)

We returned to the lodge, ate another wonderful meal and socialized the rest of the evening.

The next morning we awoke to a good amount of snow on the ground and Doc52, Christian and I decided to head back to DFW airport sooner rather than later. The hunt was over, but the memories are going to last a LONG time.

On Wednesday evening six more hogs were harvested!

Again, the 4K Ranch was better than we expected and the guides put us onto A LOT of game! The DRSS HIGHLY recommends this place for anyone looking for a Whitetail, Exotic or Hog Hunt!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post

Sounds like you guys had a GREAT time. To bad I couldn't stick around longer for the hunt/shoot.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report -- you are all to be commended for hunting in tough conditions (okay I consider those conditions to be tough ones for a fun hunt).

Looking forward to the pictures!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys had a great time....I wish I could have made the trip.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I have video of most of the shoot. I also have some pictures of that nasty white stuff that was all over the ground when we woke up yesterday. I will download them and "try" to get them posted. If I can't I will email them to you or one of the other guys to help get them posted.
Brain1

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1259 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the few photos I have uploaded now. Will post them within the hour.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, that's a nice summary of your winter fun-n-games. Wish I could do that but I gotta drive through that stuff for a living till I don't need to work anymore.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Notice the hog in the photo. 577 shot the foot off with the 577. He said he belives that is the best way to keep them from running off.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1259 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for adding the pictures. Is that the exit side on the hog?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Thanks for adding the pictures. Is that the exit side on the hog?

Nope. That's the entrance point.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

Nope. That's the entrance point.

Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still posting pictures, so please check back - it is just taking awhile.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats on the sucessful DRSS shoot and hunt.... makes me sick that i was 75 miles away, snowed and iced in....let's schedule the next get-together for HURRICANE SEASON stir stir... i'm already making plans for something that has a 4-wheel-drive!!!!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2834 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is Mississippian with his hog, the biggest of the group, that tipped the scales at 280 lbs!

Hopefully when he returns home from the trip he will share with us the story of that hog.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to add my thanks to Paul, Chris and others for putting together another great time for the DRSS. Chris spent a lot of time on the road between Camp and the Brady Wal-Mart!
I think it is safe to say that the DRSS has found it's self a home at the 4K Ranch in Brady.

The hunting was great! We were treated with cordiality by our hosts and feasted to some wonderful comfort cooking by Charlotte Albrecht.
Our annual double shooting event has forever changed thanks to our PH shooting instructor "Katta" Katake. We all had a blast!

Here is the results of the first shot fired at this years event. 577NitroExpress, aka Woody, and his Searcy resulted in this.

What used to be a stand of mesquite trees behind our targets!

However, the best part of this whole hunt was for me, to be once again, amongst some of the finest folks I have ever met! It warms my soul to see good friends again, and to make the acquaintance of new friends.

I shutter to think how plain my life would have been had I not had the great pleasure of fellowship with such as we have in the DRSS.

Thanks to each of you for enriching my life so!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Don't knock it until you've tried it... the "Russian" hat definitely helped with the "Russian" boar. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Nice Chris, KGB perhaps?

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc52:
KGB perhaps?

FHWE... (Furry Hat, Warm Ears)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Nice Boar! How did everyone make out?

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Mark, Ball and I brought 4 back the second evening, with Bal scoring on 2.

We added a total of 4 new members to the doubling doublers in 4 different calibers. The Searcy 577 (Mean Bitch) claimed its second victim, and doubles in 9.3 X 74 (two), 450/400 and I believe the 500 NE rounded out the doubling merriment.

Of course, wearing multiple layers of clothing added some LOP which may have contributed to the double-rama.

The 577 NE also continued its assault on native trees, which resulted in a moniker being bestowed on the younger owner, "Woody".

Also had another nickname handed out to a member by the guides in camp. I can't remember the Spanish name, but in English it is "White Sow" (sounds better in Spanish). Seems we had one member from the north SWEAR he slew a white hog (the mythical sacred white hog of the HIll Country). Guides got all excited. When they tracked and found the deceased porker, it had magically turned brown.

Despite the weather we had a great time. Like Rusty said elsewhere, the best people around.

Katte had a great time, so much so that he is going to try to make one of ouor shoots later this year or early next year. And maybe next time when I tell him to bring some warm clothes, he will bring more than a fleece pullover. Good thing he fit into my extra cold weather gear. I think we heard the phrase "bloody cold" a few hundred times!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
atte had a great time, so much so that he is going to try to make one of ouor shoots later this year or early next year. And maybe next time when I tell him to bring some warm clothes, he will bring more than a fleece pullover. Good thing he fit into my extra cold weather gear. I think we heard the phrase "bloody cold" a few hundred times!

jumping I talked to Tony (NE 450 No2)to see if they got back to Dallas OK,from driveing that 230 miles on ice! He and Katta, and the other African were at the big Cabela's store buying warm cloths! clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac
Actually Katta was not with us. I had Donza and Ian.
No they were not buyting warm clothes, they were buying fishing gear.

This is the third time they have gone shooting with me around the DSC, and it has been cold and or rain/snow each time.

You would think they would have some warm clothes....

We all did have a good hunt/time. Congratulations to Mississippian on his big hog,
and to Bill 74 on his FIVE hogs.... he is a Natural Born Killer. Big Grin

Bal did you get any of them with your FA 475?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mac

I stand corrected!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I wanna thank you all for another memorable experience,it sure was a lot of fun from the time that I was picked up at the airport by 577,Doc $ Al to the last night at the lodge where we whooped it up one last time!
I have 5 hogs coming back to Michigan,what a hoot!
I also hold now the current record of doubling the big & mean bi..h that 577 is going out with,not only did I double it I also blew up the biggest tree!
I also need to add,the people that left early were sorely missed,as I enjoyed meeting every one of you & loved every moment that was spent at camp.
This was the first time for my 470 Merkel,it was a blast shooting the hogs with my gun loaded up with cast bullets,very accurate & quick to the shoulder,I was very satisfied with the way things went,I was also the legendary hunter of the white sow,it was explained to me that what I thought was white was proabably snow in the low light,it sure got the guide going for a while though as we followed the blood trail in the dark!
Big Grin

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Sounds like alot of fun guys. Now, let's hear the story of the .577 doubling.
Also, it appears that the largest hog was hammered by a bolt gun. How can this happen? stir

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Bill74,
Don't forget the 376 dies and stuff you have. I think I may have found a gun to shoot it.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
Sounds like alot of fun guys. Now, let's hear the story of the .577 doubling.
Also, it appears that the largest hog was hammered by a bolt gun. How can this happen? stir

Our very own Bill74 was the .577 "Doubler" this time, so I'll let him tell about "the RIDE!"

Mississippian shot the largest hog because he does not own a DR. The DRSS is not limited to guys who own DRs, and our hunts are open to anyone who has an interest in DRs. Mississippian attended because he is thinking about buying a DR and wanted to come to the few places in the world where a person can see, hold, handle and SHOOT various makes, models and calibers of DRs.

I would venture a guess that we will hear from Mississippian sometime in the future saying he took the plunge and has a DR of his own.

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
577 nitro could i get the contact info for the 4k ranch i would like to book a hunt there.

and im definitly coming to the next shoot.....with my 505 of course. and a few other toys for you guys to play with.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Being the newest "Doubler",I feel kind of special ha ha,
I kind of picked up a couple of new names this hunt,Doubler & white sow,oh the fame.... pissers
The ride you ask? well I pointed the gun,pulled the trigger & then was almost knocked senseless,my finger was nearly twice the size where the trigger guard hit it,& the tree behind the target had kind of disappeared,the target itself was no longer upwards,the picture of the cape buffalo did not look very happy!
I felt a wild desire to laugh my head off,which I proceeded to do,much to my surprise the whole gang joined in,although I am still trying to figure out if they were laughing with me or at me Mad
It was not over yet,Mississippian strolled over & asked me whether I wanted to shoot his 600 overkill? I thought he was joking & said no problem bring it on,I nearly crapped my pants when he comes over next with a big mother of a bolt gun,15 -16 lbs with a muzzle break the likes of which I have never seen on a gun designed to be shot by a human,it looked like one of them anti-tank weapons Eeker,this one was going to finish what the 577 started Frowner,saying a silent prayer I took the monster & pointed it,suddenly I heard a sharp command just hold it right there,one of our African friends was taking a picture,he wanted to show people at home what insane things we do up here,I acted cool Cool my arms started trembling from holding the gun up,finally after getting the all clear now with my picture in African history,I closed my eyes figuring it would'nt matter anyways held on to the gun real tight & pulled the trigger!thankfully this thing had only one barrel,putting a brave smile on my face I turned around to show how easy it had been to shoot Roll Eyes,slowly I walked back to the line,it was about as fast as I could go with all the pain !it was over,would I do it again? absolutely!
The next time though,I am going to adjust myself better to the gun if the length of pull is longer than what I am used to.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for a great experience! Im glad I decided to press on to Brady regardless of the weather! Everyone was very friendly and generous with sharing their rifles,ammunition and knowledge. 4K ranch was an excellent choice for the meeting and thanks to all those involved with the planning. I just wish it was southeast of Dallas so it would be closer to home! Yall can certainly count on me attending future meetings as my work schdule will allow! I really enjoyed visiting with everyone, particularly those who chose to stay up until 3 am every morning! I was most impressed with NE450No2's ability to sit at the table, participate in the conversation and sleep at the same time! I wish I had brought my video camera!

I hit the ground running when I got home so whenever things slow down I will make available my pictures taken at 4K. Thanks again!!!!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Bal,

Which was worse, doubling the 577 or shooting the 600 OK?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Keith,
hard to say,but if you had to do it a few times,they both would'nt be that scary!
the only issue that I had with both guns was that they both did not fit me that well!

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Bal, I enjoyed shooting Doc52's 577NE. thumb So much so, I only pulled one trigger at a time, to make my session last longer. banana

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I was standing behind Bill74 during the 577 ride and must say he handled it very well! The 600 was loaded mildly with 168gr of 7828 which on my chrono shows just under 2100fps. I fired the 577 (one barrel, not both!!) and must say it was very similar in recoil to the 600. Both are manageable.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so no one has any contact info for the ranch............

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
No problem,I have'nt forgotten,just give me a couple of days to get my head together & I will get it all out to you,I got home late night thursday,went to work today all day & am working straight through till tuesday!
PM me if I forget or something!
Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Bill74,
Don't forget the 376 dies and stuff you have. I think I may have found a gun to shoot it.

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Keith,
you gotta have b..lls to shoot em both together jumping
Bal.
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Bal, I enjoyed shooting Doc52's 577NE. thumb So much so, I only pulled one trigger at a time, to make my session last longer. banana

Keith

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Steve,
here is a phone number that was provided to me when I was looking for contact info for the ranch.

325-243-5454
QUOTE]Originally posted by 700 nitro:
so no one has any contact info for the ranch............[/QUOTE]

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the number i will be calling them hopfully tomorrow to set up a trip for my birthday in march im thinking a 3-4 day hog hunt.......if any one here wants to join me your more than welcome.

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Tony,
the second night after you had left,I thought I was in a jam with the 9.3,I shoot the porkers & they just run away,the scope came off,still did'nt seem to kill any hogs,got the FA out & it just got too dark for me to see the sights,funny thing though,when Brad came to get me at the end of the hunt,the first thing he says is ,looks like you had a good hunt,there's two hogs dead on the road!
we then went to collect Jim next,he informed us of a hog he had shot,we followed the blood trail & found it some distance away & he let me finish it off with the 475FA,so I did use it on a hog!
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mac

This is the third time they have gone shooting with me around the DSC, and it has been cold and or rain/snow each time.

You would think they would have some warm clothes....

We all did have a good hunt/time. Congratulations to Mississippian on his big hog,
and to Bill 74 on his FIVE hogs.... he is a Natural Born Killer. Big Grin

Bal did you get any of them with your FA 475?