THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Our .577 - ENGRAVING FINISHED!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our .577 - ENGRAVING FINISHED!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Doc and 577, Looking at the photo takes me back to Zim and my bull looking at me in the Gongue River drainage when I hit him head on... That is a very life like image of a bull up close...
My wife had to hold me in the chair as I looked at it...Exquesite...

Mike

53 days till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Jumbo looks great...amazing what a talented man can make out of a flat piece of steel.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

It is better than I hoped.

If anyone wants to see the Hi Res photo, shoot me a PM with your email addy and I'll fire it your way.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with the engraver yesterday - he hopes to have the cape buffalo finished by this weekend. Said I should get some photos on Saturday or Sunday.

Also, he said it will be completely finished by the end of June. After the Cape, he's doing the Rhino then going over the whole gun and making final improvements.

I know this type of engraving isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say, what my pop and I wanted, it's better than we hoped.

It will make its first public appearance at Cooley in mid-August.

Also, spoke to Butch earlier this week and this gun is going with him to SCI next year.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That rifle is a work of art, comparable to the very finest English/Continental.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is some fine engraving!!

Its not often one sees life-like engravings, but that elephant is stunning.

Is he copying it from photos ( think I remember you where trying to find nice photos of african animals), or doing it freehand? I would imagine you get a better result, having him do it from photos, since you have the right size of everything.

I dont want to know what the engraving costs.. Im to poor for something like that :/

I think you will enjoy this rifle alot!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another update, but no photos...YET!

Spoke with Mark today. He is finished with the cape buff and rhino - and said that he is very happy with them. (Considering how the elephant came out, I think I will be too!)

He is just finishing stamping the barrels, and said everything will be finished this week.

It's back to Butch who is going to to a few things:

Fit the extended trigger guard and return it to Mark for a day to finish the engraving on that.

Send Mark the Stock so "PPE" can be engraved on the stock medallion.

Regulaate, polish and blue the gun.

Then, it should be completely done.

Mark said that he hopes to get some finished photos to me by this weekend. When they arrive, this is the first place they are going.

I AM a kid at Christmas!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nortman:

He is doing it from photos that both he and I supplied.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
577, I would never have need of something chambered for a round like that but I'll tell you what, I'm jealous! That is absolutely a work of art. What a gorgeous piece of wood you selected. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Thanks!

Seeing your location, I just wanted to tell you that the rifle is in Prescott, AZ at this very moment - that is where the engraver is from!

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will if be ready for the DRSS HUNT?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony:

THAT IS A BIG 10 - 4 GOOD BUDDY!

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Jim:

Thanks!

Seeing your location, I just wanted to tell you that the rifle is in Prescott, AZ at this very moment - that is where the engraver is from!

We got a couple good ones here, Rachel Wells included.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We got a couple good ones here, Rachel Wells included.

Mark is one of Rachel's students, and has consulted with her on my project Smiler

Photos hopefully by this weekend.

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wonder if we need a chiropractor, or a massuse on stand by near Camp Cooley.
A young pretty one of course. thumb

PS: Bring LOTS of ammo. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I just wonder if we need a chiropractor, or a massuse on stand by near Camp Cooley.
A young pretty one of course. thumb

PS: Bring LOTS of ammo. Big Grin

Hope 577/Doc finds lots of brass in time. May have to reload at CC. rotflmo And you cannot make 28ga ammo work in a pinch. shame(just measured it against 577NE)

Hog Killer
Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now we have 40 cases of Bell and 20 cases of loaded Bell bullets that I got off the internet.

Still looking for more brass!

So, if anyone has some Horneber laying around, or know of some that is in stock somewhere, let me know!

Buffalo Arms is out of Jamison Brass; Huntingtons is out of Horneber :-(

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Make sure she's SWEET!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony,
Make sure she's SWEET!

Doc52

Git-r-done....tomorrow.

Nice Avatar, Dork.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Buffalo Arms is out of Jamison Brass; Huntingtons is out of Horneber :-(

You can buy some factory loads off of WestleyRichrds.com and shoot them up to get the empties. WR uses Horneber brass.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Few can say they have commissioned a real work of art ... regardless of the number of dollars they spent. You are most fortunate to be one of those few. Congratulations! A beauty indeed!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, our very own Lee Hooker (LHook7 - I believe) here on AR visited with Mark Swanson, the engraver of our .577 yesterday and he was kind enough to forward these photos to me.

Lee, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! I'm glad you enjoyed meeting Mark - from my conversations with him, he is a great guy.

Here are the final photos I got of the action, barrels and forend release and grip cap:

And finally, here is a photo of Mark Swanson and the barreled action. I can't express how pleased I am with Mark's work for us - I would highly recommend him to anyone interested in having engraving done.

Lee literally sent me close to 25 photos of the action and barrels from various angles. I'm lucky enough to have a high speed internet connection at home, or I would be downloading photos until 2008. If anyone wants to see other photos, just send me a note and I will forward them on to you.

Now, the action is heading back to Butch for finishing. He is going to fit the extended trigger guard and return it to Mark for engraving. Mark said that should only be a one day turn around.

So, HOPEFULLY it will be in our mits as early as mid July! And yes, it is coming to the DRSS hunt in August!

We placed the order for this on April 11, 2005 - shortly after that my father flew to Boron and spent the day with Butch and finalized the rifle.

Now, after 14 months, it is awesome that is it finally heading home!

For those of you who are interested, I will be taking a video my father shooting it for the first time - you will probably be able to see the video on America's Funniest Videos at a later date - it may even end up in Saeed's Hero's section!

(Love ya, old man!)

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW. That is going to be magnificent to say the very least. Jim

"O" = zero

NRA life member

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Doc52 and Paul...Can't tell you what a masterpiece that Searcy has turned into...
Looking forward to 2 shots...Just to say I shot it... cheers

Mike

The Selous in 34 days... Cool

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

It was my pleasure; I can't wait to see the entire rifle.

Mark is a great guy and skilled artist, if I ever need any engraving done he will definately be the one doing it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Doc & Paul

Congratulations on wonderful rifle - I hope it gives you a lifetime of pleasure, and helps make wonderful memories for you.

Please e-mail me all the pictures you have - Butch should be done with the metalwork on mine sometime in August.

Best wishes.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing it finished, hopefully in person, one day.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I have never really liked any animal scenes on any gun..... BEFORE NOW... those look perfect for that gun... nice symmetry, nice backgrounds... I too am envious...

Al

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad:

Two emails were just sent to you. Sorry for the large files!

Paul

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Paul,

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, what a gun. Now you must go to Africa and smoke an elephant...or loan it to a trusted friend to do the same with. Big Grin

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry:

THanks, Buddy. Spoke with Butch and he said unless something big happens, the rifle will be ready for the DRSS.

Is your shoulder ready for a few shots?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is truly a work of art.

The hogs will be lining up for the priviledge to be shot by that boomer.

Can't wait to see it!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that Butch Searcy isn't going to change his mind and keep that rifle when he gets it finished?

Wink

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you sure that Butch Searcy isn't going to change his mind and keep that rifle when he gets it finished?

No, but he is going to take it to future hunting conventions and shows that he attends. So all you guys will be able to see if if you stop by his booth.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking 577.
You might try John Tomas at Gun Sport www.gunsport.com for brass I know he has had several 577s and may have some brass in stock.
Enjoy your new toy.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote